Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2024, 12:47 AM   #16
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Why in the world would they discontinue (what appeared to be) their most popular reader? Do they think people are really that interested in the Colour version?
Cynically, perhaps to drive up demand for the Colour?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:09 AM   #17
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm definitely worried that if most people think the Colour is "good enough" that Kobo will discontinue BW readers above 6".
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:30 AM   #18
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Cynically, perhaps to drive up demand for the Colour?
If true, that will benefit PocketBook and their Era model. Unless PocketBook is planning on dropping their black and white version also.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:30 AM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'm definitely worried that if most people think the Colour is "good enough" that Kobo will discontinue BW readers above 6".
I hope that's not the case.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:33 AM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

BTW, on the U.S. Kobo site I'm still seeing the Libra 2 listed — but still sold out.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...39523827417158
Old 05-23-2024, 04:49 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I hope that's not the case.
Me too. I definitely do not want a color ereader at the current tech level.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:54 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It is in stock again on Amazon USA, someone on Reddit mentioned it today, but supposedly at $10 more than manufacturer suggested retail. Only the black color though.

To me it seems silly for Kobo to discontinue it until there is another BW model to fill the slot, for those who don't want color, but Kobo seems to feel otherwise.

Up until recently, if I clicked on "all e-readers" on the Kobo site, Libra 2 was listed but out-of-stock. Now, it's not listed.

If someone is desperate to get a Libra 2, I'd do it before remaining stock disappears.

If you aren't desperate, then the Sage is a wonderful device. I absolutely love mine. Text looks like they printed the ink right on the screen!
Since you looked at Kobo US, I looked at Kobo UK and there is no Libra 2 listed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 04:57 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's Blue Proton, who seem to now be Kobo's unofficial "official" dealer in the United States. Now that Libra 2 has been discontinued, they'll probably jump the price more.

If you go to Blue Proton this is the first screen you'll see (attached).
The only Libra 2 Blue Proton is a open box, like new. They have no brand new Libra 2.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:03 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
BTW, on the U.S. Kobo site I'm still seeing the Libra 2 listed — but still sold out.

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/ko...39523827417158
The UK link also shows sold out.

https://uk.kobobooks.com/products/ko...39523827417158[/QUOTE]
Old 05-23-2024, 05:04 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I hope not. I don't want a color eInk Reader as it's too dark for what I read.

Also, this is going to give a huge boost to Amazon. The PW5 (IMHO) will sell a lot better without a Libra 2 available.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:16 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, this is going to give a huge boost to Amazon. The PW5 (IMHO) will sell a lot better without a Libra 2 available.
I hardly think that's true. Most Kindle users are not MR members and don't deDRM their books - they buy from Amazon, download to their Kindle, read, rinse and repeat. They would never think of buying the Libra 2, as they're part of the Kindle ecosystem and have no idea how to read ebooks in any other way.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:54 AM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only Libra 2 Blue Proton is a open box, like new. They have no brand new Libra 2.
Blue Proton is advertising new Libra 2s on Amazon in the U.S.

https://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Touchscr...02&sr=8-3&th=1
Old 05-23-2024, 08:52 AM   #28
Penny
Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's surprising how many people are criticizing Kobo despite their improvements and upgrades to the e-ink model. Why would they offer an inferior product and purposely suppress the advancement of their e-ink technology? Historically, companies have always had to force the adoption of new technology, much to the dismay of legacy users. Floppy disks were replaced by USB/CDs, wired headphones transitioned to Bluetooth, the list goes on and on. The commonality is that these advancements had to be forced onto the consumers until they were able to make sense of the long-term vision. It seems like everyone here wants to stick with antiquated Carta e-ink technology instead of adopting the far more versatile Kaleido e-ink. If Kobo remains tied to Carta technology, they risk losing market share to competitors using the next generation of Kaleido e-ink.

Last edited by Penny; 05-23-2024 at 08:55 AM.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:26 AM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny View Post
It seems like everyone here wants to stick with antiquated Carta e-ink technology instead of adopting the far more versatile Kaleido e-ink.
That's because currently Carta eink is better than Kaleido when reading straight black-and-white novels.

I don't mind switching to Kaleido WHEN it's at the same level or better than Carta for black and white. I don't read comics, web articles, PDF files on my Kobos; I read black and white novels. I don't need color, I need superb black and white experience. As long as Kaleido doesn't deliver it, I stick to Carta.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:02 AM   #30
Penny
Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That's because currently Carta eink is better than Kaleido when reading straight black-and-white novels.

I don't mind switching to Kaleido WHEN it's at the same level or better than Carta for black and white. I don't read comics, web articles, PDF files on my Kobos; I read black and white novels. I don't need color, I need superb black and white experience. As long as Kaleido doesn't deliver it, I stick to Carta.
Windows Vista had a poor launch and was an inferior product to XP in many regards. However, it paved the path that led to arguably the greatest OS of all time Windows 7. In fact, many people just skipped Vista and went directly from XP-->7.

Same situation here, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing a purchase of the current model. I'm also not stating that the current version of Kaleido is better at displaying BW text then Carta. However, the fact that everyone is acting so surprised and disgusted that the Libra2 was discontinued is mind boggling. Three obvious down sides to having both models:
1. Logistical nightmare to produce both models,
2. Squeeze gross margins(think economies of scale)
3. Creating artificial competition between their own products for the same market share.

Clearly Kobo believes that the Kaleido technology is the better path into the future. As the technology continues to get better, it will outpace Carta capabilities at a wide margin.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote