Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #1
mchapman
mchapman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
PRS-T1 Memory formatting

Yesterday, my PRS-T1 had some kind of catastrophic crash. I reset it to factor defaults but can't put any books on it.

Calibre gives me the following error:

calibre, version 3.48.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prst1/driver.py", line 166, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/driver.py", line 304, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prst1/driver.py", line 249, in sync_booklists
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/prst1/driver.py", line 278, in update_device_database
OperationalError: unable to open database file

I tried formatting the internal memory but it never finishes after hours of waiting.

Any ideas about what else I can try?
mchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
just a random idea. I'm assuming you can turn on the T1, there are just no books? otherwise you can navigate, etc around the device? If so..

Exit Calibre completely on your computer. Plug in the Sony. Can you get to the "drive letter" of the T1? if it's Windows for example, it might connect as "drive E: " or something like that. Go to that Drive letter.

On that drive letter, look for files in the "root" of that folder which might look related to calibre, like "metadata.calibre" or "driveinfo.calibre" (which is what I have on my device).

Delete those files.

Now... launch Calibre, and see if it connects and recognizes your T1.

Again, just a thought. It probably won't work...

Other random thought(s). Because in your post above it's saying things like "in _books" or "in books" on your device, are there folders with those names? What if you delete those folders (if they exist)?

Editing... another random thought. I think a T1 can have an SD Card? Do you have one installed? What if you eject it? maybe it's the sd Card that's flaky and not the device itself.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
mchapman
mchapman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Wasn’t sure what this would do but it was easy so I deleted those files, turned the T1 off and on again just in case, plugged into my Mac and started Calibre.

And it works!! I unplugged it and tried formatting the memory on the T1. It finished in a few seconds as it should. Plugged it back and loaded some books using Calibre and all seems to be fine.

Not sure why that worked but it did and I am very thankful. Much appreciated.
mchapman is offline   Reply With Quote