Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Runwithsharp
Runwithsharp began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Question Read/Finished Column

Hi newbie here to the forums please have patients with me. I've used calibre for years (yep years) what I want to know is there a column or a way to make a column to mark my books as Read or Finished. Thanks
Runwithsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not really, but you can add a custom column and 'mark' it yourself

You could use a Yes/No column, IIRC Calibre Companion has a feature to update such a custom column. Or you could use a column with a fixed set of values e.g. - "To Get, Not Read, Reading, Finished, Abandoned".

Or you could do what I do, repurpose the Date column from date book was added, to date book was read -- I blank it when I add the book, and update to Now when I finish reading it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-01-2019 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added last para - it's the 'Not really'
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Does calibre "pull" metadata from the book on the ereader? There is a user_metadata field in the metadata according to the bottom of this page:

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...plate_ref.html

If the ereader fiddles with that after a book is finished then perhaps you could use that.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
My method is crude but simple; calibre makes it easy to switch between libraries and copy books between them so I have two, calibre-unread and calibre-finished. When I finish a book I move (delete after copy) it to calibre-finished from calibre-unread and delete the book from my ereader.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help for a newbie