Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
StephV
StephV began at the beginning.

Device: none
Clip Groups

Hi!

As per the earlier suggestion on another thread, I'm giving clips a little try.

I had in mind to create a group for my lang tags, and another group for other various clips.

I noticed that clips that are nested under a group don't appear in the Clips bars or in the clips menus (under the Insert menu), only in the clips view, making them harder to fetch and occupying more interface space overall (if displaying the Clips view).

Is that an intended behavior? If so, does that mean that to make sure I see all my clips in the menus, I need to ungroup them?

Thank you very much!
StephV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There are up 40 clips that can be triggered by toolbar buttons and 10 (or 20) that can be triggered by keyboard shortcuts. Any nested clips can be triggered in the ClipsWindow that can be docked to side of the MainWindow or be pulled off to float alongside anyplace you have space.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:43 PM   #3
StephV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
There are up 40 clips that can be triggered by toolbar buttons and 10 (or 20) that can be triggered by keyboard shortcuts. Any nested clips can be triggered in the ClipsWindow that can be docked to side of the MainWindow or be pulled off to float alongside anyplace you have space.
I guess I maybe not have been 100% clear, my apologies!

I have created groups of Clips, as seen here:

But these clips are not displayed in the toolbars (I deleted the "help" clip, which causes in turn the sub-menu to not even display):

They do, however, show up if they are not placed inside a group, or in the ClipsWindow
Old 08-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your images did not appear. So I will try again ...

Individual toolbar buttons (up to 40) are for frequently used clips. The first 10 buttons from each clips toolbar can be assigned shortcuts for even easier launching.

If you want to use clip groups open the ClipsWindow to locate and activate clips. It can be docked or float near by. This is not the same thing as the Clips Editing window.

To show the docked Clips Window, use the View->Clips menu.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-22-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Your images did not appear. So I will try again ...
Looks like these are the 2 links to StephV's exact images:

https://images2.imgbox.com/b8/8e/6aKoqQig_o.jpg
https://images2.imgbox.com/1e/50/Y3mScLQa_o.jpg

I'll attach them both too so they don't get lost.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Y3mScLQa_o.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	203287 Click image for larger version

Name:	6aKoqQig_o.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	203288
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 06:47 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Images not appearing is becoming a more common issue. The most common cause is when the OP posts a link to a webpage that displays the image and not to the image itself. The options are either to post the image as a webpage URL or to find the image's direct link or (my personal choice) upload the image using MobileRead's paperclip or Manage attachments button.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-22-2023 at 06:50 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Most image upload sites don't allow hot-linking to other sites. Plus it just contributes to link rot when the images go away. Best practice is to attach them to the post, and them inlining them (like Tex2002ans did) to not run afoul of Mobileread's size limitations.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:52 AM   #8
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephV View Post
I noticed that clips that are nested under a group don't appear in the Clips bars or in the clips menus (under the Insert menu), only in the clips view, making them harder to fetch and occupying more interface space overall (if displaying the Clips view).

Is that an intended behavior? If so, does that mean that to make sure I see all my clips in the menus, I need to ungroup them?
Yes, I noticed this too while trying to teach you about the various ways to use Clips.

Since I always use the lower-left dock version of Clips... I never really messed with the menu/toolbar versions!

- - -

I think what StephV is trying to say is:

If the Clips are in a Group, they don't appear (correctly) in the menu/toolbar.

For example, if you press:
  • Tools > Clip Editor

and you have:
  • Italics
  • Bold
  • Smallcaps
  • Languages
    • English
    • French
    • German

all you will see in:
  • Insert > Clips

is:
  • Italics
  • Bold
  • Smallcaps

and all you will see in the Clip Toolbar is:
  • Italics
  • Bold
  • Smallcaps

Looks like Clips that are in Groups are "invisible" to these alternate methods.

Quote:
But these clips are not displayed in the toolbars (I deleted the "help" clip, which causes in turn the sub-menu to not even display):
I also noticed something weird with this too!

While I was messing with the Clip Toolbar, I saw a "Help" button in the #1 spot, so I deleted it.

After "Help" was gone, Sigil seemed to gobble up the very first real clip, so it wouldn't appear in the toolbar.

So, by default, Sigil looks like this:
  • Help
  • [... Then the giant list of pre-filled sample Clips...]

but if you deleted "Help":
  • [... Giant list of pre-filled sample Clips...]

the toolbar/menu versions went wonky too.

I didn't look much closer, or narrow down the exact bug—I just took the screenshots(+finished writing my post) and made note of the oddity.

Perhaps there's an off-by-1 assumption in Sigil's menu/toolbar logic, because it assumes the Help Clip will always be there? Or isn't expecting slot 1 to be taken up by a Group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Plus it just contributes to link rot when the images go away.
Yes, exactly. So often now I visit/reference topics a few years old and see dead images.

From me rereading the context, I can usually remember what was in the original poster's image, but for someone who wasn't around during that time, the thread just looks like a giant mess with the warning triangles.

- - -

Side Note: About 3 months ago, Imgur—a huge image hosting site—purged all "anonymous images" deleting more than 14 years of tutorials and all sorts of important images like car repairs.

Luckily, ~1.8 billion images were saved, but tons were permanently lost:

Doesn't help all the old threads though... but if you really wanted to recover the image, and had the original URL, at least you can find a way to get your hands on it again.

- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Images not appearing is becoming a more common issue. The most common cause is when the OP posts a link to a webpage that displays the image and not to the image itself.
Ugh, the absolute worst are these requires-javascript image sites.

These are becoming more and more prevalent now—and when I try to view an image, the dang thing serves me up a blank page.

And it's even breaking Archive.org from being able to save those images.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-23-2023 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #9
StephV

As per usual, Tex2002ans is better than me at explaining, without images too! Yep, that's exactly the problem I have.

Clips contained within groups appear to be ignored/hidden from the menu/toolbars

Apologies for the images. With the delays between my responses, the moderator approvals, etc, I did not realize the links wouldn't work, as I wanted to use the Insert Image function rather than the attachment, but I'll take note for the future. I'm reattaching the images to this post for convenience.

So I have my group:

Name:	Sigil_dYbY5S8Tt7.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	203305

But an empty menu/toolbar:

Name:	Sigil_a9JQqTcqNk.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	203306

I did make a first test group without deleting the help clip and the help clip was still the only one to be displayed in the menu/toolbars.
Old 08-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, Toolbar buttons are for *individual* clips. They do not cascade their own submenus. You can use the arrow keys in the ClipEditor to easily move them into and out of folders. And the ClipsWindow (docked) is the way to handle larger less frequently used clips that require organization. The Toolbar buttons are meant for very frequently used individual clips, not clip groups.

As far as I know, Sigil has always worked that way.
Old 08-23-2023, 10:06 AM   #11
StephV

Noted!

Would it be possible to add groups in the toolbars in a future release?

In any case for now, I will ungroup the most used ones and leave the least used ones in the group. That does however mean that whenever I want to quickly use one of the grouped ones, I will have to pop out the Clips Window. I know most people use two monitors at the very least but right now I'm limited to just one, so you may understand my concerns with screen space and all. (I really need to put in a request for a second monitor at my job for my WFH setup... Ugh...)
Old 08-23-2023, 01:06 PM   #12
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Would it be possible to add groups in the toolbars in a future release?
I'll have to poke around some more, but I was thinking similar, especially with the menu version.

I would've expected Groups to appear as submenus.

I can understand the Clips Toolbar not doing those multi-nested ones... but the menu version?

Anyway, like I explained, I never really poked around in 2 variants until yesterday. I never even saw the need to ever use Clips outside the dock! Once I learned that method years ago, I just stuck with it ever since!

(I forget which MR user first recommended the docked version to me, but thanks to whoever you were!)

Quote:
I will have to pop out the Clips Window. I know most people use two monitors at the very least but right now I'm limited to just one, so you may understand my concerns with screen space and all.
I find the bottom-left corner works awesome. Do you really need all that height for the list of files in the ebook?

Plus, my mouse is usually down in the bottom anyway while doing search/replaces, so having the Clips right there isn't much different.

Quote:
(I really need to put in a request for a second monitor at my job for my WFH setup... Ugh...)
2nd monitor is awesome. Original document on left screen, Sigil/ebook/Preview on right screen. This lets you easily scroll and ensure the right side matches the left document.
Old 08-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I can't imagine doing daily work without multiple Monitors.
In days of olde, you got printed reference guides, which tended to circle my work position. Now they are all 'e' versions. A perfect use for Monitor #3.

Preview on Monitor #4 (an old 4:3 in Portrait. FWIW Most e-ink devices are 4:3.) A perfect use for old hardware . Usually can be had for pennies at Garage sales.

Need more Video ports? Diamond Multimedia make a USB graphics adapter (It will suck up USB speed, so not the best combo if you are a heavy user of external USB disc) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 I see a USB3 and 4K versions are now available
These work perfect for Edit Sessions ( no rapid screen paints )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:27 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
In any case for now, I will ungroup the most used ones and leave the least used ones in the group. That does however mean that whenever I want to quickly use one of the grouped ones, I will have to pop out the Clips Window. I know most people use two monitors at the very least but right now I'm limited to just one, so you may understand my concerns with screen space and all. (I really need to put in a request for a second monitor at my job for my WFH setup... Ugh...)
I only have 1 monitor now...although my wife complains that it is bigger than her tv...

I dock the Clips window so it shows up either below the book browser on the left side, or as a tab behind my Table of Contents and Preview windows on the right side. I flip-flop depending on how I'm feeling on any given day!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-23 152618.png
Views:	44
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	203311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-23 152258.png
Views:	40
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	203312  
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #15
jwes
Enthusiast
jwes began at the beginning.

Quote:
Hi!

As per the earlier suggestion on another thread, I'm giving clips a little try.

I had in mind to create a group for my lang tags, and another group for other various clips.

Thank you very much!
You can also right-click in the code window and pick Clips.
jwes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clips