Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #151
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It's not supposed to be two days after shipping, it's supposed to be two days from the order date.
That may be what it used to be, but it's not that way any longer. From the Prime Delivery Promo page at Amazon:

Quote:
FREE Two-Day Shipping
Over 100 million items that arrive two business days after they ship
Quote:
* If the item you're ordering is out of stock or unavailable to ship immediately, the shipping method time starts when the item ships. For example, it will take two business days after an item ships to reach you with Two-Day Shipping.
They're obviously playing fast and loose with the new "unavailable to ship immediately" catch-all.

If it's "in stock," then why on earth would it not be available to "ship immediately?" We're not talking about ordering steaks and waiting on the steer to be slaughtered, here.

They've clearly expanded their "unavailable to ship immediately" parameters to allow themselves some extra wiggle room.

Quote:
When I order there is always a guaranteed delivery date on the order page before I tap "place order". If it's not there I don't order.
Yes. The guaranteed delivery date is still there. They just started failing to make that date. Then after a while, they started upping the guaranteed delivery date by a couple of days--and were still often failing to meet them.

What I'm currently seeing when I click on a Prime-eligible item that's fulfilled by Amazon (and that doesn't indicate any availability issues) is a guaranteed delivery date that's about 4-5 days out. I haven't gotten a 2-day guaranteed delivery date in a month (after getting 2-day guaranteed delivery dates nearly 100% of the time for years).

My last order, for example, was placed on the Wednesday the 9th. The item ordered was Prime-eligible, "fulfilled by Amazon," and in-stock. The guaranteed delivery date was for Monday the 14th. I got notification that it shipped in the wee hours Friday/Sat. It got delivered on Wednesday the 16th (after being unavailable in the tracking system from Monday on).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-18-2018 at 11:33 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #152
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That may be what it used to be, but it's not that way any longer. From the Prime Delivery Promo page at Amazon:

They're obviously playing fast and loose with the new "unavailable to ship immediately" catch-all.

If it's "in stock," then why on earth would it not be available to "ship immediately?" We're not talking about ordering steaks and waiting on the steer to be slaughtered, here.

They've clearly expanded their "unavailable to ship immediately" parameters to allow themselves some extra wiggle room.

Yes. The guaranteed delivery date is still there. They just started failing to make that date. Then after a while, they started upping the guaranteed delivery date by a couple of days--and were still often failing to meet them.

What I'm currently seeing when I click on a Prime-eligible item that's fulfilled by Amazon (and that doesn't indicate any availability issues) is a guaranteed delivery date that's about 4-5 days out. I haven't gotten a 2-day guaranteed delivery date in a month (after getting 2-day guaranteed delivery dates nearly 100% of the time for years).

My last order, for example, was placed on the Wednesday the 9th. The item ordered was Prime-eligible, "fulfilled by Amazon," and in-stock. The guaranteed delivery date was for Monday the 14th. I got notification that it shipped in the wee hours Friday/Sat. It got delivered on Wednesday the 16th (after being unavailable in the tracking system from Monday on).
I hadn't seen the Prime delivery promo page before, and I wouldn't be happy if it was happening to me. I often can order something late Monday night and still get Wednesday delivery.

There are items that I see are Prime 4 - 5 day. I never purchase those, but sometimes when I look at the item details it shows that it can be delivered to me in 2 days.

There are a lot of free one day delivery items for me, and I can order some of them the morning of the delivery day. I have been getting a lot of one day deliveries lately. If I only need a few more dollars to reach $35, I order some cereal to make up for it. This cereal is currently $3.72 and eligible for one day delivery. It shows "Get it tomorrow, May 19.*Add it to a qualifying order within*4 hrs 23 mins*and choose*One-Day Shipping*at checkout".
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #153
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I often can order something late Monday night and still get Wednesday delivery.
That was me until about two months ago. Happy as a lark and zero complaints. Then it all turned ugly on a dime. For your sake, I hope your good fortune continues to hold.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #154
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
My prime service has been fine, but I have noticed that I must place the order before noon now. My deadline used to be 2 pm (I think).
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #155
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That was me until about two months ago. Happy as a lark and zero complaints. Then it all turned ugly on a dime. For your sake, I hope your good fortune continues to hold.
I hope so too. But if it doesn't I would probably save money.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #156
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My package finally arrived, three days late!

That's strike two, Amazon. If late arrivals become the norm, then why should I pay for expedited delivery (ie, Prime)?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #157
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

That's strike two, Amazon. If late arrivals become the norm, then why should I pay for expedited delivery (ie, Prime)?
Not that it's a good answer, but AN answer would be if the non-Prime deliveries are even slower and less reliable, then that might be a reason....
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #158
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

My latest order: placed at 2:30-ish on Friday, May 18th. An "Amazon's Choice" item. Prime-eligible, in stock, ships from and sold by Amazon.com

"Free Delivery by Tuesday." Did not say anything about Free 2-day or 1-day delivery, merely "free by Tuesday." Guaranteed delivery date of Tuesday, May 22.

Seems a bit long, but the weekend is involved (even though I've often seen Saturdays treated like any other shipping day in the past), but it's not unreasonable. I ordered in the afternoon afterall. We'll see.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #159
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
My latest order: ordered wednesday morning, arrived friday afternoon. Delivery notice even told me that they (USPS) stuffed it in my mailbox. Normally a box ends up in chair next to my front door - this one was a small box inside a bubble wrap mailer.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #160
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not that it's a good answer, but AN answer would be if the non-Prime deliveries are even slower and less reliable, then that might be a reason....
Yes indeed. Right to the point!

It goes to the point about outrunning the bear really meaning outrunning the guy behind you.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:28 AM   #161
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Oh, puhleeze. Bitch, moan groan. I can't even order Amazon items that are larger than a breadbox, 'cuz I'll get to make the Schlep from Hell, to our "local" PO--30 miles away, with a line that rivals the kids waiting to see the only Santa in the state on 12/23--because, of course, Amazon doesn't give two sh*ts if my packages come TO MY DOOR, which is what Prime customers pay for.

It's hopeless. Amazon says that "hey, we paid Fedex to deliver it to you," (which is a fib, btw). Fedex says that they subbed it to the PO. BUT, the PO will tell you in no uncertain way that if you live on an unpaved road, as I do, well, you're effed. That's a no-fly-zone, as far as PO trucks are concerned. Oh, and, they completely ignore this if they get one of those inexplicable, "deliver on Sundays" packages, when they DO drive right up to my door. Nope, I can't explain that, either.

"Smartpost" is a faux thing. Fedex really has NOTHING to do with it. Smartpost goes to the PO, is handled by the PO, and delivered by the PO. Why Fedex is even involved, who the hell knows?

It drives me nuts. Worse, though, every company out there is doing the same thing. (Except Chewy, which finally realized that it was losing business by doing it, so they went back to UPS, praise Jesus and pass the ammunition. They have my biz back, totally. I'd left them for about 2 years, b/c they went to the PO thing, too, and when you're ordering 20lb bags of cat food that you can't reliably find, locally...for those of you with special furbabies [POOH!])

Well, screw it. It surprises me that they'd so readily abandon the same service that made them so popular in the first place, but whadda I know?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #162
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Oh, puhleeze. Bitch, moan groan. I can't even order Amazon items that are larger than a breadbox, 'cuz I'll get to make the Schlep from Hell, to our "local" PO--30 miles away, with a line that rivals the kids waiting to see the only Santa in the state on 12/23--because, of course, Amazon doesn't give two sh*ts if my packages come TO MY DOOR, which is what Prime customers pay for.

It's hopeless. Amazon says that "hey, we paid Fedex to deliver it to you," (which is a fib, btw). Fedex says that they subbed it to the PO. BUT, the PO will tell you in no uncertain way that if you live on an unpaved road, as I do, well, you're effed. That's a no-fly-zone, as far as PO trucks are concerned. Oh, and, they completely ignore this if they get one of those inexplicable, "deliver on Sundays" packages, when they DO drive right up to my door. Nope, I can't explain that, either.

"Smartpost" is a faux thing. Fedex really has NOTHING to do with it. Smartpost goes to the PO, is handled by the PO, and delivered by the PO. Why Fedex is even involved, who the hell knows?

It drives me nuts. Worse, though, every company out there is doing the same thing. (Except Chewy, which finally realized that it was losing business by doing it, so they went back to UPS, praise Jesus and pass the ammunition. They have my biz back, totally. I'd left them for about 2 years, b/c they went to the PO thing, too, and when you're ordering 20lb bags of cat food that you can't reliably find, locally...for those of you with special furbabies [POOH!])

Well, screw it. It surprises me that they'd so readily abandon the same service that made them so popular in the first place, but whadda I know?

Hitch
If your question is why did Amazon start using the USPS for most things, then the answer is because they get a special rate from the USPS that the other carriers can't match.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #163
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If your question is why did Amazon start using the USPS for most things, then the answer is because they get a special rate from the USPS that the other carriers can't match.
No, really? /sarcasm

Of course, that's the problem. I understand that. I hardly thought that they went with them because they were MORE expensive. But it doesn't change the fact that PRIME is supposed to, after all, deliver the crap to your DOOR. Now, I don't even care that 99% of it gets delivered to my mailbox, which is 1/2 mile from my "door." I do care that I can't order anything larger than a book, pretty much, or it ends up two-hours-of-travel-and-aggravation-away-from-me.

That isn't even within tossing distance of "my door." It's not even within walking distance, or convenient driving distance. That, to me, is plainly a contravention of the agreement into which Amazon entered with me, and every other Prime user. And it's nobody's responsibility. Not Amazon ("we gave it to Fedex"), Fedex's ("we gave it to the post office with instructions to deliver it to your door") or the PO ("well, you live in a whatsits area, and we aren't allowed to drive there"). Infuriating lack of accountability.

Hitch
Old 05-19-2018, 04:44 PM   #164
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No, really? /sarcasm

Of course, that's the problem. I understand that. I hardly thought that they went with them because they were MORE expensive. But it doesn't change the fact that PRIME is supposed to, after all, deliver the crap to your DOOR. Now, I don't even care that 99% of it gets delivered to my mailbox, which is 1/2 mile from my "door." I do care that I can't order anything larger than a book, pretty much, or it ends up two-hours-of-travel-and-aggravation-away-from-me.

That isn't even within tossing distance of "my door." It's not even within walking distance, or convenient driving distance. That, to me, is plainly a contravention of the agreement into which Amazon entered with me, and every other Prime user. And it's nobody's responsibility. Not Amazon ("we gave it to Fedex"), Fedex's ("we gave it to the post office with instructions to deliver it to your door") or the PO ("well, you live in a whatsits area, and we aren't allowed to drive there"). Infuriating lack of accountability.

Hitch
I don't disagree. I really wish that Amazon gave you the choice of what deliver service to use.

I ordered a sleeping bag from Amazon yesterday and was notified that it was shipped last night. Expected arrival date - May 29th - June 1st. Dang, It's not prime shipping, but it takes 2 weeks after something was shipped to arrive? What are they shipping it by, thru-hiker?

Last edited by pwalker8; 05-19-2018 at 04:51 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:23 AM   #165
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't disagree. I really wish that Amazon gave you the choice of what deliver service to use.

I ordered a sleeping bag from Amazon yesterday and was notified that it was shipped last night. Expected arrival date - May 29th - June 1st. Dang, It's not prime shipping, but it takes 2 weeks after something was shipped to arrive? What are they shipping it by, thru-hiker?
Agreed on the "wish we could choose." Hell, I'd probably pay a slightly/somewhat greater fee, if I could stop worrying about "will this fit in my parcel locker?" stuff. When you live in the boonies, you find that ordering online is oftentimes cheaper than the gas, etc., of buying "locally." Locally, in my case, being pretty much 60-mile RTs everywhere.

I have something I ordered from them arriving--maybe--mid-June. Sheesh.

Hitch