Notices

Old 05-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #8386
applegaa
Connoisseur
applegaa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by riothamus View Post
So I used to be fairly tech savvy and I can still usually figure things out. But I'm a little stumped getting started with flaresolverr and FFF. I use windows 10 first off. I know the flaresolverr page says it's best to use docker, but it appears the docker instructions are for linux and there's a precompiled binary for flaresolverr for windows. What I can't figure out is if I should still use docker in windows (which I found by googling). A little help to get started? If it was just ff.net I'd stick with browser cache, but I have a story I'm following on scribblehub now too (he had to remove it from royalroad due to smut content).

Thanks!
You don't need Flaresolverr for ScribbleHub. Just add the following to the ScribbleHub section of your personal.ini:

use_cloudscraper:true

It does fail on about 1 in 30 attempts, but works again on the next try.

- Andrew
applegaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:45 AM   #8387
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Version Released

Version 4.23.0 - 2023-05-02
- Change force_img_referer to force_img_self_referer_regexp See #940 #941
- adapter_deviantartcom: Another detect login string. #947
- Show INI highlighting under [storyUrl] sections
- Update translations.
- adapter_quotevcom: Some stories have no comments.
- Don't try to set seriesUrl when no series (Anthologies)
- Add force_img_referer optional feature. Closes #940
- Add static include_in_* when double quoted.
- Set Calibre Series URL link (calibre versions > 6.14)
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:09 AM   #8388
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by applegaa View Post
You don't need Flaresolverr for ScribbleHub. Just add the following to the ScribbleHub section of your personal.ini:

use_cloudscraper:true

It does fail on about 1 in 30 attempts, but works again on the next try.

- Andrew
I tried this several times (at least 5), and unless I'm missing something else I needed to download or have running, I struck out each time.

I did successfully use flaresolverr, but in order to download the 100+ chapter story, I had to disable Windows Defender real time protection. Looks to be a potential issue with flaresolverr and Defender and/or other AV. I haven't had a chance to dig into it more. If I didn't disable RTP, the chromium instances would keep coming and not closing taking up 100% CPU and freezing and/or crashing my computer. I had slightly better luck with ff.net but still had the freeze once before I figured out the AV problem.
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:48 AM   #8389
sandmanwake
sandmanwake has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by riothamus View Post
I had to disable Windows Defender real time protection. Looks to be a potential issue with flaresolverr and Defender and/or other AV. I haven't had a chance to dig into it more. If I didn't disable RTP, the chromium instances would keep coming and not closing taking up 100% CPU and freezing and/or crashing my computer. I had slightly better luck with ff.net but still had the freeze once before I figured out the AV problem.
Which version of flaresolverr are you using that's causing this issue?
sandmanwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:57 AM   #8390
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanwake View Post
Which version of flaresolverr are you using that's causing this issue?
I'm at work so I can't say for sure, but it was the latest windows executable from the flaresolverr github page as of this weekend.
riothamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:28 PM   #8391
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Try exempt the Flaresolverr folder rather than turn off protection entirely.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:40 PM   #8392
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Test Version Posted

2023-05-04
- Add force_update_epub_always option to update when EPUB has more chapters than source. See #950 #949 #942.

From defaults.ini:
Code:
## By default, FanFicFare will not update an existing EPUB that has
## more chapters than the story does on the source site.  When
## force_update_epub_always:true FFF will ignore that check when using
## 'Update EPUB Always' (plugin) or -U/--update-epub-always (CLI) and
## will discard chapters in the EPUB that are not listed on the source
## site anymore.
## This can be useful for authors that remove and/or replace chapters.
## Recommended to be set for individual stories or sites rather than
## under [defaults] or [epub].
#force_update_epub_always:false
There have been several github issues lately (#950 #949 #942) about RoyalRoad stories where the author has removed old chapters from stories while continuing to post new chapters leaving a situation where the user's existing EPUB has more chapters than the source site story.

I understand that what those users really wanted was a way for FFF to keep those older removed chapters and continue adding new chapters. I explained:
  1. FFF's fundamental paradigm doesn't have a way to keep chapters that aren't in the TOC of the story on the source site.
  2. FanFicFare is meant for fanfiction. If an author has removed their content to make money on it, I'm not interested in helping work around that.
I do, however, believe that a way to update stories even when the EPUB has more chapters is worthwhile. That way a user can continue updating such a story with publicly published chapters without having to edit the EPUB first.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #8393
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How does FFF compare the chapters? By title?
Old 05-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #8394
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Chapter URLs. The URL is written in each chapter in a <meta> header tag.

That's been in for ~4 years, so older EPUB may not have it. In that case, FFF assumes the chapters just line up.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #8395
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Clara
I noticed that in book details, some authors have an icon that is a link to their authors page. Is there a way to not get that link?
criscros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 12:38 PM   #8396
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscros View Post
I noticed that in book details, some authors have an icon that is a link to their authors page. Is there a way to not get that link?
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-05 13_37_32-Customize FanFicFare.png
Views:	80
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	201410

Will need to delete existing ones. Go here to find them:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-05 13_41_45-.png
Views:	76
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	201411

It's been around for a while, but the separate link icon is new. Before, clicking on the author name in details would open the link (overriding whatever was sent in Preferences > Look & Feel > Book details > 'Clicking on author names should').

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-05-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:26 PM   #8397
criscros
Fulltime reader
criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.criscros can eat soup with a fork.

Hmm, 'Set Calibre Author URL' was unchecked.

Thanks for showing where the links were for the authors. That fixed existing ones. Guess I'll see if more show up next time I download.
Old 05-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #8398
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

fwiw, you can do a quick test with update metadata from site/column.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #8399
criscros
Fulltime reader

I did an update metadata from site and it did not add the icon or author link.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:35 PM   #8400
applegaa
Connoisseur
applegaa began at the beginning.

Is there a way to tell FanFicFare to order chapters by chapter number instead of date?

I have a story where the author decided part way through to add another 0 to pad the chapter numbers to 3 digits instead of 2. After posting a couple of chapters that way, he went back and replaced the earlier chapters so the titles matched the newer ones. Unfortunately, this resulted in them having newer dates than the later chapters that were posted with the new title pattern originally.

The site shows them in chapter order, but the epub has them in date order.

(Site is NSFW, so no link included.)

- Andrew
applegaa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction