Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2024, 04:46 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's printed on top of the top of the eink top cover and then the light pipe layer "stuck" on. Next is the touch capacitive parts, which on an integrated panel will be partly deposited on the light pipe layer (probably tin thin enough to be transparent.

So, not easy and some printed inks don't easily dissolve in anything. I did industrial control panel screen printing for a while and once the ink set it wasn't removable. The screens had to be cleaned at once while wet and washing off the stencil was a pain too. It was soft, rollered on, exposed to UV via mask and backing peeled off. Then the unwanted portions washed off (I think where UV was blocked by mask).

We usually charged for a screen too in case we couldn't clean it. We gave it up. Too much work for small runs of custom control panels.

They might be "custom ink jet" printing the CFA (the coloured dots) as they are small for screen printing, but ICs are using 2nm smallest detail photolithography by ASML using short UV light.
So in that case, would it be possible to buy a 7" Carta 1300 screen and replace the screen of the Libra Colour? Since the vcom and be adjusted, adjust the vcom value and then no more color layer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:37 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So in that case, would it be possible to buy a 7" Carta 1300 screen and replace the screen of the Libra Colour? Since the vcom and be adjusted, adjust the vcom value and then no more color layer.
In theory yes. Looking at the Clara Colour/Clara BW, the driver electronics are the same.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2024, 10:21 PM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
If only it was easy to pull out the CFA layer from the Libra Colour. Then we'd have a Libra BW.
One that would cost about $30 more. Which makes me wonder if that's the real reason Kobo isn't releasing a Libra BW. More revenue per unit.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:09 AM   #49
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Has anyone actually verified the Libra2 has been discontinued or is this still speculation? I just now went to the Kobo US site and the Libra 2 is still listed for $189.99 but is noted as "Sold Out". However, there is a pop-up button on the page that says "Text me if back in stock". That seems an odd pop-up if it were truly discontinued.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:14 AM   #50
DJUNGELSKOG
DJUNGELSKOG doesn't litterDJUNGELSKOG doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW5/Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny;
Same situation here, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing a purchase of the current model. I'm also not stating that the current version of Kaleido is better at displaying BW text than Carta. However, the fact that everyone is acting so surprised and disgusted that the Libra2 was discontinued is mind boggling. Three obvious down sides to having both models:
1. Logistical nightmare to produce both models,
2. Squeeze gross margins(think economies of scale)
3. Creating artificial competition between their own products for the same market share.

Clearly Kobo believes that the Kaleido technology is the better path into the future. As the technology continues to get better, it will outpace Carta capabilities at a wide margin.
When the technology will get better I’ll consider it, but as of today, Libra Colour is an inferior device for those of us who do not read any colour content. It adds no extra value to my reading experience because I’m using the device to read b&w text and not to stare at the covers. At the same time I’d have to live with a darker screen and with the screen door effect. I have seen the device in Mediamarkt, I didn’t like it and I have no wish to buy a device and then be “adjusting” to it for the sake of Kobo’s tech roadmap.

I don’t understand why you find the fact that not everyone wants to be an early adopter “mind boggling”.
DJUNGELSKOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2024, 02:41 AM   #51
kyôdai
Groupie
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
I just now went to the Kobo US site and the Libra 2 is still listed for $189.99 but is noted as "Sold Out". However, there is a pop-up button on the page that says "Text me if back in stock". That seems an odd pop-up if it were truly discontinued.
That "Text me if back in stock" - button does not mean anything, unfortunately.
It seems to pop up automatically on any "sold out" product in the Kobo store. Like for example the Libra H2O, Aura One or Aura H2O , which are definitely EOL and not coming back ever.

Also "still listed" is not correct.
Yes, you can still find the Libra 2 in the kobo store by using the search function, as you can find many other older devices. But it is currently not listed on the overview page anymore.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:01 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
Has anyone actually verified the Libra2 has been discontinued or is this still speculation? I just now went to the Kobo US site and the Libra 2 is still listed for $189.99 but is noted as "Sold Out". However, there is a pop-up button on the page that says "Text me if back in stock". That seems an odd pop-up if it were truly discontinued.
Also given the Kobo chats posted on Reddit, I would say the Libra 2 is discontinued.

