Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-06-2019, 04:00 AM   #1
dafunkykindle
dafunkykindle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do WHD come with FactoryImages (PW4)

Hey Guys,

sorry for me asking a probably Noob Question, hope u can get me some clarification: Im about to get a PW4 Warehouse-Deal, but wondering if ill be able to JB it.
Will my WHD-PW4 come with a FactoryImage?
According to those obviously quite new Discoveries (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320570) it should be possible to JB everything >=5.11, so assuming it does come with a FactoryImage i should be lucky, right? If its not an untouched FactoryImage (but recent FW), im out of Luck, as one cant downgrade, and there is no FactoryImage around for the latest FW, right?

Hope you dont mind me clarifing, and that its not a too stupid question...
dafunkykindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafunkykindle View Post
- - - - -

Im about to get a PW4 Warehouse-Deal, but wondering if ill be able to JB it.
- - - - -
IF it comes in a closed, never opened box, then yes.
(Kindles do not OTA update "in the box", they must be removed, powered on, first time process(es) run, etc.)

Otherwise, no way to even guess once the box has been opened.
That is because there is no way to remotely know what some human has done with it once the box has been unsealed.

Last edited by knc1; 06-06-2019 at 09:18 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
amazon warehouse deal = customer return usually. somehow has bought it, tried, it , not liked it, returned it...
so it probably has been on line to amazon at some stage, then wiped & reset at the warehouse

the risk you take with these is the flipside of Amazon returns generosity.
it is a genuine tried it , didn't like it, or was someone slipping out of keeping a dud by sending it back without saying it had issues

personally, I would not buy a warehouse deal electronic item. you save vary little on the price and you forfeit almost all of the guarantee - they give you 30 days only.

for stuff that cant really go wrong - like my "used" tin of paint deal - after I'd finished teasing them about had it all been put back in the tin - you sometimes do get a bargain.

I'd buy a kindle or a fire cover from warehouse, but not an actual device.

there's another category for kindles - professionally refurbished - where you do get 12 month warranty.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
^^^^ Good point. "Warehouse deal" == Returned == Most likely opened and diddled with, if not already broken/bricked.

" ... Refurbished" == at least someone has checked to see if it will still power up.
(At least without leaving a noticeable trail of smoke in the air.) *

* I am being unfair to some of the refurbishers in the business, some actually do more than the Amazon factory does to ensure it is a good, working, device.

Last edited by knc1; 06-06-2019 at 09:41 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
dafunkykindle
dafunkykindle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Guys!
I was wondering/hoping, that they would put it back to Factory, as they should have the Tools to do so ;-)
So, i would have preferred the PW, but as i want to go for a Budget-Solution, im gonna pick a new Basic Kindle 20i19 (KT4), as i can be sure its possible to JB it....
dafunkykindle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw4