Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #256
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'm still suffering this. Very often, but not always, when I start nickel from KSM the card disappears. So far, I haven't had a problem when I boot directly to nickel.
Thank you. I think me too should use an external sd for some days.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #257
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

pbchess 2015-05 has been released. There is a change in the start script. If you want to use it with KSM, please copy the new start_vlasovlauncher.sh into .adds\kbmenu\onstart. I did not much testing, but it seems to work.
EDIT: I removed the archive from this post, since the script is now included in update 4.

Last edited by tshering; 06-09-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:44 AM   #258
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
I don't know if anybody will ever want to do the same thing as i did but i was trying to find the best way to do this for 2 days (i haven't changed, still bad at scripting).
I was trying to launch CoolReader directly and then exit directly to ksm, not to vlasovsoftlauncher. Found some not_updated_for_a_long_time scripts for that in KSM but even if i've updated them - CR loses sleeping function + sleepcover and a bunch of other things. "Not an option" i thought, and came up with this WEEEEIRD solution. But hey, it works at least. (AS IS. Even though it actually works and with 99,99% chance won't damage your device cause.. well, it just won't. This is just a bunch of shell scripts)

So, here's how.
WARNING: do NOT run vlasovsoft apps until you're done!
WARNING: only use UNIX-like editor to do this!
WARNING: you should be careful and/or know what you're doing!
SUGGESTION: you may want to backup everything you edit. or may not want. depends on you.
Spoiler:
1. You gotta prepare yourself a launcher.ini file. To do that, run vlasovsoftlauncher, press options and set everything as you like except for autorun option - it should be "none" for this to work right.
2. When you're done, connect your Kobo to PC, go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft and rename launcher.ini to launcher.ini.dfl
2.5. You can rename cr3.sh to cr3.sh.bkp in the same folder if you feel like it.
3. Next you gotta get yourself a copy of start_vlasovlauncher.sh (if you're using CR 2015.05 - get it from the post above (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=257)
4. Now "magic begins". You gotta find a
Code:
# run launcher
section and change it to this
Spoiler:
cat $ROOT/launcher.ini.dfl > $ROOT/launcher.ini
echo "#!/bin/sh" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh
echo "exec cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh
$ROOT/launcher -qws -stylesheet $STYLESHEET

5. Anywhere after
Code:
line (i suggest in the # remove fifo section, just because if already contains 2 rm commands, why not add some more) you gotta add these lines
Spoiler:

rm $ROOT/launcher.ini
rm $ROOT/cr3.sh

6. After all the modifications you've done, you should put it to /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart and replace existing start_vlasovlauncher.sh with the one you've just made.
7. Now, copy the file you've just made and copy it to the very same folder and name it cr3.sh (notice: there's already one with this name, you gotta remove it first; notice 2: i'm talking about /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart)
8. Now open it and find
Code:
# run launcher
section.
9. This section in this file should look like this:
Spoiler:
echo "autorun=CoolReader" >> $ROOT/launcher.ini
echo "cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh
echo "echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO1" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh

10. Everything else remains the same, save changes and close the file.
11. Now go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh. (WARNING: You should be EXTREMELY careful while editing this, if you mess something up - you'll have to factory reset your kobo)
12. Find
Code:
insertCRportrait=false
, it's not far from beginning of the file
13. Change false to true, save, if you don't want to setup launching CoolReader from nickel - reboot the device, if you want this - proceed to 14.
14. Go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft and edit launcher.sh
15. Add this to
Code:
#run launcher
section:
Spoiler:

16. And this to
Code:
#remove fifos
section
Spoiler:

rm $ROOT/launcher.ini
rm $ROOT/cr3.sh

Now KSM has 2 options - start vlasovsoftlauncher and start coolreader. Second option starts CoolReader "directly" (actually, it's still using the launcher, so all the launcher dependant options are working) and when you close CR - you're going straight to KSM. And first option starts vlasovsoftlauncher as always, with selection of all the additional things like sudoku.
There may be a better way to do this, i still didn't figure it out.
But hey, it works great (for me at least), so i'll leave it be until (not sure it would but still) it screws me over somehow.

Last edited by AlterusPrime; 05-18-2015 at 02:15 AM.
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #259
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Thank you. I think me too should use an external sd for some days.
Note that I didn't touch the card at all. It was inserted in the reader and it stayed there all the time. The easiest way to see if it's detected or not is, I believe, looking for a library tile in the home screen. At every nickel start, if the card is detected the library tile will be there, even if it was dismissed before, when the card is not detected no library tile appears.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #260
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterusPrime View Post
I don't know if anybody will ever want to do the same thing as i did but i was trying to find the best way to do this for 2 days (i haven't changed, still bad at scripting).
I was trying to launch CoolReader directly and then exit directly to ksm, not to vlasovsoftlauncher. Found some not_updated_for_a_long_time scripts for that in KSM but even if i've updated them - CR loses sleeping function + sleepcover and a bunch of other things. "Not an option" i thought, and came up with this WEEEEIRD solution. But hey, it works at least. (AS IS. Even though it actually works and with 99,99% chance won't damage your device cause.. well, it just won't. This is just a bunch of shell scripts)

So, here's how.
WARNING: do NOT run vlasovsoft apps until you're done!
WARNING: only use UNIX-like editor to do this!
WARNING: you should be careful and/or know what you're doing!
SUGGESTION: you may want to backup everything you edit. or may not want. depends on you.
Spoiler:
1. You gotta prepare yourself a launcher.ini file. To do that, run vlasovsoftlauncher, press options and set everything as you like except for autorun option - it should be "none" for this to work right.
2. When you're done, connect your Kobo to PC, go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft and rename launcher.ini to launcher.ini.dfl
2.5. You can rename cr3.sh to cr3.sh.bkp in the same folder if you feel like it.
3. Next you gotta get yourself a copy of start_vlasovlauncher.sh (if you're using CR 2015.05 - get it from the post above (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=257)
4. Now "magic begins". You gotta find a
Code:
# run launcher
section and change it to this
Spoiler:

5. Anywhere after
Code:
line (i suggest in the # remove fifo section, just because if already contains 2 rm commands, why not add some more) you gotta add these lines
Spoiler:

rm $ROOT/launcher.ini
rm $ROOT/cr3.sh

6. After all the modifications you've done, you should put it to /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart and replace existing start_vlasovlauncher.sh with the one you've just made.
7. Now, copy the file you've just made and copy it to the very same folder and name it cr3.sh (notice: there's already one with this name, you gotta remove it first; notice 2: i'm talking about /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart)
8. Now open it and find
Code:
# run launcher
section.
9. This section in this file should look like this:
Spoiler:
echo "autorun=CoolReader" >> $ROOT/launcher.ini
echo "cr3/cr3 -stylesheet $STYLESHEET" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh
echo "echo "exit" > $VLASOVSOFT_FIFO1" >> $ROOT/cr3.sh

10. Everything else remains the same, save changes and close the file.
11. Now go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/kbmenu/onstart/ksmhome.sh. (WARNING: You should be EXTREMELY careful while editing this, if you mess something up - you'll have to factory reset your kobo)
12. Find
Code:
insertCRportrait=false
, it's not far from beginning of the file
13. Change false to true, save, if you don't want to setup launching CoolReader from nickel - reboot the device, if you want this - proceed to 14.
14. Go to /mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft and edit launcher.sh
15. Add this to
Code:
#run launcher
section:
Spoiler:

16. And this to
Code:
#remove fifos
section
Spoiler:

rm $ROOT/launcher.ini
rm $ROOT/cr3.sh

Now KSM has 2 options - start vlasovsoftlauncher and start coolreader. Second option starts CoolReader "directly" (actually, it's still using the launcher, so all the launcher dependant options are working) and when you close CR - you're going straight to KSM. And first option starts vlasovsoftlauncher as always, with selection of all the additional things like sudoku.
There may be a better way to do this, i still didn't figure it out.
But hey, it works great (for me at least), so i'll leave it be until (not sure it would but still) it screws me over somehow.
Thank you for the valuable contribution. I modified things a little bit in order to adjust it closer to the KSM style.

Spoiler:
Since pbchess 2015-05 is marked as "in progress", I do not publish an KSM update now. Therefore if one likes to try this one has to install it manually.

• copy the two files start_vlasovlauncher.sh and cr3.sh into .adds\kbmenu\onstart (this will overwrite the already existing files of the same names)
  • add in .adds\kbmenu\confoptions\ksm_ini_options.txt these lines (use only a unix style editor!)
    Code:
    [vlasovsoft]
    insertCRportait=false
    insertCRportait=true
  • safely eject and disconect

configure:
  1. select (home) > configure
  2. select add section > [vlasovsoft] (do this only if this section does not already exist)
  3. select [vlasovsoft] > add item > insertCRportait=true
  4. select return
  5. select save and exit

Use this only with pbchess 2015.05!

Edit: I removed the archive from this post, since it is now included in update 4. The description of how to configure is still valid.

Last edited by tshering; 10-28-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #261
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Note that I didn't touch the card at all. It was inserted in the reader and it stayed there all the time. The easiest way to see if it's detected or not is, I believe, looking for a library tile in the home screen. At every nickel start, if the card is detected the library tile will be there, even if it was dismissed before, when the card is not detected no library tile appears.
Does this, namely that the sd is not detected, happen only after powering on/off or also after exiting nickel to KSM and restarting nickel?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 AM   #262
AlterusPrime
Enthusiast
AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlterusPrime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Glo
tshering
Wow, this solution with no coolreader "preparing", that's what i wanted to achieve at first but then i've realized that it won't work out ('cause i'm bad, yeah).
Thanks
AlterusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #263
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I installed KSM on my Glo HD and experienced the same problems as flip1314. When applying the updates the screen rotates 90 ° and the close option shows no effect when I tap it.

A pinhole reset did the trick for me. The KSM menu appeared and I was able to start nickel from the menu. Then I installed Koreader and Coolreader as recommended for KSM. For CoolReader I applied tshering's workaround for the latest version 2015.05.

After a reboot KSM regognized both readers.

A few times when I looked something up in the KSM menu, the device startet nickel spontanouesly. I also am not able to change the font size in the KSM menu via usersettings. And yes, I have uncommented the lines (#).

Apart from that everything works fine. I'm a happy reader.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:33 AM   #264
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
I installed KSM on my Glo HD and experienced the same problems as flip1314. When applying the updates the screen rotates 90 ° and the close option shows no effect when I tap it.
Thank you for confirming this issue. I wonder whether this is happening on other models too.

Quote:
A pinhole reset did the trick for me.
Could you please check whether the upgrade process was completely successful? You would have to unpack the upgrade packages on your PC and compare the files with those on you Glo HD. The content of the archive "local" should have been copied to .adds\kbmenu, and the content of the archive "global" to the root. Please try at least to check the local stuff. It might have a bad effect if only parts of the updates were written to the disc before rebooting.

Quote:
A few times when I looked something up in the KSM menu, the device startet nickel spontanouesly.
I do not know why this is happening. Did you recognize any regularities? Any specific sub menus where it happens?
Quote:
I also am not able to change the font size in the KSM menu via usersettings. And yes, I have uncommented the lines (#).
After Update 2 usersettings.txt is not any longer supported. Please have a look at the post on configure. Currently you can choose between three font sizes (I inserted them only as an example).
Code:
kobomenuFontsize=35
kobomenuFontsize=45
kobomenuFontsize=55
In order to enlarge the number of font size options, please edit the file .adds\kbmenu\confoptions\ksm_ini_options.txt.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Apart from that everything works fine. I'm a happy reader.
Thank you for your report.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #265
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Could you please check whether the upgrade process was completely successful? You would have to unpack the upgrade packages on your PC and compare the files with those on you Glo HD. The content of the archive "local" should have been copied to .adds\kbmenu, and the content of the archive "global" to the root. Please try at least to check the local stuff. It might have a bad effect if only parts of the updates were written to the disc before rebooting.
The files of the unpacked local.tgz of Update 1 have been applied, but no file of the global.tgz. Also it seems that no files of Update 2 or Update 3 have been copied. I will add them manually.

Quote:
I do not know why this is happening. Did you recognize any regularities? Any specific sub menus where it happens?
No regularities that I noted. It happened three or four times. Until then I only used the usb and the tools menu.

Quote:
After Update 2 usersettings.txt is not any longer supported. Please have a look at the post on configure. Currently you can choose between three font sizes (I inserted them only as an example).
I wasn't aware of that change. Thank you for the hint!
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #266
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Does this, namely that the sd is not detected, happen only after powering on/off or also after exiting nickel to KSM and restarting nickel?
I haven't tried exiting to KSM very often, but it hasn't helped so far.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 AM   #267
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't tried exiting to KSM very often, but it hasn't helped so far.
My reason for asking was that I was not able to reproduce the issue by repeated powering off/on and starting nickel. So I thought I might speed up the process by only exiting and restarting nickel. But I was not sure whether the issue would appear in this condition at all.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 AM   #268
tshering
Wizard

Jellby, if you like we can try something. When KSM starts nickel it (or rather start_nickel.sh) checks whether an external sd is mounted, and if it is mounted, it communicates this fact to nickel. So maybe for some reasons the sd is not yet mounted at this point and therefore KSM does not inform nickel.
I upload a version of start_nickel.sh that waits some time for the sd to be mounted. You can replace the normal version in .adds\kbmenu\onstart with this version, or you can copy the new version to .adds\kbmenu\onstart\scripts and launch it by selecting "scripts" > "start nickel.sh".

Since exiting and restarting nickel did not help, I have some doubts whether there is really this timing problem.

Note: The usage of this script is only convenient for people who have always an external sd inserted in their reader. Otherwise it is a waste of time every time you start nickel.
Attached Files
File Type: zip start_nickel.zip (1.4 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by tshering; 05-20-2015 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #269
tshering
Wizard

Maybe I should say some words about the usage of fonts in KSM. By default only one font, namely DejaVu Sans (in KSM 08: Droid Sans) is used.
If you want you can add further fonts to the folder .adds\kbmenu\Qt\fonts (in KSM 08: .adds\kbmenu_user\fonts), and set in "configure" in the section [general], useMultiplefonts=true.
Unfortunately, one has to tinker with the fonts to get the wished for result, and maybe to compromise. Here is what I did:
  • First I added a Japanese font (some version of Gothic; NOTE: Don't take Kobo's encrypted/obfuscated fonts!). This worked as expected: English characters are displayed with DejaVu Sans, Japanese characters with Gothic.
  • Then I added, a Tibetan font (Qomolangma-Uchen Sarchen). However, Tibetan characters were shown as little boxes.
  • Next, I removed all fonts apart from the Tibetan font. As a result English and Tibetan characters were displayed with Qomolangma-Uchen Sarchen, Japanese characters were shown as little boxes.
  • Next, I added again the Japanese font. As a results, Tibetan characters were displayed with Qomolangma-Uchen Sarchen, Japanese and English characters with Gothic. Having the English characters displayed in Gothic is almost unbearable.
  • Next I added Gandhari Unicode. As a result Tibetan is displayed with Qomolangma-Uchen Sarchen, Japanese with Gothic, and English with Gandhari Unicode. The attached images show (1) the menu with entries in English, Japanese, Tibetan, (2) the KSM viewer showing a page with Tibetan and Chinese, (3) the KSM viewer showing a page with Tibetan, Chinese, and English. You will note that some of the Chinese characters a missing. The reason is, of course, that I have a Japanese font installed, and this font does support only a sub set of Chinese characters.

Edit (some weeks later): Today I added Sanskrit2003.ttf. However, instead of Devanagari characters only squares appeared. Only after I deleted the Japanese font msgothic.ttc, did Devanagari characters show. For some reason msGothic qualifies as supporting Devanagari characters, even though it does not contain the corresponding glyphs. Since Qt checks the fonts in alphabetical order, msGothic overpowers Sanskrit2003. The work around is to rename Sanskrit2003.ttf to aSanskrit2003.ttf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20150523_202315.png
Views:	721
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	138585   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20150523_202536.png
Views:	705
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	138586   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_20150523_202654.png
Views:	675
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	138587  

Last edited by tshering; 10-30-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #270
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Is there some way to inject an account instead of use the one store in the KSM's activation option?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader/nickel, ksm 07