Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #286
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Hmm. Does NM have dual functions (do 2 actions with 1 menu item)? That would be useful.
Yes, see chain_{always,success,error} in the documentation.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #287
RobertJSawyer
Fanatic
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Aura, Mini; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by marp68 View Post
Love the nightmode feature. Much easier then before.

I would also like to rotate the screen to lanscape, but I only find an Invert orientation option, which rotates it 180 degrees.

What did I miss?
MARP68, below is my config file.

Note that the congif file can have ANY name, but I suggest you give it one ending in .txt -- although you can't EDIT .txt files on a Kobo, you can VIEW them (they'll show up in your books list if you select imported titles), which can be handy if you've forgotten what you've set up.

My file is called config-nickel-menu.txt, and it lets me do the following: invert (that is toggle night mode) from any of the four usages modes (main, reading, browser, and library); choose any of the four possible orientations from all modes; access Pocket articles from any of the four modes.

I put "> " in front of each of the orientation opens just to differentiate them on the menu list other options; makes the displayed menu easier to read but is hardly necessary. I also prefer to call the "upside down" orientations "reverse" rather than "inverse," so that inverse screen [toggle night mode] and inverse orientation [flip 180 degrees from normal] don't get confused in my mind.

Code:
# Thursday, September 3, 2020, at 8:45 p.m.
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
menu_item :main    :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
#
menu_item :main    :> Portrait          :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :main    :> Landscape         :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :main    :> Reverse Portrait  :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :main    :> Reverse Landscape :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
#
menu_item :main    :Pocket              :nickel_open: library: pocket
#
menu_item :reader  :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
#
menu_item :reader  :> Portrait          :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Landscape         :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :reader  :> Reverse Portrait  :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :reader  :> Reverse Landscape :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
#
menu_item :reader  :Pocket              :nickel_open: library: pocket
#
menu_item :browser :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
#
menu_item :browser :> Portrait          :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :browser :> Landscape         :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :browser :> Reverse Portrait  :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :browser :> Reverse Landscape :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
#
menu_item :browser :Pocket              :nickel_open: library: pocket
menu_item :library :Invert Screen       :nickel_setting :toggle :invert
#
menu_item :library :> Portrait          :nickel_orientation :portrait
menu_item :library :> Landscape         :nickel_orientation :landscape
menu_item :library :> Reverse Portrait  :nickel_orientation :inverted_portrait
menu_item :library :> Reverse Landscape :nickel_orientation :inverted_landscape
#
menu_item :library :Pocket              :nickel_open: library: pocket

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 09-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #288
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Hmm. Does NM have dual functions (do 2 actions with 1 menu item)? That would be useful.
Actions attached to a menu item can be chained and conditionally chained, so yes.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #289
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Perhaps this was already mentioned but I missed it – with the new firmware, could we change the "NickelMenu" text, now that we have to look at it all the time?
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #290
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
Perhaps this was already mentioned but I missed it – with the new firmware, could we change the "NickelMenu" text, now that we have to look at it all the time?
Yes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=248

But you'll need to do a bit of work
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #291
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Yes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=248

But you'll need to do a bit of work
Less so now that https://github.com/pgaskin/NickelMen...666e062dd3b353 has been merged .

(Binaries are available over here in the Actions page, for people logged into GitHub).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-08-2020 at 08:10 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #292
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Noob question, I'm trying to add Ultimate Manga reader to my daughter kobo, what would be the menu item to launch it?
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #293
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
See post #9.
Elektron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #294
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Yeah I'm linking to the "ultimatemangareader.sh" but it seems to install it each time? I guess it invokes it?
Old 09-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #295
Elektron
World's Smartest Idiot
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Weird. Try using KoboLauncher.
Elektron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM   #296
Mercador
I'm not a number!

In fact, it said that it started with process id xyz but then do nothing.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #297
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Mercador:

We don't have a crystal ball. Show us *exactly* what you're trying to do.

Fair warning: if you're using an old version of UMR, you won't be able to launch it outside of vlasovsoft (without much extra hoop-jumping, that is).

Current versions (i.e., check GitHub Releases, not the MR post), on the other hand, should behave. Emphasis on *should*: I've never tried either version myself.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #298
Mercador
I'm not a number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Mercador:

We don't have a crystal ball. Show us *exactly* what you're trying to do.

