Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #316
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracoon01 View Post
Will try that but I also note now that all of the dialog screens like convert and overdrive customization are too big for the screen and you can't hit the cancel or OK buttons even after trying to move the screen around and of course on those screens there is not minimize button to change the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rracoon01 View Post
Changing the screen resolution fixed these problems, though I don't know how they got out of wack right at the time that I also updated to calibre 6.0
Mine were also all out of whack, but not because the Windows display resolution settings were changed.

I've had to adjust every window size and position individually, mostly they were too big and half off the screen, and I still stumble on misplaced/sized windows as I use features I don't use much.

Kovid suggested it was probably the Qt user interface framework package that calibre uses.

BR
Old 07-20-2022, 09:03 PM   #317
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

I've had to adjust every window size and position individually, mostly they were too big and half off the screen, and I still stumble on misplaced/sized windows as I use features I don't use much.
BR

Here too. I carefully adjusted all my column widths in my default view after reading Mr Goyal's "it's a QT6 thing" response, then found yesterday that the changes needed to be reapplied when I opened a saved search in View Manager
Old 07-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #318
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Here too. I carefully adjusted all my column widths in my default view after reading Mr Goyal's "it's a QT6 thing" response, then found yesterday that the changes needed to be reapplied when I opened a saved search in View Manager
Hmm. Absolutely nothing changed here, either after installing 6.0 or 6.1. I always use the View Manager.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #319
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Did you remember to 'save view columns' after adjusting? I've been caught by that multiple times.
Old 07-20-2022, 09:22 PM   #320
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Did you remember to 'save view columns' after adjusting? I've been caught by that multiple times.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check!
Old 07-20-2022, 10:50 PM   #321
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Qt 6 no longer has the ability to control how it responds to high dpi on windows (modulo some environment variables). Qt 5 used to have that ability. Your saved windows sizes from calibre 5 were likely at a different scaling factor causing the issues. Once you resize them under calibre 6 they should work fine.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:02 PM   #322
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Qt 6 no longer has the ability to control how it responds to high dpi on windows (modulo some environment variables). Qt 5 used to have that ability. Your saved windows sizes from calibre 5 were likely at a different scaling factor causing the issues. Once you resize them under calibre 6 they should work fine.
Confirmed, thank you both!
Old 07-21-2022, 03:41 AM   #323
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I resize the Live CSS Window and every time I restart the editor, it slides down. Can this be fixed?
Old 07-21-2022, 05:36 AM   #324
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmm. Absolutely nothing changed here, either after installing 6.0 or 6.1. I always use the View Manager.
Wondering if it could be something to do with fractional Windows Display Scaling, mine is 125% (Recommended). If I install a fresh portable the windows are all too big and oddly placed.

BR
Old 07-21-2022, 06:12 AM   #325
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wondering if it could be something to do with fractional Windows Display Scaling, mine is 125% (Recommended). If I install a fresh portable the windows are all too big and oddly placed.

BR
Try setting the the following environment variable and see how you get on.

Code:
QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0
Old 07-21-2022, 06:58 AM   #326
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try setting the the following environment variable and see how you get on.

Code:
QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0
That makes windows smaller which means I would have to adjust them all again - so I'll leave it as is.

Perhaps Uncle Robin and Sirtel could disclose their display scaling setting, that might go some way to disproving my fractional scaling theory.

BR
Old 07-21-2022, 07:04 AM   #327
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
That makes windows smaller which means I would have to adjust them all again - so I'll leave it as is.

Perhaps Uncle Robin and Sirtel could disclose their display scaling setting, that might go some way to disproving my fractional scaling theory.

BR
I was stunned to find that my display scaling settings are as follows, I thought it was at 125%!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scale.png
Views:	316
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	195187  
Old 07-21-2022, 07:10 AM   #328
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

BR
I'm using a 125% scale setting and I've turned off highDPI and it works well. I had it off for version 5 and when I switched to 6.1, I had to turn it off.

One of the things with highDPI being off makes better is the look of fonts.
Old 07-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #329
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you truly want Qt6 to handle fractional scale settings in the same way it did in Qt5 (with Calibre's highDPI setting set to "on"). You want to use QT_SCALE_FACTOR_ROUNDING_POLICY = Round (as mentioned earlier in this thread). Qt6's default is to pass the fractional settings "as is".

I would only recommend using QT_ENABLE_HIGHDPI_SCALING=0 if you were in the habit of explicitly turning off highDPI scaling in previous Qt5 versions of Calibre.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-21-2022 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:08 AM   #330
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Qt6's default is to pass the fractional settings "as is".
Since resetting my column widths was the only impact, and that only had to be done once for each view, it's not a biggie for me
Closed Thread