Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #271
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
Has anyone used the English Wiktionary? It is larger in size than the English 1913 but was wondering if it is actually a better English dictionary for my Kobo.

Are there any downsides to using it?
I do. I like it.
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 PM   #272
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I installed it and so far it looks good. I'll have to try a few more complex words to get a real feel of how well it works but it definitely appears to be quite compatible with my Glo HD.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #273
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
A benefit of the Wikitionary over the 1913 is that it likely includes modern words which have popped up in the last hundredish years.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #274
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
GCIDE might be the best one of the free dictionaries, it is Webster's 1913 with modern additions. But Kindle can still use this: https://www.amazon.com/Collins-Engli...dp/B00JO2Y7P4/

If you care about the dictionary on your ereader...

It is just too bad that Kobo only gives us The Merriam-Webster Dictionary. They need to license something better.

Last edited by GERGE; 07-26-2016 at 08:21 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #275
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or open up and make it easier to sub in other dictionaries.

Any kind folks want to convert the GCIDE over? Seems it's been converted to XML of a sort already so it might not be the monster of all projects.

http://www.ibiblio.org/webster/
Old 07-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #276
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is also available in Stardict format, I think there was a tool to convert it: http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-di...-2.4.2.tar.bz2
Old 07-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #277
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Or open up and make it easier to sub in other dictionaries.

Any kind folks want to convert the GCIDE over? Seems it's been converted to XML of a sort already so it might not be the monster of all projects.

http://www.ibiblio.org/webster/
It's not monster projects, but it's a big projrct.
I edit the "A" and it take me an hour, with experience i can drop it half hour a letter.

Try it and tell if you like it.

This dictionary is incomplete!
dicthtml.zip
http://gcide.gnu.org.ua/license

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
It is also available in Stardict format, I think there was a tool to convert it: http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-di...-2.4.2.tar.bz2
The file is bad, it only have .dict file and i get error when it try to extract it.

Last edited by oren64; 07-26-2016 at 11:53 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #278
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

WordNet English Dictionary

WordNet English Dictionary.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet/license/

Extract the file dicthtml.zip, and copy it to \.kobo\dict

145625 Words
Attached Files
File Type: zip WordNet2.zip (13.71 MB, 1405 views)

Last edited by oren64; 07-26-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM   #279
MGlitch
Wizard

Thank you for all your work Oren

is there a reason that worldnet is roughly 1/5th the number of words as the wikitionary but it's roughly double the size?
Old 07-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #280
oren64
I need a chapter break

I Post the worng dictionary.

You can inatall the dictionay on your PC and try it:

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/wordnet...rrent-version/

Last edited by oren64; 07-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM   #281
GERGE
Guru

Dictionaries should not be compared with the number of their words, they are meaningless. The biggest English dictionary you can buy to use daily (that 20-volume OED is something much much more than a mere dictionary) is the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary and it is 250MBs on my Mac. Oxford says that it has over 600000 words, but if you only count the number of the main entries it more like 100000 entries. With derivatives it is close to 200000. Only if you count all the different definitions and phrases you can reach 600000.

So, word numbers doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited by GERGE; 07-26-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #282
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
I've now installed both the English Wiktionary as well as WordNet. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

With the Wiktionary I've noticed two issues. First, word flections are separate entries with the need to lookup the base form, and this lookup (tapping on the base form) throws me back into the stock English dictionary. Second, there are several <sup> as markup around index numbers, with the opening and closing tag sup being shown.

Nevertheless, thanks to those who have converted Wiktionary and WordNet into the Kobo dictionary format. Reading english ebooks now is even more fun.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #283
oren64
I need a chapter break

GCIDE English Dictionary

GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English

I convert this dictionary to dicthtml.

Extract the file dicthtml.zip, and copy it to \.kobo\dict

Edit: Version 1.0.7
  • Remove page number.
  • Remove highlight from text.
  • Remove "(?)" from text.
  • Fix missing latin exteneded text.

132,284 Words.
Attached Files
File Type: zip GCIDE English Dictionary.zip (14.45 MB, 1217 views)

Last edited by oren64; 07-31-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Version 1.0.7
Old 07-29-2016, 07:48 PM   #284
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Second, there are several <sup> as markup around index numbers, with the opening and closing tag sup being shown.
I probably can fix it, do you mean when you have # in the index like "1#(...)"?
Old 08-11-2016, 06:16 AM   #285
MewCore
MewCore began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Would anybody be so kind and convert the English-Croatian stardict to kobo format?
I tried myself but keep running into problems, and I guess somebody who knows what he is doing could do this in under a minute.

Here is the stardict version http://download.huzheng.org/freedict...-2.4.2.tar.bz2

Thank you in advance!
MewCore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries