Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM   #26161
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I saw in the latest Ansible that Dalmas died in June. And was way older than I had previously thought (90).

I have a few of his books, from various old Baen bundles, but haven't read any of them yet.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:23 AM   #26162
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
<snip>

Now listening to Seanan McGuire's Every Heart a Doorway and reading Lindsey Davis' The Silver Pigs.
Finished Seanan McGuire's Every Heart a Doorway while getting an oil change and radiator flush this morning. Very interesting ideas on self, home and the nature of family.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #26163
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I saw in the latest Ansible that Dalmas died in June. And was way older than I had previously thought (90).

I have a few of his books, from various old Baen bundles, but haven't read any of them yet.
You really should give them a go. I've not read anything of his that I've not thoroughly enjoyed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #26164
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read Nina Allan's "The Art of Space Travel" on my lunch break and enjoyed it immensely. I know some folks are a little fussed that this made the Hugo list because it is not traditional science fiction. Save for it being set in the 2070s, there is very little science fiction about it. But I thought it asked very interesting questions about astronauts and what drives them.

It's a free read and I recommend it to anyone who has a spare 40 or so minutes.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #26165
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just flew through The Gray Man by Mark Greaney and, as thrillers go, it was right on. Next up, the new Michael Connelly book; The Late Show
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #26166
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Finished reading Chase Baker and the Da Vinci Divinity by Vincent Zandri. Despite my disappointment over the previous book in the series, I am impressed with the plot and presentation of this book. Worth 4 stars. Now I'll not abandon the other books in the series but will keep them pending for future reading.

Not decided yet what I am going to read next.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #26167
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
One of my themes for this year is the 19th century novel and I've finally got around to Dickens. I went with Little Dorrit as it was the only one in the first six of Time magazine's top ten list as chosen at his centenary that I haven't read.

Unfortunately, it's reminding me forcibly of why Dickens has never been one of my favorites among the Victorian novelists. Overly polemical? Check. Insipid female characters? Check. I'm already on board as debtors' prisons being a very bad thing and while I grant little Dorrit herself is noble and long-suffering, she's also insufferably tedious.

I hope things pick up, as this is a long 'un.

Last edited by issybird; 07-19-2017 at 10:06 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #26168
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
One of my themes for this year is the 19th century novel and I've finally got around to Dickens. I went with Little Dorrit as it was the only one in the first six of Time magazine's top ten list as chosen at his centenary that I haven't read.

Unfortunately, it's reminding me forcibly of why Dickens has never been one of my favorites among the Victorian novelists. Overly polemical? Check. Insipid female characters? Check. I'm already on board as debtors' prisons being a very bad thing and while I grant little Dorrit herself is noble and long-suffering, she's also insufferably tedious.

I hope things pick up, as this is a long 'un.
If reading it isn't working for you, Mil Nicolson (who is a professional reader) did an audiobook of Little Dorrit for Librivox. She has done almost all of Dickens and is an absolute delight to listen to.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #26169
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dickens is one of my favourite authors, but I have to admit that "Little Dorrit" would be pretty close to the bottom of my list of his novels.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #26170
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
If reading it isn't working for you, Mil Nicolson (who is a professional reader) did an audiobook of Little Dorrit for Librivox. She has done almost all of Dickens and is an absolute delight to listen to.
Thank you! If not this time, I'll try her on a different Dickens.Because, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Dickens is one of my favourite authors, but I have to admit that "Little Dorrit" would be pretty close to the bottom of my list of his novels.
I don't see how this made #3. I'm close to jettisoning it; I know it's Dickens and I haven't read it, but it's a big investment of time and no point in throwing good time after bad when I could be reading Trollope. I think your input will tip me toward abandoning it; thank you!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #26171
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't see how this made #3. I'm close to jettisoning it; I know it's Dickens and I haven't read it, but it's a big investment of time and no point in throwing good time after bad when I could be reading Trollope. I think your input will tip me toward abandoning it; thank you!
Which others of Dickens' novels haven't you read? I'd be happy to give you my opinion (for what it's worth ) on them, given that I'm pretty sure I've read everything - both fiction and non-fiction - that he wrote.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #26172
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If you haven't read it yet - I heartily recommend 'Bleak House' - absolutely delightful IMHO - some tedious slow sections, but overall wonderfully tongue-in-cheek handling of despicable characters.

And the film versions with either Gillian Anderson or Diana Rigg are well done.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #26173
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If you haven't read it yet - I heartily recommend 'Bleak House' - absolutely delightful IMHO - some tedious slow sections, but overall wonderfully tongue-in-cheek handling of despicable characters.

Agreed - one my favourites, too (as well as being one of the first detective stories in the English language).
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #26174
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

+1 on this as well.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #26175
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Bleak House is in the third spot for me, bested by Great Expectations and
Our Mutual Friend.