Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 10-14-2021, 12:37 AM   #1
millpondflora
millpondflora began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question How to sync reading position from content server to calbre app?

I recently set up my calibre content server for the first time. I love it, and especially appreciate how highlights and reading positions are synced between different devices (when logged in with the same user account).

However, I can't figure out how to sync highlights and reading positions back to the calibre app itself, ie the app running the content server. Is this possible? If so, could someone please give me some tips on how to make this happen?

Thanks, and apologies if the answer is obvious or already posted somewhere that I neglected to look!
millpondflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...hlighting-text
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #3
millpondflora

Thank you so much! That is a setting I had missed. Now highlights are syncing perfectly. However, the "last read position" does not seem to sync between the browser and the viewer. Is there a different setting for this, or is this not a feature?

Thanks again for the help, and of course for the entire app!
Old 02-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #4
millpondflora

Hello again. Sorry to repeat my question, but there was one thing I haven't yet found an answer for.

I see in the manual that "If you leave the Content server running, you can even open the same book on multiple devices and it will remember your last read position." That's great!

But does syncing of last read position extend to the calibre application as well? Or is it only devices accessing the content server that can sync last read position?

I do most of my reading in the calibre app on my mac, and via the content server on my phone. It would be great if I could sync last read position between the two. Thanks.

Last edited by millpondflora; 02-19-2022 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:31 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, you can sync to the calibre viewer as well, see th elast para here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/vie...hlighting-text

it talks about syncing annotations, last read position is part of that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by millpondflora View Post
Hello again. Sorry to repeat my question, but there was one thing I haven't yet found an answer for.

I see in the manual that "If you leave the Content server running, you can even open the same book on multiple devices and it will remember your last read position." That's great!

But does syncing of last read position extend to the calibre application as well? Or is it only devices accessing the content server that can sync last read position?

I do most of my reading in the calibre app on my mac, and via the content server on my phone. It would be great if I could sync last read position between the two. Thanks.
I use the content server whenever possible, even at the PC.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
millpondflora

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
yes, you can sync to the calibre viewer as well
Thank you for your reply. I guess I just can't get this to work. I've entered my username in Preferences → Miscellaneous → Sync bookmarks/highlights with Content server user. It's the same username I use to log into the Content Server. Bookmarks and highlights sync reliably between browser viewer and calibre viewer, and reading position syncs reliably between different browser viewers. However, the reading position never syncs between browser viewer and calibre viewer (in either direction). Is there something I can try to get this working? In case it matters, I have enabled both "Remember current page when quitting" and also "Keep a copy of annotations/bookmarks in the e-book file, for easy sharing". I'm using calibre 5.37 on a Mac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
I use the content server whenever possible, even at the PC.
Thanks for offering this perspective. This is not something I had thought to try, partly because I am so comfortable using the calibre viewer. Are there particular reasons you prefer using the content server? Does it have to do with reliable syncing, or is there more to it than that?
Old 03-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
The Content Server Viewer is basically the same as the Main Viewer, and I can read on PC, mobile phone, eink device (android) without any problem.

In fact, I even manage the library via the content server, remotely. Only when I do something too complicated for the content server, will I use the main library, which don't happen regularly.

And to my experience, the Content Server Viewer supports CBZ files, while the Main Viewer doesn't.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Last edited by nqk; 03-03-2022 at 09:45 AM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote