Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2024, 11:21 PM   #1
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
Sideloading Handwriting Recognition System to use My Notebooks in Libra Colour?

I notice that the My Notebooks feature in Libra Colour requires a download of the Nebo handwriting recognition system in order to start using the Advanced Notebooks feature.

This is a problem that was partially discussed in a previous post with the Sage:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=19

[update: corrected link. Thanks, Aleron]

The issue was never resolved. It was discovered that the 4 files are needed:

myscript-iink-recognition-math.zip
myscript-iink-recognition-diagram.zip
myscript-iink-recognition-raw-content.zip
myscript-iink-recognition-text-en_US.zip

The previous poster was unable to figure out how to sideload these files to make it working. Does anyone know where should these files go on the Libra Colour (supposedly, these files are device independent)?

Perhaps this is akin to install dictionaries manually onto a sideloaded device on your own. Would be great if someone can figure this out.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-24-2024 at 01:00 AM.
shyhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:22 AM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The link you posted got truncated and isn't valid.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 12:27 AM   #3
shyhermit
Connoisseur
shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.shyhermit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Embarrassing... Newbie error. Corrected. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The link you posted got truncated and isn't valid.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:00 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As far as I know the files get unpacked into the 4 directories below the .kobo\iink directory. See the image. There is also a lastmodified.txt file in each of the 4 folders but I think that might be generated by the download and update procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-23 215827.png
Views:	66
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	208461  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:11 AM   #5
shyhermit
Connoisseur

DNSB,

I tried unzipping the above .zip files manually in Windows, recreating these folders from your screenshot in .kobo\iink on the device and then uploading the unzipped files to the corresponding folders. Did not work.

Can you take a look at the contents of the FOUR .zip files in the original post I linked (you can still download them)? Do the file contents and structures inside these zip files match the files and structures you see in .kobo\iink?

I am doing this because I am running into the exact same problem as what was described by OP in that post back in 2022. The initial sync to download the Nebo files repeatedly fails midway. I think the previous corrupted download is now preventing me from successfully installing the files. Sigh...

Ultimately, I want to see if there is a directory where I can simply deposit these zip files and the device will auto install these files to the correct locations when the device is rebooted. Is this possible?

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-24-2024 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:40 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The server was apparently down when an additional Sage arrived.
I had one already with all the files. Copying files didn't work.
The OTA update to add the MyWrite Nebo also creates database entries. It may even create info on inaccessible via USB folders.

I could only get it to work by copying everything. Even then it had errors and needed several restarts.

Eventually the OTA nebo server stuff came back by the time the next Sage was being setup.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:02 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:13 AM   #8
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
AFAIK you must log in to a Kobo account and perform an initial sync to initialise the advanced notebook system, then switch to sideload mode afterwards. If you find a way to sideload the Nebo files, you may be the first to do so.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:52 AM   #9
shyhermit
Connoisseur

Crap...

It seems the only solution is to backup all of my sideloaded books and do a complete factory reset of the device. This time, I will activate the My Notebooks feature first before restoring my stuff back to the device.

I thought that there might be an "auto-installation directory" where I can just put these zip files for the device to install during a reboot. This was a common technique for jailbreaking Apple devices.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:56 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OTA updates to Nebo and dictionaries do work when SideloadedMode=true
I thought the initial OTA install worked too on a fresh Sage with SideloadedMode=true, but I might be confused.

Certainly "sideloading" the files only works at all from another working Sage and you have to copy the databases too. It gets an error and needs restarted twice.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:51 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The OTA updates to Nebo and dictionaries do work when SideloadedMode=true. I thought the initial OTA install worked too on a fresh Sage with SideloadedMode=true, but I might be confused.
I tried with my Libra Colour factory reset and in Sideloaded mode, and it was able to download the updates.

Given that in another thread, @shyhermit was unable to download dictionaries, I'm wondering if being unable to download the Nebo updates is another aspect of the same issue.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 05:29 PM   #12
shyhermit
Connoisseur

I think you are right... It all started after I got an aborted dictionary download error (it was the Japanese dictionary) after successfully installing the default English dictionary. All of the download problems came after that. I am trying desperately to avoid a complete factory reset as it is a pain to sideload all of my books and to set up everything the way I want, including all of the PDF annotations I already made (which there are many hundreds) that will all be lost after the reset.

Crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I tried with my Libra Colour factory reset and in Sideloaded mode, and it was able to download the updates.

Given that in another thread, @shyhermit was unable to download dictionaries, I'm wondering if being unable to download the Nebo updates is another aspect of the same issue.

Last edited by shyhermit; 05-24-2024 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2024, 06:58 PM   #13
Lee3
Enthusiast
Lee3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Im also trying to solve this problem, but for my Elipsa 2e...

The problem is my wifi doesnt work period.

Why must they enforce this auto-update cloud type stuff.

Manual install is preferred.
Lee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 05:27 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Perhaps they pay a per device activated royalty to Mywrite for the custom Nebo SW?

Do you have WiFi, or is the Elipsa faulty?
Old 05-28-2024, 11:09 AM   #15
Lee3
Enthusiast
Lee3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Perhaps they pay a per device activated royalty to Mywrite for the custom Nebo SW?

Do you have WiFi, or is the Elipsa faulty?
wifi module broken entirely
Lee3 is offline   Reply With Quote