Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Perhaps because they can't control who others distribute to and they can. In part, it may be to restrict Kindle owners from buying from its competitors but it could also be that they could get more publishers/authors to jump on board by tightening their restrictions to the U.S. (thus not disrupting regional distribution rights).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Frankly, I do most of my reading on my 24" LDC Monitor of my PC.
Brag much?
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This question has been asked many times on this forum. Some fell because they want to sell more kindles. Some feel it is because there is some rule about mobipocket not discounting books so dealers can and since Amazon owns mobipocket those dealers would consider they were being undercut.

Me, I think they do it so we will all ponder this question in forums.

BOb
There seems to be entirely to much 'feeling' going on around here.

Sorry to be so redundant.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post

Sorry to be so redundant.
No need to be sorry. Just wish we had an answer (though I don't lose sleep over it).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Yes well, that's all that we can do.. have feelings about. The only people that "know" the answer are at amazon and they aren't telling. I am surprised I have not seen 1 interviewer or reporter as the question though... which just tells me they are clueless about ebooks and readers.

No worries about being redundant. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
This question has been asked many times on this forum. Some fell because they want to sell more kindles. Some feel it is because there is some rule about mobipocket not discounting books so dealers can and since Amazon owns mobipocket those dealers would consider they were being undercut.

Me, I think they do it so we will all ponder this question in forums.

BOb
I had always heard that they had a deal not to compete with book stores that were distributing Mobipocket books but now I wonder if that's true if they're going to be opening up to mobile devices and likely a desktop software reader. Even if they continue to call the format .azw at that point, it makes it way harder to make the argument that they're not poaching sales. Who knows? Maybe the deal is expiring. I think it would be great if they sold .mobi books and everyone could buy them. They could still keep the Kindle attractive by offering a special Kindle-owners' price. They probably couldn't justify the $9.99 new releases for everybody if they're taking a loss on them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote