Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
crystalheart00
crystalheart00 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
Question problem converting to EPUB

When I try to convert a book to EPUB from any other format (including EPUB to EPUB), and I bring it up to read it the words are all stacked on top of each other on every page. So what I get is an almost completely black scribbled rectangle. I even tried to go to an older version of Calibre and same thing. Do I need to change my settings? I have had the same settings for over 3 years. I've never had this problem before.

Attached is a picture of what happens when I try to convert a book. This one is from PDF to Epub, but this is what happens on most of my conversions now. This just started happening since the most recent update.
Attached Files
File Type: docx conversions.docx (2.00 MB, 111 views)

Last edited by crystalheart00; 08-30-2017 at 08:58 PM. Reason: picture of conversion attached
crystalheart00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
This is a calibre question, not a calibre companion question. Moved to the calibre forum.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
crystalheart00

I did an edit on my post. I have attached a picture of what happens when I try to convert a book.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That looks like the sort of thing that can happen if you try to convert a fixed layout EPUB with calibre.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
crystalheart00

jhowell, would you happen to know how I can fix this please? I've never had this happen before.

Thanx, crystalheart00
Old 08-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If it is a fixed layout EPUB then there isn't much you can do with it. That format positions each word in a fixed location on each page and isn't conducive to conversion. You might get something usable by stripping the formatting with an EPUB editor, but it will be a lot of work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
or the bookor conversion setting line height setting is really small. 1.2 is the norm
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The images really should be in JPG and not as a Word document.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote