Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-23-2024, 04:55 PM   #2716
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo discontinued the Libra 2 and left us with the awful Libra Colour. So we have no decent B&W Kobo larger then 6". The Colour models are rubbish (IMHO) and the Sage and Elipsa are also rubbish because the battery is terrible.

As it stands, the batter in the Libra Colour is also rubbish because you need the light on at a level that's higher then you'd normally use.

The Libra 2 is a good model with good battery and a good screen. So unless Kobo is planning on replacing it with a new Libra, they've (IMHO) screwed themselves over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 06:41 PM   #2717
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is more recent than the L2 color release. (I looked then)
I did not the site said Out of Stock, not discontinued

I do agree the L2 (not color) is a fine reader
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2024, 07:18 PM   #2718
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Cheer up, Jon! There's always Kindle.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:52 PM   #2719
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Jon, as a Sage owner, I would like to point out that I do not find the battery life to be rubbish. Yes, it is not as good as my other Kobo ereaders but it lasts me 2 to 3 days reading an average of 4 to 5 hours a day. Given that Kobo used to quote the battery life for reading 30 minutes per day, that number is pretty decent. About ⅔ of what I see on my Clara HD or Libra Colour—4 hours for 2 days is equivalent to 16 days using the reading 30 minutes per day with frontlight and WiFi off. Not all that bad for a 1,200mAH battery though I still wonder what some of Kobo's designers were smoking when they gave the power hungry CPU on the Sage the same battery as the Forma.

By comparison, one friend of mine has a Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition. This has a single core CPU and a 1700mAH battery. Amazon rates the battery life at 10 weeks with the usual reading 30 minutes per day (so 35 hours of reading), no WiFi. Real world testing says that after a few deep discharge/charge cycles you are see the equivalent to a 6 week battery life since most people read with the frontlight on and seldom remember to turn WiFi off.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 06:43 AM   #2720
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, as a Sage owner, I would like to point out that I do not find the battery life to be rubbish. Yes, it is not as good as my other Kobo ereaders but it lasts me 2 to 3 days reading an average of 4 to 5 hours a day. Given that Kobo used to quote the battery life for reading 30 minutes per day, that number is pretty decent. About ⅔ of what I see on my Clara HD or Libra Colour—4 hours for 2 days is equivalent to 16 days using the reading 30 minutes per day with frontlight and WiFi off. Not all that bad for a 1,200mAH battery though I still wonder what some of Kobo's designers were smoking when they gave the power hungry CPU on the Sage the same battery as the Forma.

By comparison, one friend of mine has a Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition. This has a single core CPU and a 1700mAH battery. Amazon rates the battery life at 10 weeks with the usual reading 30 minutes per day (so 35 hours of reading), no WiFi. Real world testing says that after a few deep discharge/charge cycles you are see the equivalent to a 6 week battery life since most people read with the frontlight on and seldom remember to turn WiFi off.
WOW, only 30 minutes per day! That makes the Sage look like fantastic battery life.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2024, 08:36 AM   #2721
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Jon, as a Sage owner, I would like to point out that I do not find the battery life to be rubbish. Yes, it is not as good as my other Kobo ereaders but it lasts me 2 to 3 days reading an average of 4 to 5 hours a day. Given that Kobo used to quote the battery life for reading 30 minutes per day, that number is pretty decent.
I'm sure I get more than that, but no front light, wifi or BT.

Yes, it's not as good as Libra but better than the Oasis 2.

Weight can be reduced by removing all the internal magnets. That was a bad design for the power cover. They pick up all sorts of stuff.

Edit:
The Elipsa is too big and heavy, as is reMarkable, or Kindle DXG compared to the Sage, yet they are not big enough for all PDFs. The Sage is nice size to relax with for 8 hours of solid reading.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2024 at 08:40 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:12 AM   #2722
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'm sure I get more than that, but no front light, wifi or BT.
WiFi is the killer. A dim front light is negligible. I never turn mine off. BT isn't bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Weight can be reduced by removing all the internal magnets.
They go crazy with magnets. These are all the ones that I removed from my Poke5 and I can still hold the device just by the front cover without it opening. As I've said many times, just cut your cover down to a front flap and a vestigial back tab and glue it to your device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poke5split4.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	208462  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:45 AM   #2723
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
WOW, only 30 minutes per day! That makes the Sage look like fantastic battery life.
This is AD-manship striking again. How do you make a number look BIGGER?
Change the criteria that was used to measured it.

Back in the 50's, The US FTC had to step in and make rules on how HiFi (stereo) Amplifiers Output POWER RATINGS were advertised.

Some were so skewed because they used the power IN (mains) consumption (These were Tube back then, so 300W was not unusual for a 10W output)
Some bright engineer, came up with using a single click (on a single channel) to get some really insane numbers. and the list goes on...
The rule became: All channels driven, into rated load (8 ohms was common) for 8 hours.

TV sets were similarly distorted. Originally the CRT was round so 8" was still 8" even at 4:3. But then the tube became rectangular and Diagonal screen measurement still exists to this day
Well, e-readers started on PDA's and (monochrome) LCD. Battery life was not much, so why not use a 'commute' as the read time (I sure hope you are not one of the IDIOTS that I have seen driving with a Newspaper resting on the steering wheel the predecessor to reading on a phone while driving)

So it all breaks down to who had the better NUMBERS, forcing the followers to use the same insane criteria or they look bad.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 01:15 PM   #2724
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
TV sets were similarly distorted. Originally the CRT was round so 8" was still 8" even at 4:3. But then the tube became rectangular and Diagonal screen measurement still exists to this day
And a 2/3rd inch vidicon camera tube (or four thirds) wasn't the diagonal of the image area. It was the outside diameter of the tube, or even the metal ring around the end.
That's refusing to die!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_T...d_aspect_ratio
A Four Thirds of an inch is 33.9mm. The MFT sensor is 22.5mm diagonal.

The diagonal of the later CRTS, even monitors, was to the edge of the tube, so a 17″ CRT was really a 16″ diagonal image. At least the Plasma, LCD, OLED it's the image on monitors, but often phones or tablets use rounded up or down numbers.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2024 at 01:25 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:28 PM   #2725
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then there is the TV size class that seems to be popular. I was helping a friend look for a new TV over the last weekend and we found TVs that measured 64.2" corner to corner being sold as 65" class TVs. One of the '65"' TVs we measured had ultra-thin bezels and measuring a 65" diagonal had the measurement ending about 10mm past the end of the display.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:52 PM   #2726
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Could you take the television discussion to the tech thread in the Lounge, please? Let's try to get this one back on topic for a bit.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:18 PM   #2727
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reading on a large screen TV but not being able to rotate it to get it portrait.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:24 PM   #2728
DNSB
Bibliophagist

From a recent newsletter, my wife found out that an author whose work she loves has dropped out of Kindle Unlimited. Twice now her books have been found on pirate sites and both times Amazon kicked her out of KU, withheld earnings, etc. She managed to convince them after considerable effort to restore her books to KU and pay out her accumulated earnings on both occasions.

After the second time, she withdrew her books from Kindle Unlimited and is now selling wide including Kobo. On Kobo, she has her books in Kobo Plus so those who wanted a subscription to read her books still have that option. From what she wrote, her earnings have dropped slightly but she no longer has to worry that someone will pirate her next book forcing her to spend hours that could be better spent writing being wasted on fighting Amazon about content being 'freely available on the web'.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:44 PM   #2729
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reading on a large screen TV but not being able to rotate it to get it portrait.
VESA mount with rotate capability.

But your TV is large enough that 2 column mode should work well.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:51 PM   #2730
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
From a recent newsletter, my wife found out that an author whose work she loves has dropped out of Kindle Unlimited. Twice now her books have been found on pirate sites and both times Amazon kicked her out of KU, withheld earnings, etc. She managed to convince them after considerable effort to restore her books to KU and pay out her accumulated earnings on both occasions.

After the second time, she withdrew her books from Kindle Unlimited and is now selling wide including Kobo. On Kobo, she has her books in Kobo Plus so those who wanted a subscription to read her books still have that option. From what she wrote, her earnings have dropped slightly but she no longer has to worry that someone will pirate her next book forcing her to spend hours that could be better spent writing being wasted on fighting Amazon about content being 'freely available on the web'.
Why does Amazon penalize authors who are at no fault for having their books pirated?