Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #1726
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I do the reverse , Pages, not words.

Look on the Other tab for Count pages: That may affect the posting of lookup results.

BTW I am a bit with Jon on this path. Those stats are frequently from users that do it 'Their Way', so the cant be counted on. I prefer using the plugins built methods for CONSISTENCY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CountOther.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	204853  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 12:42 PM   #1727
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use the ADE method to count the pages of an ePub. Once you get used to ADE page numbers, they work really well to give yo a sense of the length of the book.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-11-2024 at 02:19 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:17 AM   #1728
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
From Goodreads you only get pages, I think, no word counts.
Wiggo is correct.

As to why the menu name "implies" otherwise in your mind - well naming is hard, and Im sure davidfor at the time he added this feature thought it an ok compromise. What it is trying to say is that both the page count and word count will potentially get updated when you choose that menu item. So if you ran it against a new book for instance it wouldnt just be updating the page count from the website, it would also be updating the word count too assuming you have a custom column configured for it.

However the word count itself is of course calculated locally using the book format in your library.

My care factor is not sufficiently high enough to rename the menu as it is a feature I don't use and would mean asking all the translators to have to do additional work for their side of things...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 09:12 AM   #1729
chillybang
chillybang began at the beginning.

Device: samsung s8
Plugin doesn't work properly

- Esitimations are pretty wrong - deviances are around 30%,

- Trying to download page count from GoodReads ends up with
Code:
No identifiers for selected download sources
, despite of having both of title and ISBN in book metadata and the GoodReads database.

Latest Calibre (7.3) x64 in use.
chillybang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:14 AM   #1730
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillybang View Post
- Trying to download page count from GoodReads ends up with
Code:
No identifiers for selected download sources
, despite of having both of title and ISBN in book metadata and the GoodReads database.
For downloading from goodreads, you need goodreads id associated to the book, the plugin doesn't look for goodreads id.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:55 AM   #1731
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
- Esitimations are pretty wrong - deviances are around 30%
Deviance from what? These are ebooks and the ADE estimate gives a good approximation of the page counts and is consistent when compared between e-books.

Quote:
- Trying to download page count from GoodReads
The first post in this thread says the following regarding downloading the Goodreads page count:
Quote:
The second page count option is to download the page count from a web page on the Goodreads.com website for your specific linked edition. This can be used for a book with any formats (or even none). How is a goodreads identifier linked? Either by using the Goodreads metadata download plugin, the Goodreads Sync plugin, or by manually typing a goodreads:xxx id into your identifiers field for the edition of interest. If the edition you have linked to has no page count, you can switch editions using a feature added to the Goodreads Sync plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:55 AM   #1732
chillybang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Deviance from what?
From the "real" page number. With "real" I mean the number of pages in the document, counted i.e. by Adobe Reader.

Quote:
How is a goodreads identifier linked?
Good info, my fail. I thought a title or ISBN number serve as an ID. I will try methods you listed and report.
Old 01-12-2024, 08:48 AM   #1733
chillybang

And plugin's own estimation fires a new error while estimation of 300 from 1200 epubs: "No convertible format found". Very strange, because 800 previous and next epubs are from the same source (same web library), and were correctly processed...
Old 01-12-2024, 10:31 AM   #1734
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I hope you are not violating MR rules (at the bottom of most MR pages) by using one of those Web Libraries.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:10 PM   #1735
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Deviance from what? These are ebooks and the ADE estimate gives a good approximation of the page counts and is consistent when compared between e-books.
Quote:
From the "real" page number. With "real" I mean the number of pages in the document, counted i.e. by Adobe Reader.
Given that you are using Adobe Reader, it suggests that you are using PDF files which are page oriented and can have little to no text content.

If you are attempting to use the Adobe Synthetic Page count algorithm, it should pop up a message that "WARNING: Page/word/statistics warnings: Could not analyse some statistics" along with a list of the books with "(ADOBE page count requires EPUB format)" None of the other algorithms will help since they are not intended to work with a PDF file.

Adobe Reader does not count the # of pages, it uses the number of pages that is part of a PDF documents properties. See sample properties image attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDF_Document_Properties.png
Views:	69
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	205777  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:33 AM   #1736
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
I have a small (I hope) feature request.

I have a mix of actual ebooks and empty placeholders in my libraries and I like to have page numbers for all of them and word counts for the ebooks, I have the page numbers set to download from Goodreads which works for everything, but it will error out if the word count option has a custom column selected and a placeholder book that has no formats is selected.

Code:
calibre, version 7.5.1
WARNING: Page/word/statistics warnings: Could not analyse some statistics in 1 of 1 books, for reasons shown in details below.

Unseelie - Ivelisse Housman (No convertible format found)
Could we get an option to ignore books with no formats when getting word counts rather than getting an error? At the moment I have to go in and out of the settings turning on and off the word count feature, it would be lovely to be able to just do all the books at once.

I shouldn't write posts before bed, I lost the trail of thought somewhere here and my post lost its meaning.

My problem is when you have selected a mix of placeholder and normal ebooks and the word count option has a custom column selected, it will skip the placeholder books entirely, it will update the word counts for the normal ebooks as BetterRed says, but it will skip the placeholder books, meaning it doesn't download the page numbers for them. I'd like it to download the page numbers for all the books and calculate the word counts for the normal ebooks.

Thank you, this and your other plugins are so incredibly useful!

Last edited by Penny_Dreadful; 02-12-2024 at 01:06 AM.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 03:08 PM   #1737
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It is not an Error message, it is a Warning.

If you select OK you should get the updated word counts for the books that have a format file - I say 'should' because I have the plugin do the count rather than downloading from Goodreads.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 12:36 AM   #1738
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
It updates the word count for the other ebooks but it skips the placeholder books entirely, so I don't get downloaded page numbers for them. Sorry I realise rereading my post that wasn't as clear as I'd meant it to be.
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 02:10 AM   #1739
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Do it in two bunches

Last edited by Wiggo; 02-12-2024 at 02:19 AM.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:11 AM   #1740
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny_Dreadful View Post
It updates the word count for the other ebooks but it skips the placeholder books entirely, so I don't get downloaded page numbers for them. Sorry I realise rereading my post that wasn't as clear as I'd meant it to be.
Gotcha… the way I use placeholders either sees me set the word count to 1,000,000 for sorting purposes, or I'm happy to leave it unset.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin