Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
kuvera
kuvera began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Supported Unicode ranges

Hi, I'm considering buying an Aura SD.
Please let me know if it supports any glyph from a font that is embedded into Epub files. More specifically Unicode character range "Latin Extended Additional" (0x1Enn) (latin transliteration for Sanskrit and Vietnamese letters). I need confirmation because latest Nook shows squares even if I supply the font with the book and set publisher defaults.
It would be nice to know if the factory fonts have those glyphs, or if I install my own, will any character show up with fonts not embedded in the book? But it's not crucial if embedded fonts work fine.
kuvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The only built-in font with any glyphs from Latin Extended Additional is Kobo Nickel, it is not very complete, but it displays the glyphs it has. I have a few sideloaded fonts that have some of those glyphs and they display okay too.

If the font has the glyphs then I think they'll be displayed, it shouldn't matter whether the font is built-in, sideloaded to the device, or embedded in an epub.

Edit: Attached are screenshots from my Glo (fw 3.16.0) displaying an epub table of unicode characters U+1E00 - U+1EFF. On the left is the built-in Kobo Nickel font, and on the right a sideloaded TeX Gyre Bonum font:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-nickel.png
Views:	235
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	139224   Click image for larger version

Name:	tex-gyre-bonum.png
Views:	245
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	139225  

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-12-2015 at 07:53 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
kuvera
kuvera began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thank you very much, this is very helpful.
The built-in one is missing the glyphs that I need, but your sideloaded font has them displayed.

It means Glo does not suffer from the same flaw as the Nook Glowlight, and I can probably assume that Aura won't either.
kuvera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can sideload my Modified version of Charis SIL and you'll get the glyphs you need. Plus is looks very good on an eInk screen.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184056

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote