Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Sorry to bump this old bird, but this was the most relevant thread on the matter that I could find. Maybe I should have made a new 'what should I buy' thread and linked to this thread instead, but this will be at least somewhat relevant, but not totally.

So, I'm looking to buy a new e-reader and hiding any progress information is one of my highest priorities. While others like to know where in the book that they're at and when the book will end, I like not knowing such spoiling information. I recommend that people should try reading a book while not knowing how long that it is or when it'll end - because it can make for a much more interesting read. This is a strength for the e-reader, well, it could have been.

Anyhow, right now I'm using my Kindle 3 and the 'kindle-progress-bar-remover' put together by 'muness' (others share credits), but after finding this thread I realised that it might be possible to also acquire a PW2 and achieve the same goal. However, I have to ask a few questions before making the purchase to be sure.

1) Will the script @ #3 work on a jailbroken PW2 with firmware 5.4.5? (I strongly assume it will work)

2) What is the quarks of the script @ #3? (the hack on my Kindle 3 removes the progress bar after each page refresh, so it's visible for a half a second (not an issue, I just don't look at it). There's also some ghosting left behind and therefore the progress bar is actually not 100% hidden if you look carefully (an actual shortcoming for me).

3) (somehow off topic question) Is there any other non-Kindle e-reader that has an native option (or at least through access to root) to hide the progress information?

If I crossed the line here then I'll be sure to delete this post and follow an alternative suggestion for how to go about posting it. Thank you.
I don't understand why this is needed for a Paperwhite? Having no progress information showing is a built in option on the Paperwhite and the Voyage, with no hacking needed. So I guess the answer to your question is yes...the Paperwhite and Voyage have this option. I believe that the Kobo also has this option, accessible by changing an option in a config file.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #17
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Are you sure? Why was this KUAL script made then? Unless it was a software change made from the Paperwhite 1 to 2gen. You mention changing an option in a configuration file, but can you be more specific than that? Do you have a link? The only information I could find by watching Youtube and such was that you could supposedly change the lower header by tapping a corner, but nothing was said about hiding it completely or even what the different cycle modes actually showed of information.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-08-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kenneth_irl: Yup, it's a feature that appeared somewhere during FW 5.x, can't remember when. Tapping the progress indicator on the bottom left cycles through the various modes (page/location/time), one of which is 'nothing' .

In the interest of fairness, full-screen reading is also a semi-hidden functionality on Kobos.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Ah, thanks for the information both of you. I'm glad Amazon saw the light (this time) and implanted such a simple, but very useful feature. Now could we have our custom screen-savers/fonts please? It also seems easy enough to do on the Kobos even if it's not an official feature yet. I should have thought of the word 'full-screen' when trying to acquire this information, but that went past me.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-08-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
- - - - -
1) Will the script @ #3 work on a jailbroken PW2 with firmware 5.4.5? (I strongly assume it will work)
- - - - -
Reading the entire thread - - -
It originated for the K3, and over time had support for the K4 and PW added.

You will notice that during that time period, a keyword used changed.

No info that I could see about (K5 or) the PW2.

So the first thing to check would be if the information is still being generated in the log file and if the same keyword(s) work on your version of the firmware.

You should not assume that the internals of Lab126 firmware stay the same from version to version.
They are free to change things whenever the urge (or accident ) occurs.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #21
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Kenneth_irl, Touching the very bottom left corner of my PW2 screen whilst in a book scrolls through Location, Page, Time left in chapter, Time left in book and, best of all, nothing at all, at each touch..This is now standard on the PW2 as far as I am aware...

Last edited by grizedale; 02-08-2015 at 01:02 PM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #22
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Guys, I am looking for an opposite solution.
Is it possible to draw a progress bar with eips on PW3?
At least rough approximation of chapter sizes and current position will be enough for a good start
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
percentage, progress bar, removal, remove