Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2024, 08:14 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Kindle Scribe: Page Turns on PDFs

When I use Send To Kindle and upload a PDF, it converts the PDF to a print replica KFX file, which is great. But I notice these files require a swipe to turn a page and not just a tap.

The completely breaks my page turn remote control that I just bought.

Is there some way to PDFs to turn pages by tapping intead of swiping?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

More experimenting…

What the heck is Amazon thinking?? if I upload the PDF to Send to Kindle, Amazon converts it to a KFX. These Print Replica KFX files will only do a page turn with a swipe.

But, if I use PDF Compressor to convert my PDF to Black and White and then side load them, I can turn pages with a tap and my page turner works.

I don't understand what Amazon is thinking. Why do Print Replica KFX files require a swipe instead of a tap to turn pages?
Old 05-21-2024, 04:33 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Why convert at all? Other applications and readers can annotate PDFs as PDFs just fine.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:15 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
When I use Send To Kindle and upload a PDF, it converts the PDF to a print replica KFX file, which is great. But I notice these files require a swipe to turn a page and not just a tap.

The completely breaks my page turn remote control that I just bought.

Is there some way to PDFs to turn pages by tapping intead of swiping?
You need to do one of the following: 1) hide the toolbar or 2) set the tool to 'finger' icon.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-21-2024 at 08:18 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:17 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Why convert at all? Other applications and readers can annotate PDFs as PDFs just fine.
If you use send to kindle it is not much of a choice: it converts to Print Replica format (unless conversion fails for some reason).
Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 PM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Unless you convert via Send to Kindle, you can't get the scroll bar on the bottom to let you scrub through a book.
Old 05-21-2024, 09:13 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You need to do one of the following: 1) hide the toolbar or 2) set the tool to 'finger' icon.
Hiding the writing toolbar worked! Thank you!!!
Old 05-22-2024, 06:39 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Unless you convert via Send to Kindle, you can't get the scroll bar on the bottom to let you scrub through a book.
That's missing the point. That's by Amazon's deliberate design.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:41 AM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
That's missing the point. That's by Amazon's deliberate design.
Is your recommendation that I should use something other than a Kindle?

1. The 300 ppi screen was only available on the Scribe
2. The Black Friday deal on it.

If it wasn't for those two things, I would have probably bought an Onyx reader.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:47 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Complain to Amazon.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:10 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

PDFs have never been supported well on Kindle platform. Even if you had to choice to not convert, it would be pointless to do so.

Print Replica functions very well for my use cases.

My only complaint remains that Kindle store in this format is not available for Scribe, even a year and a half since it shipped. I keep sending feedback about it but assume it will never happen.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-22-2024 at 11:42 PM.