Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
akamaus
akamaus began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
kobo aura hd touchscreen suddenly stopped working

Hello,
After charging my kobo aura hd device I found start menu not responding. I decided something got wrong with flash memory, so I disassembled the device, extracted the flash card, checked it with fsck, badblocks, all works. I googled and found there is a hard reset combination (light-button + power-on). Looks like original image was restored, at least I saw a screen asking to choice a language. But it still doesn't respond to touches.

I found similar thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...h+stop+working but it's for aura h20 device. They say sensor should only work with bezel closed. Is it relevant for kobo hd?

Any ideas what might went wrong and what to try?
akamaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Aura HD uses IR for the touch sensors. The screen needs to be correctly positioned in the bezel for the touch to work. So, putting it back together properly is needed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #3
akamaus

no luck with factory reset and assembling back

unfortunately it still doesn't work even when assembled.

By the way, what's the IR? Infrared? According to wikipedia infrared touchscreens have an array of IR LEDs and detectors on the perimeter of screen, and I don't see any. Just a screen with some protective glass covering it. Case is just an empty plastic box. Although front cover has some black plastic layer from inside which is bent towards the screen on the perimeter. But looks like it just for dust protection.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:19 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Yes, "IR" is Infrared. There are emitters around the edge with detectors on the other side. Part of the bezel is transparent to IR and either the emitters and detectors poke up into that, or the bezel guides the IR beams. If the bezel, screen and emitters/detectors are not aligned properly, the beams won't be in the correct place and the touch won't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
akamaus

Any ideas how to diagnose the exact problem? Should emitted radiation be visible for smartphone camera, for example? It seem to be able to detect IR pulses from TV remote controller.

My kobo is rather old, from 2014, so warranty is void long ago and I dont like the perspective of throwing it away...

I saw there're screens sold on Ali for it. But I'm not sure whether replacing it would help or not.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
As David mentioned, it's all in the alignment and uninterrupted IR transmission through the special black plastic that is attached to the "front cover"/bezel. Make sure there is nothing between the IR transistors and the scalloped edges of the black plastic. Some have had a piece of black tape move in the way. It doesn't take much to cause a problem there, even some tape glue residue could disrupt the IR beams. I have had to repeatedly clean the black plastic to get my touchscreen working one time.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
You just saved me from throwing away my kobo because of non-working touch
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
kabole
kabole will become famous soon enoughkabole will become famous soon enoughkabole will become famous soon enoughkabole will become famous soon enoughkabole will become famous soon enoughkabole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Is it possible to buy new bezel?

I replaced broken screen, but found two small cracks on the bezel, which appeared during dismantling. As result, touchscreen not working, message "Water on the screen" present all the time.

I didn't fixed bezel and frame by glue, but tried all possible positions - touch screen not reply.

Somebody has experience to order new bezel? Thank you.
kabole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
ksiflhjla8
Connoisseur
ksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blueksiflhjla8 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Aura HD
two small cracks shouldn't be able to destroy the functionality?
ksiflhjla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It could if interrupting any beam.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiflhjla8 View Post
two small cracks shouldn't be able to destroy the functionality?
The smallest disruption to the IR path is enough. Think of a cracked mirror, the image around the crack is drastically changed, even if the crack is itself small.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touchscreen