Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-09-2020, 01:02 AM   #1
stan999
stan999 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Pros & Cons of storing library on mac's SSD vs. storing on external drive?

My Library has reached over 20GB and I was wondering if I should keep Calibre library on my mac or move it to an external drive? Calibre performs just fine however, my data capacity is filling up and Im getting. Would storing a library externally make the Application feel slower? If someone could explain this in a technical manner (0 techie talent) I would greatly appreciate it.
stan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Your MAC could crash. I suggest you back it up. I used an external HD at one time for eBooks Audio Movies & Photos. It crashed took EVERYTHING. Now I use Flash Drives.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:54 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
in normal use, addding, editing...books I doubt you would see any speed difference between an internal drive and an external USB drive. especially if you have usb 3
a one off copy of an entire library to another drive may take a while, but that's not a regular thing
once you have the library in 2 places you should ( as already advised) keep one as a backup. There are various free utilities that will keep the backup in sync, which will work very fast ( only the changes will update)

If you are crazy about speed, put a SSD into a USB3 caddy. Read speeds on those are ~5x faster than internal spinning drives. a 120GB SSD & a good quality caddy is cheap, nowadays. Don't skimp on the caddy, that 5$ generic one may be much much slower than the $10 branded option. In tests. i got read speeds of >400 with that setup, but I had to bin one cheap caddy where the read speed came in at 70, same as my spinning drive. Same SSD in better caddy: 400+
The other nice thing about SSD is that they are silent. If, like me, you can't abide the humming & seek noises that come from old drives, then look at upgrading all your drives. you will never want to go back...[ dunno if you can open up a mac for that though, its easy to do on a windows PC ]

Last edited by stumped; 04-09-2020 at 02:59 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:02 AM   #4
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
I agree with @stumped: Normal operations on the libary liek adding, editing, even searching books should work fine with internal and extebnal drives.

So for a stationary desktop solution both is fine. But in a mobile laptop situation you need to keep in mind: If the library is on an external drive you can't do anything in calibre without it.
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Metadata.db is the only thing in a Library that gets read on a regular basis.
Mine has made it to 50M. The number of extra columns (fields) and the length of the comments will affect the size. Covers are NOT embedded in the DB for the same type of reason. It would make it big and clunky.
A Good (no need for a 10K either) spinning drive. Internal mounted is best, but a USB 3 is next best and a USB 2 is fine.

As Stumped said, the only time you need high drive bandwidth, is a full copy.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan999 View Post
My Library has reached over 20GB and I was wondering if I should keep Calibre library on my mac or move it to an external drive? Calibre performs just fine however, my data capacity is filling up and Im getting. Would storing a library externally make the Application feel slower? If someone could explain this in a technical manner (0 techie talent) I would greatly appreciate it.
If you have room in the MAC for a hard drive, get one and move your library to it. Also get an external drive for backups.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Your MAC could crash. I suggest you back it up. I used an external HD at one time for eBooks Audio Movies & Photos. It crashed took EVERYTHING. Now I use Flash Drives.
Or your external hard disk could crash or your flash drive might fail. That's why I use multiple backups for my important data so I have at least 3 copies.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Or your external hard disk could crash or your flash drive might fail. That's why I use multiple backups for my important data so I have at least 3 copies.
Yes, three backups is a good idea. But if you can only afford two drives, do that for a start.

And speaking of backups, I need t plugin a drive to do some backing up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, three backups is a good idea. But if you can only afford two drives, do that for a start.

And speaking of backups, I need t plugin a drive to do some backing up.
The problem for me right now is that the 3rd hard drive backup is stored at work. (grandfather/father/son with the newest backup from the weekend taken into work on Monday). I may have to head over there and try to grab the drive without running into anyone.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The problem for me right now is that the 3rd hard drive backup is stored at work. (grandfather/father/son with the newest backup from the weekend taken into work on Monday). I may have to head over there and try to grab the drive without running into anyone.
Put a NAS (or a PC with that drive) at work that you can access from home.
Security against Local disasters (really) OFFSITE is good to have
Old 04-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
May not be feasible if the work network is protected by proxies and firewalls.

I pretty much just use Dropbox and iCloud for offsite backup of select content.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-09-2020 at 09:00 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
May not be feasible if the work network is protected by proxies and firewalls.

I pretty much just use Dropbox and iCloud for offsite backup of select content.
You know that guy in the IT department who spends his time playing with the network and hardware (servers, switches, firewalls, etc.)? Do you think he would have many problems with setting up a personal backup that could be accessed from home? Other than the lack of desire to be the "do as I say, not as I do" type...

Hmmm... install the backup device preferably in the DMZ. Set up a firewall rule allowing traffic to that address from one external IP address, all other packets get bitbucketed. Disallow any traffic from the LAN side to make it harder to detect from the inside.

As for select content? I use some cloud backup for that but my current collection of external 8TB HDs are my main backup device.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
the " house burns down" scenario is why I have a cloud backup,
though accessing that, if the house had burned down, would not be my 1st priority
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 AM   #14
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
You know that guy in the IT department who spends his time playing with the network and hardware (servers, switches, firewalls, etc.)? Do you think he would have many problems with setting up a personal backup that could be accessed from home? Other than the lack of desire to be the "do as I say, not as I do" type...
Lol, I don't even know if our IT department handles that in-house or if it's been contracted out. For that matter, I don't actually know where our IT department is physically located.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the " house burns down" scenario is why I have a cloud backup,
though accessing that, if the house had burned down, would not be my 1st priority
Nope:

Folk here in Ca that got burnt out years ago are STILL waiting to get rebuilt (or paid) . (I would say more, but then this would need to move to that forum )

Some things can never be replaced. I can't count the number things I frequently use that are over 50 years old (and many have no current equivalent)

Tags
cons, external hard drive, pros, storing library