Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #226
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Y’all that use Mimas for reading more than notes, how well do you like it?
I love the large screen. Contrast is nice and the light is very even. I also appreciate the warm light at night.

As I've mentioned upthread, the built-in reading app is frustrating in the way it handles punctuation - breaking apart contractions with a space or a line break, for example.

I switched to using Alreader as the reading app for a while, but gave it up when I found that some of the sub menus (like when I hightlighted a word in order to copy it) were completely dark and unreadable.

Then I switched back to the Boyue reading app, and I like how straight-forward and stable it is... but the punctuation thing really bothers me.

Now I'm thinking of trying FBReader, which is what the Boyue reading app on the T62+ was based on - and it was flawless and handled punctuation perfectly.

Reading Positives:
  • Large screen - lots of text
  • Good contrast and great lighting
  • Warm light option
  • Buttons! Home, Back, and page turn buttons!
  • Snappy performance
  • Nice battery life, considering the large screen.

Reading Negatives:
  • Boyue reading app's poor handling of punctuation.
  • Weight - it's a little heavier than I'm used to due to size
  • Dictionary - works okay, but I would like to change the font size in pop-up definition window - or at least make the font bold. I would also like to have it show results from more than one dictionary and I would like to be able to make the pop up window larger so I don't have to scroll as much.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:30 AM   #227
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
I'm very disappointed of these kind of devices. It has been a lot of years and the user experience isn't as good as expected. And, yet, it has to be proved e-ink screens are less harmful than LCD if you set low the bright of the latest. So, if I don't read outside and don't mind the battery drain, why am I still waiting for large ereaders more tablet alike?

I had better get a tablet.

Last edited by viceant; 02-05-2019 at 02:32 AM.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #228
ang3lfire
ang3lfire began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Post Google Calendar

Received my Mimas yesterday and just figuring out it's strengths and weaknesses for my purposes.

One of the things that I haven't been able to make work is Google Calendar, even with the Google Framework enabled.

I believe the issue is that the Google Storage apk is missing. I can download a suitable copy but am unable to install it as a system application without rooting the device.

Anyone know how to either root the Mimas or some other method of getting Google calendar to function?

Thanks.
ang3lfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #229
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I'm very disappointed of these kind of devices. It has been a lot of years and the user experience isn't as good as expected. And, yet, it has to be proved e-ink screens are less harmful than LCD if you set low the bright of the latest. So, if I don't read outside and don't mind the battery drain, why am I still waiting for large ereaders more tablet alike?

I had better get a tablet.
We do get off the subject, now back to LCD verses E ink but I have yet to hear from a really serious reader, at least 2 full books a week who is not more comfortable with E ink. A full book in one session on any backlit device even with the light set low and including backlit E Ink will make anyone feel sick but it can be done with a reader with no light or the light turned off..
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #230
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
We do get off the subject, now back to LCD verses E ink but I have yet to hear from a really serious reader, at least 2 full books a week who is not more comfortable with E ink. A full book in one session on any backlit device even with the light set low and including backlit E Ink will make anyone feel sick but it can be done with a reader with no light or the light turned off..
My eyes generally have been much better reading on an LCD screen compared to paper books and my original Kindle Keyboard. Even for 8-10 hours a day, which I could never do with a paper book or KK and still be able to see. I remember reading a paperback on a plane trip and I could barely see to get off the plane. Shocking, I know.

I think it's because I have a significant contrast sensitivity issue. I do much better with an ereader that has very even frontlighting, but even then I have to make sure I have the lighting just right to prevent eye tension. LCDs don't cause me any eyestrain or fatigue.

I love my Likebook Mimas, but I can't say it's any better for my eyes than a sharp LCD/OLED screen. I just prefer the battery life and features.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #231
foro.carlos
foro.carlos doesn't litterforo.carlos doesn't litter

Device: likebook mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
I switched to using Alreader as the reading app for a while, but gave it up when I found that some of the sub menus (like when I hightlighted a word in order to copy it) were completely dark and unreadable.
If you disable the E-INK mode in AIREADER and mod the colors to white is perfect. I was struggling a while until i realize the "e-ink" mode is borked but you can change every single thing in the app so it's a matter of tweaking the colors for e-ink.
foro.carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #232
foro.carlos

Wink

BTW

BIG ADVICE for all you, owners of Likebook MIMAS,

Disable the auto-correction and spell-checker in the android menu.

It's eating 2-3% (for a total of 5-6% with the system) of CPU constantly and making the cpu scaling to a faster frequency more often.
After disabling this I'm getting a 3% of CPU and battery life is better.

Bonus: if you are using PV (perfect viewer) for Manga. Activate the low memory mode and all the energy saving features for a decent battery consumption. It doesn't change anything in the reading experience and the battery is way better. Like 4% hour (or every 400/500 pages)
Old 02-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #233
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
If you disable the E-INK mode in AIREADER and mod the colors to white is perfect. I was struggling a while until i realize the "e-ink" mode is borked but you can change every single thing in the app so it's a matter of tweaking the colors for e-ink.
Thank you. That is very good to know. I didn't reinstall Alreader after I did the factory reset... but I may go back to it if I can see all the menus. (Especially if Boyue never fixes the punctuation issue with the built-in reading app.) I am saving your post as a reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
BTW

BIG ADVICE for all you, owners of Likebook MIMAS,

Disable the auto-correction and spell-checker in the android menu.

It's eating 2-3% (for a total of 5-6% with the system) of CPU constantly and making the cpu scaling to a faster frequency more often.
After disabling this I'm getting a 3% of CPU and battery life is better.
Thanks for that advice also. I disabled the spell-checker. I didn't see an auto-correction setting though... is that just part of the spell-checker?

I have the 'battery saver' setting on. Right now, the battery estimate is about ten days, which is great for me. I just wish I could get rid of the battery saver notification -- it doesn't allow me to sweep it away, like I've been able to do with other notifications. Does anybody know how I can get rid of it so I don't have to tap on 'switch' each time I want to change the lighting or see my battery percentage, etc.?

Also, I previously mentioned how important contrast is to me, and I really like the large screen of the Mimas... but it is more of a warm ivory tone (Edited: 'antique white' color, maybe) than the white of my Boyue T62+... in case anybody is interested in buying this device and wants a very white screen. (I am referring to how they look with the frontlight on low, because I always have it on, unless I am in bright sunlight.)

Edited again because I eventually noticed that in certain types of ambient light, with the device light on, the screen actually looks substantially more 'white' than the frame.

Last edited by blue_skies; 03-26-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:16 PM   #234
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
Thank you. That is very good to know. I didn't reinstall Alreader after I did the factory reset... but I may go back to it if I can see all the menus. (Especially if Boyue never fixes the punctuation issue with the built-in reading app.) I am saving your post as a reminder.

Thanks for that advice also. I disabled the spell-checker. I didn't see an auto-correction setting though... is that just part of the spell-checker?

I have the 'battery saver' setting on. Right now, the battery estimate is about ten days, which is great for me. I just wish I could get rid of the battery saver notification -- it doesn't allow me to sweep it away, like I've been able to do with other notifications. Does anybody know how I can get rid of it so I don't have to tap on 'switch' each time I want to change the lighting or see my battery percentage, etc.?

Also, I previously mentioned how important contrast is to me, and I really like the large screen of the Mimas... but it is more of a warm ivory tone (or a light sepia color, maybe) than the white of my Boyue T62+... in case anybody is interested in buying this device and wants a very white screen. (I am referring to how they look with the frontlight on low, because I always have it on, unless I am in bright sunlight.)
I take it you have the light on the sun and not the moon right? Figured I'd ask as the moon is sepia colored LEDs. For the battery I tried holding on the notification but it will not let you set that kind of visibility in 6.0, you need 7.0 or higher. For percentage to always show you just click on battery then in the next screen above the estimate check the box.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #235
blue_skies
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
I take it you have the light on the sun and not the moon right? Figured I'd ask as the moon is sepia colored LEDs. For the battery I tried holding on the notification but it will not let you set that kind of visibility in 6.0, you need 7.0 or higher. For percentage to always show you just click on battery then in the next screen above the estimate check the box.
Malcolm
Thank you Malcolm. I like having the battery percentage always showing. I hadn't noticed that option to check.

I've been meaning to edit the last post I made... I think sepia was the wrong word to describe what I meant. (It's definitely not the amber night time lighting though.) Maybe 'antique white' is more accurate. It just looks much warmer compared to the stark, cool white of my older device. In a way, it looks more like the background of a paper book, since most of my PBs anyway are not super white. I have read posts from people looking for the whitest screen they could find, so I thought I would mention it.

Edited because I eventually noticed that in certain types of ambient light, with the device light on, the screen actually looks substantially more 'white' than the frame.

Last edited by blue_skies; 03-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 PM   #236
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Guys,

My Google Play stopped working. I guess it happened after I cleared chache of the Google Play Services (had to do it because of having some problem with wifi connection). I disabled and re-enabled the Google Framework, but no success. Any idea how to fix?

Thanks~

Edit: Wifi was culpable part, so it is fixed.

Last edited by Pink Floyd; 02-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 AM   #237
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Guys,

My Google Play stopped working. I guess it happened after I cleared chache of the Google Play Services (had to do it because of having some problem with wifi connection). I disabled and re-enabled the Google Framework, but no success. Any idea how to fix?

Thanks~

Before trying other stuff try clearing data of the play store not cache.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:09 AM   #238
lems1995
Zealot
lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.lems1995 holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: sony prs-t2,prs-t3, onyx boox n96ml, maxcarta, Likebook Note+Mimas
I bought Likebook Note last year, july exactly, so i see Mimas also has a lot issues as Note. Not quad core, nor 2 Go ram solved anytthing. Sofware is badly designed as usual!!
lems1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 AM   #239
foro.carlos

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Floyd View Post
Guys,

Thanks~

Just a quick advice regarding privacy and battery life. I wouldn't go with the Google Services. They are convenient for sure but with Fdroid and some APKs from legit sources i'm served and happy.
That way Google won't sneak into my device and the battery life will last as is intended in a EReader device (meaning.. a lot).
Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #240
thordk
thordk began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura one
Got my mimas today and so far im very happy.
A quick question regarding the update of the firmware.
Every time i try to update via wifi i get a network error but all else work fine like google store etc.
Could the error be that i allready have the newest firmware or has anyone else had this problem and might have a solution ?
Regards
thordk is offline   Reply With Quote