Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-31-2022, 11:50 AM   #1
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

Device: none
Books May Not Be As Promised; or, a wrong cover?

Normally when I fetch a new book. Everything is there.

It's rare to run across a read like this example:

The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes (Mammoth Books)

On the front cover it says: 20 NEW ADVENTURES AND INTRIGUES

I count 12 stories.

The Adventure of the Crimson Arrow
The Adventure of Kendal Terrace
A Hair’s Breadth
The Adventure of the Smiling Face
The Adventure of the Fourth Glove
The Adventure of the Richmond Recluse
The Adventure of the English Scholar
The Adventure of the Amethyst Ring
The Adventure of the Willow Pool
The Adventure of Queen Hippolyta
The Adventure of Dedstone Mill
An Incident in Society

My first thought was an error in the TOC. Nope. Only 12 stories, and an Amazon reviewer listed the exact same story list. I'm asuming they bought the material book or ebook. "Cough, cough"

So far, I haven't ran across a TOC for the actual book to confirm or deny.

But, I was wondering if anyone else adds the TOC anthologies into their Calibre data in Comments, and noticed this with any other books? Are we always getting what's promised on the cover by the publisher? Or was this simply the wrong book cover selected to be sold?

Last edited by HappyCalibreUser; 01-31-2022 at 11:52 AM.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
amazon frequently lumps kindle books and paper books from different publishers on the same product page.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Ah, good to know.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Amazon reviews (and they own Goodreads) are often worthless. I will "download to PC" the free Kindle sample as it will have complete ToC. Or View Inside.

I don't usually buy Kindle ebooks without testing/checking a sample. There are multiple ways to check the contents of a paper book if you have the ISBN (which can tell you the publisher).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:28 AM   #5
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Sometimes, the Kindle edition includes fewer stories because the publisher couldn’t get the electronic rights to all the stories for the Kindle edition. (I’ve seen this happen when the Kindle edition came out years after the original version. In that case, the author might have reprinted the story somewhere else.) Unfortunately, the reviews for both editions will end up linked.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:50 AM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The cover here says 12 stories:

https://www.hachette.co.uk/titles/de...9781472110732/
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #7
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
And the cover for the Kindle edition on the Amazon (US site) says 20 stories. Yet the cover for the paperback edition says 12 stories.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Notify Amazon if they sold the book to you that says 20 and only has 12 .
Be sure to count the stories and not just go by a list. Sloppy edit/proof may be the issue on the interior listing.
The Amazon ad can not claim MORE than was provided from that site, the FTC gets real unhappy with them. (they can include un declared Bonus material)

Also note: US editions may be different than EU... ( copyright term variations. )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Obviously "doesn't match description" is a valid reason for return 14 days UK, 7 days US
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 02:19 PM   #10
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back here.

Thanks for that link. It showed me a correct book cover I have now used to correct my book.

Thank you, and thank's to Calibre for the ease to change the covers.