Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #136
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
loc.gov does have a lot of books, but US topics are pretty boring for the most part.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #137
dsuden
Connoisseur
dsuden doesn't litterdsuden doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Google/Sony Offerings Available to Mac Users?

I have a Macbook and a Sony Reader. I just visited ebookstore.sony.com using a web browser, but it doesn't appear the free Google books are accessible without having the Sony library software. They don't seem to have a Mac version, so are the Mac users out of luck? Or is there a secure login version of the Sony site that gets you access?
dsuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #138
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
No, you have to use the PC software for now.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #139
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
No, you have to use the PC software for now.
Can you select all of them easily? Are they copy protected?

Last edited by joblack; 03-25-2009 at 10:59 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #140
lorisgirl
Super newbie
lorisgirl began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd Edition
I have a question. The only way to download these Sony/Google PD book is by using the software provided? It's not available for linux. Does anyone know how I can get access to them?
lorisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #141
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisgirl View Post
I have a question. The only way to download these Sony/Google PD book is by using the software provided? It's not available for linux. Does anyone know how I can get access to them?
The Sony software under Windows does seem to be the only way to get the ePub versions. It is US-only (you get to choose the country - don't choose Canada) and Windows-only. There have been reports of earlier versions of the software working under VMWare, but not under Wine, see Connect running under Ubuntu Wine. However, earlier attempts were trying to use a PRS-505 (i.e. USB) and this isn't necessary for Google ebooks. There is an old report of partial success under Wine at WineHQ.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #142
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope that's not a reference to Diana Gabaldon's rather awful books. I had a GF who loved them and she managed to get me to read the first one and it start off innocuous enough but nothing all that interesting and then came the time travel nonsense. And from there it went downhill from there quite fast. Outlander is a book that should remain lost in time. With LOST being the optimum word.
I believe men don't find the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series interesting, although there are millions of female fans, with myself being one of them .
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #143
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Can you select all of them easily? Are they copy protected?

You can't select them all at once. They aren't copy protected as far as I can tell.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #144
lorisgirl
Super newbie
lorisgirl began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd Edition
I, for one, welcome our mobile book editing overlords.
lorisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:25 AM   #145
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisgirl View Post
I, for one, welcome our mobile book editing overlords.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #146
jimad
Connoisseur
jimad is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
PG is starting to post EPUB format, which with Calibre command-line tools can be quickly turned into just about any format you like -- I've started posting them in Mobi format to http://freekindlebooks.org/MobiMirror. These postings contain the PG "legalese" ie they ARE the PG files "file format converted to run on your computer." As such you can do anything you might want to do with them that you can do with any other PG file. EPUB is probably a better place to start from though, not MOBI.
jimad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #147
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
You can't select them all at once. They aren't copy protected as far as I can tell.
Why the heck would anyone want to select them all at once?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #148
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Can't think of a better thread in which to link to today's User Friendly cartoon:

although I can't say I agree with the sentiments...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #149
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
I believe men don't find the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series interesting, although there are millions of female fans, with myself being one of them .

It's dangerous to generalize when it comes to reading habits and gender, or in anything, for that matter

It would probably be safe to say that some men might not care for Gabaldon's fiction.

I read one romance novel - a Harlequin romance - just to see what all the fuss was about. At the time, I worked in a used bookstore and women (and only a handful of men) came in looking for back numbers to complete their collections.

I didn't care for that Romance novel, because it seemed too simplistic for my taste. So I went back to reading about Bug Eyed Monsters (BEMs) chasing and cavorting with naked (or barely naked) females. That's called Science Fiction, which women do not like. (I'm making a joke!)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM   #150
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's dangerous to generalize when it comes to reading habits and gender, or in anything, for that matter
Thank you for teaching me sensei.

P.S.
I didn’t know that Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series is considered a romance series, or a 'Harlequin romance', whatever that is! Is that American for Mills & Boons? I would have thought that is was more Historical Fiction or even Science Fiction?

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-29-2009 at 08:45 AM.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google books, sony reader