Fair warning: if you're using an old version of UMR, you won't be able to launch it outside of vlasovsoft (without much extra hoop-jumping, that is).

Current versions (i.e., check GitHub Releases, not the MR post), on the other hand, should behave. Emphasis on *should*: I've never tried either version myself.
Yeah, sorry, here's the breakdown.

1) I installed Nickelmenu
2) I installed Ultimate Manga Reader
3) I created a menu list (code below)
--> At this point, I was wondering what was wrong
4) After, I installed KFmon (it added menu items by itself -- because of the generator? - it seems to read the files into folder \.adds\kfmon\config )

Now, Ultimate Reader launch (I got an KFMon overlay message saying it launch the .sh. Plato and KOReader got an error -- PID XXXX existed unexpectedly) but that I supposed it's because they aren't installed yet.

Menu code right now
Code:
#menu_item :main    :Show an Error      :dbg_error          :This is an error message!
#menu_item :main    :Do Nothing         :cmd_spawn          :sleep 60
menu_item :main    :Dump Syslog        :cmd_spawn          :logread > /mnt/onboard/.adds/syslog.log
menu_item :main    :Kernel Version     :cmd_output         :500:uname -a
menu_item :main    :Sketch Pad         :nickel_extras      :sketch_pad
menu_item :main    :Plato              :kfmon              :plato.png
generator :main    :kfmon
menu_item :reader  :Invert Screen      :nickel_setting     :toggle :invert
menu_item :reader  :Invert Orientation :nickel_orientation :invert
menu_item :main    :IP Address         :cmd_output         :500:/sbin/ifconfig | /usr/bin/awk '/inet addr/{print substr($2,6)}'
menu_item :main    :Telnet             :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
  chain_success                        :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
  chain_success                        :dbg_toast          :Started Telnet server on port 1023.
menu_item :main    :FTP                :cmd_spawn          :quiet:/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1021" || true && exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 1021 /usr/sbin/ftpd -w -t 30 /mnt/onboard
  chain_success                        :dbg_toast          :Started FTP server for KOBOeReader partition on port 1021.
menu_item :main    :Telnet (toggle)    :cmd_output         :500:quiet :/usr/bin/pkill -f "^/usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 2023"
  chain_success:skip:5
    chain_failure                      :cmd_spawn          :quiet :/bin/mount -t devpts | /bin/grep -q /dev/pts || { /bin/mkdir -p /dev/pts && /bin/mount -t devpts devpts /dev/pts; }
    chain_success                      :cmd_spawn          :quiet :exec /usr/bin/tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 2023 /usr/sbin/telnetd -i -l /bin/login
    chain_success                      :dbg_toast          :Started Telnet server on port 2023
    chain_failure                      :dbg_toast          :Error starting Telnet server on port 2023
    chain_always:skip:-1
  chain_success                        :dbg_toast          :Stopped Telnet server on port 2023
menu_item :library :Import books       :nickel_misc        :rescan_books_full
menu_item :browser :Invert Screen      :nickel_setting     :toggle :invert
menu_item :browser :Open Pop-Up        :nickel_browser     :modal
Old 09-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #299
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Code:
menu_item :main    :Plato              :kfmon              :plato.png
generator :main    :kfmon
The explicit Plato entry is redundant, the kfmon generator will take care of it (assuming you've got Plato registered in KFMon itself).

----

Other than that, the kfmon generator should now pick up UMR's KFMon config, and Bob's your uncle.

It's unclear to me in your last message whether it launches properly or not? If it doesn't, check the KFMon logs, and try launching UMR via the UMR "book" directly (not that it should make any difference).
Old 09-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #300
Mercador
I'm not a number!

UMR launch perfectly now. I just got errors for Plato and KOReader, as I expect they are there because they are in the kfmon config folder, even if they aren't installed yet.

In retrospec, initially, I was trying to run UMR without KFmon because it wasn't asked in the UMR initial post, I thought that Nickelmenu was enough to create an handle to that app.

Quote:
How to install:
First you will need to install a launcher application. I recomend KFMon, the latest release along with install instructions can be found here.
Other launchers like NickelMenu will also work.

For the application itself just download the latest release here and extract the archive into the root directiory of your Kobo device.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel