Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-23-2024, 11:41 AM   #1
moshin
moshin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Air 3C, Kindly PW 7th Gen
Hello From Brooklyn, New York, USA

Hi,

Im a long time, voracious reader of non-fiction and technical manuals.

Im a network engineer by trade and am always knee deep in learning new things.

A long time Kindle owner, who has been less than in love with Calibre to Kindle, at least for my DRM free content. I am looking to get more in line with the community and take advantage of my new BOOX Note Air 3C, and take my calibre stuff up a notch, with my self hosting setup an optimal ebook library, cloud sync etc etc etc.

As such I posted the below on a forum eariler today and they directed me here, however I am not entirely sure where to pose this question, so ill put it here for now :-)

Excited to get deep into this and learn learn learn!

-------

Hi, So long time almost kindle/calibre user that sort of was frustrated by the friction but managed to get my books on via email and read them well enough. I was able to read a book on my kindle, or my kindle app with bookmarks in place and this was pretty awesome.

Recently I got a Onyx Boox Note Air 3 C and want to step things up a notch. I got the air to help with technical manuals, magazines, diagrams etc. As a gadgeteer, and a self hosted type of IT pro, I am hoping to find a way to leverage the calibre library and get that dialed in, with the ability to sync library and my bookmarks across as many devices possible.

I currently have various iOS devices a couple kindles, the Note Air 3 C, and am looking at a palma. I am running Calibre in docker (on my synology if that matters)

I am looking at KOreader ( i know, no Ios, or computers aside from linux, but looks like I can jailbrake my kindles) People doing things with SyncThing, I've a few questions was hoping some kind redditors can help me find my way.

Using Syncthing, are folks syncing the Calibre Library or the whole docker config folder with all the fun meta data looking folders

Does syncthing keep your library AND bookmarks synced across devices?

Is there an app, paid or free, that is more multi platform than KO reader? iOS would be nice if I didn't have the mind to grab a reader. Or sometimes maybe read on my laptop a la iBooks.

Calibre / Calibre Web / Calibre Content Server - Confused by this over lap. I run the calibre docker, and have also spun up calibre web. The Calibre docker seems to be a full calibre web client to manage and read your library, the calibre web docker seems to be a light webface for only reading your library, but isn't the calibre content server basically calibre web? Is the content server new functionality that makes the calibre web docker less useful?

Calibre seem to be ubiquitous and a gold standard, but should I be considering something else to centralize around? Something that may be better suited for the task at hand?

The age old issue, are you folks keeping organized folders of your books OUTSIDE of the Libre managed folder, or do you just let Calibre Jesus take the wheel? I currently have my own eBooks folder, and its separate from the Calibre Library.

Again, looking for something that allows me to really consolidate and centralize my ebook library in an organized data hoarder kind of way. Ideally it would also sync across multiple platforms, and sync bookmarks as well. I've got a little bit of know how, and access to some resources, so if any one can help point me in the right direction. I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance to anyone who read this far.
moshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:29 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Hello and welcome to MobileRead!

Personally, I let Calibre take the wheel and don't much care about file/folder organization. But then I don't sync or use multiple platforms or even KOReader (I've tried the latter, but there are things about it I dislike, and overall I like the Kobo native interface better (heavily patched, though)). I read 99% on my Kobo readers; all the books are sideloaded, but I don't need syncing, it's easy enough to find my place manually when switching between the devices. I read mostly fiction, so no note-taking, highlighting etc.

My Calibre library resides on my Windows computer and at the moment I don't need it syncing across different devices either. Backups of the library are kept in Dropbox and on external drives.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote