Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Bogus "Not a Valid Picture" Errors

Sometimes if I am missing a cover image I will use Bullzip print which can create .jpegs as well as .pdfs from a pdf page. Lately random covers get an error in Calibre even though the .jpeg is just fine in the Windows Photo viewer (which pops up with the image when I create it). This is somewhat random but as I say I NEVER get an error on the same file with Windows Photo Viewer.

The workaround is to use screen image clipper but that's kind of annoying.

Anybody seeing this? I rarely saw this before but late its been happening a lot.
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It would help if you could post one of images that is showing an error.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Example Image -- I wish

Well unfortunately even though they are single page images they exceed the file limits on this forum (by 2x in some cases).

I attached one I shrunk (a lot!) via Photoshop 2021 and even though it was written by Photoshop it produced the same error in Calibre so it must be something in the header(?) that most people can deal with but Calibre doesn't seem to like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Test2.jpg (1.43 MB, 125 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I downloaded the image and was able to add it as the cover of a book in calibre 5.27 running under Windows 10.

What platform and calibre version are you using?

What are the steps needed to reproduce the error?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
johnelle
Zealot

Versions

Calibre 5.27
Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 Build 19043.1237
I believe they are both at the latest version level.

If I Edit Metadata on any entry and hit the browse button under "Change Cover" and try to open the file "Test2.jpg" I get the error:

--------------------------
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: Not a valid picture: C:\Users\johne\Desktop\Test2.jpg is not a valid picture
------------------------
Old 09-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
If I Edit Metadata on any entry and hit the browse button under "Change Cover" and try to open the file "Test2.jpg" I get the error:

--------------------------
calibre, version 5.27.0
ERROR: Not a valid picture: C:\Users\johne\Desktop\Test2.jpg is not a valid picture
------------------------
Doing the same works for me without any error.

Are you using 32 or 64 bit calibre? The 32-bit version can have trouble with large files.

Some other possibilities are a corrupted calibre installation or overly aggressive antivirus software.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:27 AM   #7
johnelle
Zealot

Well Maybe the Antivirus

Well doubt if its the computer. Running Adobe Suite so its 16GB Ram, 8 core, nvidia, 64 bit windows.

Antivirus is Kaspersky at the moment. When I have a calm moment I will try with the anti virus off (its really annoying to turn off due to scaremarketing "you turn this off for one second and you may DIE").
Old 09-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Your test image worked fine for me (on a Linux system). Opening it in GIMP, I see it has a colour profile of "Artiflex Software sRBG ICC profile" -- could that be the problem?
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
Well doubt if its the computer. Running Adobe Suite so its 16GB Ram, 8 core, nvidia, 64 bit windows.
calibre comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Either version will run on a 64-bit OS, however the 32-bit version of calibre is limited in the size of files that it can handle. I suggest checking which one you have installed.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:03 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tried your image on calibre 5.27 on OSX Big Sur 11.6 and was able to browse to it and add it as a cover image with no issues. On the other hand, what type of display are you running that needs an 4967x7021 image for a book cover?

Also tested on Windows 10 x64 with calibre 5.27 x64 and on OpenSuse Tumbleweed. No errors were seen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.jpeg, cover, valid picture