Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #106
Deskisamess
Guru
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
Inferiority, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #107
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Better marketing of an inferior product.
Considering the blotchy screen discoloration on the 'premium' Kobo Aura One, the lackluster Aura Edition 2 and the seemingly universal light bleed issue on the Clara HD that could have been easily remedied, I'd be careful about referring to Kindles as inferior.

I prefer Kobo myself, but lets be realistic here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #108
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O Edition 2
Don't feed the Wolf!

With that being said: Amazon also makes better covers for their readers. That should factor into many people‘s preference for their devices.

Last edited by johnnyb; 10-10-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Name calling.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:39 AM   #109
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
I just switched today, giving my 2nd gen Paperwhite to my 85 yr old Dad (who lives with us) when my Clara HD arrived. I LOVE IT! For several years now, ebooks have been my first choice, as the effects of my CP become more noticeable. I only read dead tree books when there is no ebook version, and I crave small and light. So while the trend in ereaders seems to be 7+ and (imo) insanely expensive, Forma, Oasis, etc, a light 6 inch is my dream reader. And after day 1, the Clara beats the Paperwhite for me. With both in their official sleep covers, the Clara is 69 grams lighter, a difference that I was surprised to discover is HUGE. I don't fiddle with the front light settings, so have not noticed the light bleed issue, and with my local libraries only available on Overdrive for Kobo not Kindle, it's a clear win. Less IS more, for me 😁
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #110
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
Unbelievable how much wrong information is posted about Kobo. I am a long time member of the kobo store and the kindle store and both are equally good.

I have both kindles and kobo's here (about 4 of every brand) and I always have the most recent versions. Kobo had a few problems with bugs in earlier firmware, but they are solved and Kobo's firmware is at the moment the best one.

Kobo's ereaders are better than the Kindle's at the moment.

This is just the truth, you people shouldn't comment here if you don't know both systems, it's just stupid how many nonsense I read here. Why am I a mobile read member? This was the place for high quality information, for people who knew what they are doing. Now it just looks like kindergarten.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #111
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
Unbelievable how much wrong information is posted about Kobo. I am a long time member of the kobo store and the kindle store and both are equally good.

I have both kindles and kobo's here (about 4 of every brand) and I always have the most recent versions. Kobo had a few problems with bugs in earlier firmware, but they are solved and Kobo's firmware is at the moment the best one.

This is just the truth, you people shouldn't comment here if you don't know both systems, it's just stupid how many nonsense I read here. Why am I a mobile read member? This was the place for high quality information, for people who knew what they are doing. Now it just looks like kindergarten.
your entitled to your opinion no more or less than anyone else. Kobo ereaders better than Kindle's is most definitely subjective. although software wise i would tend to agree.

leaving aside the Kobo Forma jury not even assembled yet so can't be still out. the recent Kobo offerings have certainly had their fair share of problems obviously i'm referring to the KA1 and Clara HD, the Aura Edition 2 and H2O Edition 2 seem ok. i suppose 2 out of 4 ain't bad.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #112
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Old, non-front-lit eReaders. Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos and Others
Quote:

I own both Kindles and Kobos — older, non-lit models. It's not as cut and dry as you make it. Dictionary — advantage Kindle. Touch screen sensitivity and accuracy — advantage Kindle. Flexibility (Customizability) — advantage Kobo (though Kindle now allowing custom fonts, closes the gap). Lending library — advantage Kindle. Borrowing from Overdrive in the U.S. — on my Kobos / Kindles advantage Kindle (using the newer Kobos — advantage Kobo). ePub vs. Mobi — draw (with Calibre anyhow). Amazon Store vs. Kobo — advantage Kindle (though Kobo's closing the gap), just easier to find stuff on Amazon. Reliability, build quality (older Readers) — advantage Kindle (what makes Kobos more customizable (the internal SD Cards) also makes them less reliable, but also easier (possible) to fix — so maybe a draw. (Can't speak for the newer Kindles (battery life on the Oasis, some screen issues, or the bleed on the Clara and other lighting issues on the Kobos). Not buying books from the near-monopolist eBook seller, Amazon — advantage Kobo.

My main issues with Kobos (the older ones I use) are the "double-tap" touch screens, the dictionary and the white space at the bottom of the screen. The white space issue can be fixed with patches (actually mostly fixed with just one change in a configuration file). The touch screen issues and the dictionary aren't so easily "repaired."

Again, I like them both. Neither is perfect but both are pretty good for reading books.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #113
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kobo had a few problems with bugs in earlier firmware...
The question is how come Amazon is more popular than Kobo? Sure, their firmware is much better now. But when it mattered, when e-ink readers were gaining in popularity, Kobos were seen as buggy, Kindles were not.

As Head and Shoulders Shampoo has taught me, "You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression."

And be honest: They improved their firmware, then rolled out the expensive Aura One that had blotchy lighting issues. They replaced the Glo HD with the subpar Aura Edition 2 and then they rectified that with the Clara HD which has light bleed issues.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #114
Kiwisaurus
Addict
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The question is how come Amazon is more popular than Kobo?
Yes it is.

It's literally the title.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #115
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Yes it is.

He also gave an answer to the question
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:20 AM   #116
Kiwisaurus
Addict
Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kiwisaurus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
He also gave an answer to the question
And that's good.

I didn't said anything bad.

I just stated the obvious fact which he pointed out which was the question.

Nevermind.
Kiwisaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwisaurus View Post
Yes it is.

Thank you for contributing so much to the conversation...
Old 10-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #118
the.Mtn.Man
Fanatic
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The question is how come Amazon is more popular than Kobo? Sure, their firmware is much better now. But when it mattered, when e-ink readers were gaining in popularity, Kobos were seen as buggy, Kindles were not.

As Head and Shoulders Shampoo has taught me, "You Never Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression."

And be honest: They improved their firmware, then rolled out the expensive Aura One that had blotchy lighting issues. They replaced the Glo HD with the subpar Aura Edition 2 and then they rectified that with the Clara HD which has light bleed issues.
I don't think the perceived quality of individual products matters nearly as much as name recognition, and Amazon is a household name (at least in the US), whereas if you tell someone that your ereader brand of choice is Kobo, they'll look bemused and ask, "Is that like a Kindle?"
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #119
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I don't think the perceived quality of individual products matters nearly as much as name recognition, and Amazon is a household name (at least in the US), whereas if you tell someone that your ereader brand of choice is Kobo, they'll look bemused and ask, "Is that like a Kindle?"
Sure. As I mentioned early on in this thread, I think Kobo is less well known than Kindle because Kobo ceded the US market to Amazon.

My post about Kobo's perceived quality was more in response to post #110.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #120
ottdmk
Guru
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
Name recognition goes a long way. I would argue that, in the US, it goes much further than "perceived quality". I believe it can be safely stated that the general public in the US isn't even aware of Kobo, let alone the reputation it has evolved in the e-reader community. If the average US citizen is aware of e-readers at all, it's likely that they're only aware of Kindle. It's almost become a generic term, similar to how most people call facial tissues Kleenex.

In Canada, it's a bit of a different story. Kobo was created here, and is still based here. There are Kobo displays in brick and mortar stores (mainly Chapters and Best Buys). Kobo has name recognition in Canada. Now, I don't know if Kobo's reputation has filtered out to the general populace, but at least some of them know what Kobo is.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote