Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-25-2024, 05:15 PM   #1
dandman
Enthusiast
dandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watch

Device: none
Saved search not working

i am trying to use Saved Search, once i have a search i like, i am pressing the "Saved Searches" -> "Add Saved Search" button, and i give it a name, but when i try to use the search i see the search bar is set with the name and not with the search expression

find duplicate values online
dandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:55 PM   #2
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Works for me
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2024, 07:57 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandman View Post
i am trying to use Saved Search, once i have a search i like, i am pressing the "Saved Searches" -> "Add Saved Search" button, and i give it a name, but when i try to use the search i see the search bar is set with the name and not with the search expression
Click on "Get Saved search expression"

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 07:58 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
but when i try to use the search i see the search bar is set with the name and not with the search expression
That is expected. Regardless, the Search should work and your list view should update to match the search parameter.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:49 AM   #5
dandman
Enthusiast
dandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watchdandman is clearly one to watch

what do you mean this is the way it is supposed to work ?
it is showing the word search and the title (instead of the search expression)

it does nothing and display an error, how can this be a planned "feature" ?

usually saved search will have a name at the menu and upon clicking it will search for the SAVED search
Advert
Old 05-27-2024, 10:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

usually saved search will have a name at the menu and upon clicking it will search for the SAVED search
It tells you the the search was from a SAVED search (and not DIRECTLY editable) That does not stop you from adding additional criteria.

If you want to see (or change) the term: Use the Saved searches section of Tag Browser
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 04:41 PM   #7
dandman
Enthusiast

can you please explain the logic behind displaying the name of the search when clicking the search

who in what scenario will ever use that ?

why should i do 4 clicks just to search
1. Saved Searches
2. the name of the saved search
3. Saved Searches
4. Get Saved search expression

makes no scenes
Old 05-27-2024, 05:45 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
can you please explain the logic behind displaying the name of the search when clicking the search

who in what scenario will ever use that ?

why should i do 4 clicks just to search
1. Saved Searches
2. the name of the saved search
3. Saved Searches
4. Get Saved search expression

makes no scenes
It make good sense if you do not try to read more into the operation than needed.
Click the name in the saved searches (name appears in the search bar): Click Search (assumes you gave it a meaninful name so you can identify what it does)
eg
Code:
7Day Recent Edits
search does:#edited:>7daysago

ADD is how you make a New SAVED ENTRY
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:43 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Have a look at this 17sec video. This is how it works.
https://streamable.com/x969b2

If this is not working for you, maybe it is a bug with the language for the name of the Search?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 07:13 PM   #10
dandman
Enthusiast

SOLVED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Have a look at this 17sec video. This is how it works.
https://streamable.com/x969b2

If this is not working for you, maybe it is a bug with the language for the name of the Search?
thanks for the video, now i know it does not work for me as it works for you (as i expected it to work for me),

it is not a language bug, i found 2 bad behaviors:

1. if i use double quotes (") in my name then they are not escaped and break the saved search

2. if i used a foreign language interface, saved a search that includes a translated word (like the language name) and then moved to English interface - the search will keep the translated word and will not work

thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2024, 07:44 AM   #11
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
1. if i use double quotes (") in my name then they are not escaped and break the saved search
I got some saved searches that will return "Unknown saved search", on the tooltip that shows when the search bar goes red, and the query won't run.

I had noticed this before, but I knew this was because in most cases I like to replicate the search expression in the saved search name, which can lead to some unexpected behaviour.

Some examples:

Search name - publisher:"=calibre"
Search expression - publisher:"=calibre"
Output on search bar - search:"=publisher:"=calibre""

Search name - title:~\\bthe\\send\\sof\\shistory\\b
Search expression - title:~\\bthe\\send\\sof\\shistory\\b
Output on search bar - search:"=title:~\\bthe\\send\\sof\\shistory\\b"

Search name - title:"~in\S+ble" and languages:english
Search expression - title:"~in\S+ble" and languages:english
Output on search bar - search:"=title:"~in\S+ble" and languages:english"

However when one removes the prefix search:"=, they run without issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-05-28, 08_38_03.png
Views:	13
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	208559  

Last edited by Comfy.n; 05-28-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saved search