There is no mention of the Libra 2 on the Kobo US and UK sites.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:49 AM   #53
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Gone on Kobo EU
https://eu.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders

Oddly the seem to have the original Elipsa as well as the Elipsa 2E.

There can't be a replacement for the Libra mono any time soon as there is nothing pending in FCC?

So it's a 6″ Clara BW or an 8″ Sage. I've one coat with big enough pockets for a Sage. I do still have a Libra original and a Libra2. The original Libra has the most reliable page turns via buttons, important for recording narration.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:17 AM   #54
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Elipsa 1 probably sold so poorly that Kobo still has plenty of them left in the warehouse.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 04:45 AM   #55
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The 10.3″ is niche market in what is already a niche market. I can't imagine the Elipsa 2E sells well either. But both are far better than the reMarkable and the Scribe ecosystem is contrary to what Corporate users need, which is arguably the biggest segment of this niche. At least Sony & Fujitsu thought so.
The DX and DXG were total failures for Amazon, but the 9.7″ was too small and 150 dpi too low and HW too slow for Education & PDFs. Other issues too. i got a DXG in their last massive discount sale when they had been in warehouse for years. Still a waste of money.
The reMarkable and Elipsa was also a waste of money. The 8″ Sage does notes and PDFs better.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-24-2024 at 04:50 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:47 AM   #56
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
Also "still listed" is not correct.
Yes, you can still find the Libra 2 in the kobo store by using the search function, as you can find many other older devices. But it is currently not listed on the overview page anymore.
I think it is discontinued (per Reddit posts) but it is still linked on the front page of Kobo's U.S. site. (Bottom, right corner.) And, if you click "View All" there, it's still in the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frontpage.png
Views:	45
Size:	651.6 KB
ID:	208464  

Last edited by rcentros; 05-24-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:23 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think it is discontinued (per Reddit posts) but it is still linked on the front page of Kobo's U.S. site. (Bottom, right corner.) And, if you click "View All" there, it's still in the list.
The Libra 2 is also now listed on the UK site as well. I looked at the UK site recently and it wasn't there. Maybe Kobo changed their mind and will bring it back.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:39 PM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
Windows Vista had a poor launch and was an inferior product to XP in many regards. However, it paved the path that led to arguably the greatest OS of all time Windows 7. In fact, many people just skipped Vista and went directly from XP-->7.

Same situation here, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing a purchase of the current model. I'm also not stating that the current version of Kaleido is better at displaying BW text then Carta. However, the fact that everyone is acting so surprised and disgusted that the Libra2 was discontinued is mind boggling. Three obvious down sides to having both models:
1. Logistical nightmare to produce both models,
2. Squeeze gross margins(think economies of scale)
3. Creating artificial competition between their own products for the same market share.

Clearly Kobo believes that the Kaleido technology is the better path into the future. As the technology continues to get better, it will outpace Carta capabilities at a wide margin.
Kaleido is just Carta with a color veneer on top. It can't "outpace" Carta. It's a stopgap measure until we have sufficiently improve Gallery -- eink with colored instead of black and white particles. Kaleido is probably a dead end and can't be improved much. I would not be surprised if Amazon skipped it altogether.

(It's possible Gallery is also a dead end and they can't get the refresh time down to a usable level.)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 12:05 AM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The Libra 2 is also now listed on the UK site as well. I looked at the UK site recently and it wasn't there. Maybe Kobo changed their mind and will bring it back.
It seems to me a Libra BW should be a no-brainer, especially if everything is the same except for the added screen "overlay" (as has been mentioned here).
Old 05-25-2024, 12:09 AM   #60
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Kaleido is just Carta with a color veneer on top. It can't "outpace" Carta. It's a stopgap measure until we have sufficiently improve Gallery -- eink with colored instead of black and white particles. Kaleido is probably a dead end and can't be improved much. I would not be surprised if Amazon skipped it altogether.
Since Amazon sees the number of PocketBook and Kobo color sales (that go through their website anyhow) they may wait and see how well they do, while deciding if they should get into the market or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
(It's possible Gallery is also a dead end and they can't get the refresh time down to a usable level.)
I think that's probably true.