Notices

Old 12-31-2023, 08:56 PM   #1
jwhittin
Enthusiast
jwhittin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Economist 2023 Christmas Edition

Hi,

I've found that the standard Economist recipe isn't downloading all the Christmas Special articles in the Christmas edition. I've replicated the problem so it's not a one-off.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, is there a way to fix it?

Here's a list of what worked and didn't:
No On safari...
Yes Many...
No Global warming...
No How five...
Yes A tale...
Yes What the...
Yes A short...
Yes Millions of...
Yes How the...
Yes Where capitalism...
Yes Why Tamil...
Yes Why more...
Yes What responsibilities...
Yes The best...
Yes Oceania’s wayfinding...
Yes The life-giving...
Yes Why economists...
No The truth...
Yes Meet the...
Yes Inside the...
Yes AI is...

Thanks

John
jwhittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:11 AM   #2
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
Code:
Skipping interactive article: On safari in South Sudan, one of the world’s most dangerous countries https://www.economist.com/interactive/christmas-specials/2023/12/20/on-safari-in-the-worlds-most-dangerous-county
  Many Trump supporters believe God has chosen him to rule https://www.economist.com/christmas-specials/2023/12/20/many-trump-supporters-believe-god-has-chosen-him-to-rule 
    Make America Godly Again :: The Economist tries to find out why
Skipping interactive article: Global warming is changing wine (not yet for the worse) https://www.economist.com/interactive/christmas-specials/2023/12/20/global-warming-is-changing-wine
Skipping interactive article: How five Ukrainian cities are coping, despite Putin’s war https://www.economist.com/interactive/christmas-specials/2023/12/20/how-five-ukrainian-cities-are-coping-despite-putins-war
these are interactive articles. As seen from the log above, they are being skipped.

interactive articles break the recipe.. it fails. These articles are for viewing in a desktop browser and cannot be replicated in an e reader/epub. They have some graphics that can interact with your mouse.
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:09 AM   #3
jwhittin
Enthusiast

Thanks unkn0wn. It's funny though that those articles, whilst interactive on the website, aren't interactive in the Economist App, so there's nothing interactive that is important. Ah well.

Is there any way to highlight in the download that there is an article which couldn't be downloaded? For example, have the article heading but say "Article couldn't be downloaded". That way I'd know that I had to go to the webstite (or app) to read the article. As it is at the moment, what is on my Kobo seems to show all the articles but doesn't.

In this case I only found out by accident that there were other articles until I went to the website (to forward the link to a friend).

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:48 AM   #4
unkn0wn
Evangelist
unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.unkn0wn can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: kindle
even in economist app these articles are opened in an in-app browser.

https://github.com/unkn0w7n/calibre/...182845c98a239f
unkn0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 05:40 AM   #5
jwhittin
Enthusiast

That's perfect, thanks so much!