Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #1
pgilster
Connoisseur
pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.pgilster can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Forma; Kindle Oasis 3
A Footnote Query (EPUB vs KEPUB)

I'm perplexed by one aspect of how my Kobo devices handle footnotes (I use both a Forma and an Aura One). Occasionally, I'll get a book with numerous footnotes, and I always appreciate the fact that with KEPUB, I can have these appear as a small window on the screen, rather than being sent to the back of the book, as EPUB seems to require.

Now and then, though, I get both behaviors. A book I've been reading started out, for its first third or so, giving me popup window footnotes, as I expect from KEPUB. Then suddenly, without warning, I got EPUB-style handling, being sent to the back of the book to the footnotes there.

Why the combination? I've seen this in multiple books and would expect either one or the other, but not both in the same volume. Can anyone help me figure this out?
pgilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Sorry, I can't help you, but I've seen this behavior as well, and it drives me crazy. When I look at the code for the links, I can't see any difference in their structure. I haven't really tried to track this down, so I have not (for example) deleted and reloaded the book to see if the behavior happens at the same place each time, or reloaded and skipped directly to a chapter past where the problem first started. Anyway, I too would like to know what's going on and fix it, if possible.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There has been plenty of discussion here about how footnotes work in kepubs. The official word is in https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spe...kobo-platforms. And that is basically that the links and anchors have to be setup correctly. And, unless the book is using the epub3 syntax for the footnotes, the software is taking a guess as to whether the link is a footnote or not. From the experience here, it doesn't always work exactly as described, so there is probably more that hasn't been documented there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
This is why I wish you could long-press on a link to open it in the page preview mode. Long-press doesn't currently do anything, and the preview mode gives the best of both footnotes and going to the page itself.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footnotes