Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
DanielOSM
DanielOSM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WIFI N647
Kobo Vox factory reset

A friend of mine factory reset (actidentally) her Kobo Vox and now it has an error in the initial configuration.

Do you think that if I restore it with a previous image, it can fix the problem?
And if so, can someone give me the link for one?

DanielOSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't seen an image, but, I don't think it will help.

Earlier in the year, Kobo dropped support for the Vox and some of the other older devices. See https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...mmon-questions for details.

The issue is that the older devices only supported older security protocols that are no longer considered to be safe. Some had updates available that would mean they could keep working when connected the the net, but, others would no longer connect. The problem for a factory reset is that it resets the firmware on the device to an older version that cannot connect. And it has no way to update to the newer versions that might work. I don't know if there is a way to get around this or not. I don't have a Vox to test with.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
DanielOSM
DanielOSM began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WIFI N647
Thanks for your answer!
I have another question, if I use an standard Android 2.2 or 2.3 image, it will work? Or I would need the specifics drivers for the Vox hardware??
I know this is hacking, but I can't find any other solution.
DanielOSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielOSM View Post
Thanks for your answer!
I have another question, if I use an standard Android 2.2 or 2.3 image, it will work? Or I would need the specifics drivers for the Vox hardware??
I know this is hacking, but I can't find any other solution.
Depends on how you define work. Will it work to convert my Vox into a paperweight? Very likely. Will it allow me to return my Vox to use? Not very likely.

<devil's advocate mode>
OTOH, since the Vox is basically toast, what do you have to lose by trying?
</devil's advocate mode>
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #5
Fp86
Fp86 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I did a factory reset on a device i bought used....now i can't set it up. it literally is a paper weight now, and i am pissed...
Fp86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vox