Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
userwack
userwack began at the beginning.

Device: none
Books with audio files associated with them

I have a few books in my library that also come with other media files.

For example I have a bunch of language learning books are meant to be used with their accompanying audio files.

I wondered if anyone has a suggestion as to how I would manage these. Before using Calibre I would just add the audio files to the same folder containing the book, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea to start messing with the directory that Calibre is using.

Any tips would be much appreciated.
userwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once you've added the 'book', just add the associated audio file to the book, the easiest way is to drag and drop into the Book Details panel (right sidebar).

If there are multiple audio files put them into a regular folder, create a playlist for them, and add that to the book.

A calibre book can contain most file types, even executables, but only one of any particular file type.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
Depends, for small and unique content like bird songs zip them (no compress, pack only) and add to Calibre. For language and audiobooks, I keep it outside and create m3u with absolute paths.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
userwack
userwack began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies. Would it be okay to just drop the audio files into the calibre folder that contains the playlist as well?

I'd rather not have to keep the files in a separate location but I'm worried that calibre might start doing something fishy with them.
userwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #5
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One (1) file extension per folder, since all of the files will have the same filename (the book name). So, 7zip the audio files, and drop the single 7zip file into the Calibre folder. Can't use .zip because that is an e-book format.

If you have too many to deal with manually, or you have pictures or other media files or images, see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=277104. It allows you to set all types of custom column values and Identifiers and all of the standard metadata values automatically based on dynamic variables specific to each "book". Also, it can create an Identifier that has the original path of each "book" so that is never lost, even if you delete a custom column.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userwack View Post
Thanks for the replies. Would it be okay to just drop the audio files into the calibre folder that contains the playlist as well?

I'd rather not have to keep the files in a separate location but I'm worried that calibre might start doing something fishy with them.
Calibre will only "start doing something fishy" if you add, delete, or rename files in a calibre library using an external tool such Windows File Explorer, MacOS Finder, Linux Nautilus etc.

See Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio