Old 09-06-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
ShamusLit
ShamusLit began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Help - Viewer not opening certain file types

I am running Calibre 6.20 on OMV 6 within Docker, the source file is at
Quote:
lscr.io/linuxserver/calibre:latest
As a PC Calibre user for many years I am very familiar with the Calibre interface.

When using Calibre on the server I attempt to open a PDF, DOC, or DOCX file and Calibre seems to be thinking about it (Wristwatch shows up) and then does nothing.

I am using Calibre out of the box with no changes. I have about 1153 books in the library with no errors apparent. I have tested this with all of the browsers I have and the same behavior is evident.

My browsers are all set to open a PDF or ask for DOC & DOCX within the browser and I have tested them all (outside of Calibre) and they are behaving as expected.

I am guessing this is a minor config issue but I cannot find any way to resolve the problem. Any help or advice would be appreciated.
ShamusLit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 12:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The web viewer does not open either PDF or DOC. Indeed calibre as a whole does not support DOC only DOCX. Those filetypes are delegated to the browser.

Opening docx works fine in the web viewer for me.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:54 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have PDF open in my Linux default document viewer, which is currently Okular. The doc and docx open in LO Writer. If selected in Calibre.

I've specifically set PDF, DOC, DOCX etc to "Save Only" in all browsers since ever browsers could open them as those are a security risk (probably 20 years ago for PDFs). Even my ImageMagick can't open a PDF (security setting), so to crop image PDFs I open in The GIMP and save as/export in reverse page order after Image Crop all Layers as mpng or PDF (and convert mpng to PDF in ImageMagick if needed).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 03:07 PM   #4
ShamusLit

Perhaps if I made myself a little clearer that would help someone who might assist me.

Observed behaviour: When I select view on any PDF the wristwatch icon shows for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

Expected behaviour: When I select view on any PDF the file opens in the browser.

I've attempted to use both the browser viewer and an external PDF viewer but in either case the same errant behaviour is seen.

Nearly half of my ebooks are in PDF format and I WANT to open PDF files within the browser ( I already know they cannot be opened in the Calibre viewer). For some reason Calibre web seems to not pass the required data to the browser to actually open the selected PDF file. With those same browsers I can open a PDF from any other website such as this one.

I expect to have a number of users using the Calibre library and want to ensure that they can all read the books without undue problems.

I would really appreciate a solution to this issue.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #5
ShamusLit

@kovidgoyal -- Yes I already know that I am trying to get it to open in the browser.
@Quoth -- Iam not sure how that is relevant to my question?

Last edited by ShamusLit; 09-07-2023 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added response to Quoth
Old 09-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
OK
I just tried using the content server to view a PDF only file.

Whether I click Read or the Book, the file ends up in downloads
Firefox on W10.

If I view from the Gui: Adobe opens it (as expected)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:14 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamusLit View Post
Perhaps if I made myself a little clearer that would help someone who might assist me.

Observed behaviour: When I select view on any PDF the wristwatch icon shows for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

Expected behaviour: When I select view on any PDF the file opens in the browser.

I've attempted to use both the browser viewer and an external PDF viewer but in either case the same errant behaviour is seen.

Nearly half of my ebooks are in PDF format and I WANT to open PDF files within the browser ( I already know they cannot be opened in the Calibre viewer). For some reason Calibre web seems to not pass the required data to the browser to actually open the selected PDF file. With those same browsers I can open a PDF from any other website such as this one.

I expect to have a number of users using the Calibre library and want to ensure that they can all read the books without undue problems.

I would really appreciate a solution to this issue.
Is that 'Calibre web' this calibre-web ==>> https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-web ?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 11:03 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works fine for me with chrome, see attachement. The read button causes the browser to open the PDF file from the server with a URL that causes the server to set the content-disposition: inline header. If your browser supports PDF and content-disposition, it will open in the browser, if not it will be downloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	335.4 KB
ID:	203625  

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-08-2023 at 12:42 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:45 AM   #9
ShamusLit

OK thanks for all the advice. I sorted it out now.

Tags
help calibre