Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 01-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #1
mfaine1
mfaine1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Copy from viewer to web form results in invisible characters being added

I'm reading a book in Spanish and trying to copy the words I don't know into a web form and additional characters are being added, for example:

or*gu*llo*sos

When pasted into a search form at SpanishDict.com becomes:

or%C2%ADgu%C2%ADllo%C2%ADsos

Is this an option or something that I can turn off to prevent this?

Thanks
Mark
mfaine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are non-breaking spaces. If they are present in the text they will be present when copied as well. The viewer has no way to know whether the non-breaking spaces are safe to replace with ordinary spaces or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:52 PM   #3
mfaine1
mfaine1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't imagine a scenario in which copy and pasting non-breaking spaces as normal spaces would matter though I could be wrong. Still, would it be possible to replace invisible characters (such as this) with a regular space either globally or at the book level? It kind of breaks the copy/paste functionality otherwise. I think in 100% of the cases the user is not going to intend to copy non-breaking spaces to the clipboard.
mfaine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 09:08 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would definitely expect non-breaking spaces to be preserved when copying text. non-breaking spaces often have semantic meaning. And if you want to replace then use search and replace either via the edit book tool or by doing a conversion from whatever format the book is in to the same format.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:21 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Perhaps a minor nit but if I recall correctly, %C2%A0 would be a non-breaking space. %C2%AD would be a soft hyphen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:40 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Ah in that case you can use the Polish books tool in calibre to remove them automatically.