Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #1591
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Apparently, 5.6.1 is even meaner than we thought... talented!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #1592
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oops. Did I forget to mention that I *thought* 5.6.1 worked around the 'partial' trick? My bad :/.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #1593
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Oops. Did I forget to mention that I *thought* 5.6.1 worked around the 'partial' trick? My bad :/.
Well if you did, I didn't notice! But there is such a whole lot of 5.6.1 threads these days... more than I have time to read.
Well, if you only "thought" it, now you "know". It definitely does.
I don't know about the other method (that I can't even recall right now), 'cause I read it but I wasn't willing to go through it. :P
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #1594
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Ruskie_it: I vaguely remember seeing something wonky, and not having had time to check it out. Guess I don't need to anymore...

Note that I also have no idea if BDL is safe/effective on 5.6.x either...
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #1595
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it a different dl name, or a pre-dl cleanup?
Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #1596
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@eschwartz: No idea. I'm guessing cleanup, though.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #1597
NiLuJe
BLAM!

ATTN: silent 5.6.x update victims running an outdated JailBreak

Okay, as promised earlier, here's an early winter break present .

PSA: All downloads have been moved to the Snapshots thread! (Under the "K5 JailBreak HotFix" listing).

If you've just successfully ran any iteration of a Factory JailBreak, this is your next step .
Alternatively, if you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of this JailBreak when you got a >= 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the latest package from the Snapshots thread, under the "K5 JailBreak HotFix" listing, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.

----

If you're coming straight from the 5.6.5 JB or the Factory Downgrade threads and you completely skipped the first post of *this* thread, be aware that on FW >= 5.5.x (i.e., you), using MRPI is REQUIRED to install every other custom packages!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-05-2021 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Moved downloads to the Snapshots thread
Old 12-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #1598
gianpaoloc
gianpaoloc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Dear NiLuJe,
as I said in a previous message, I had a jailbroken PW2 with 5.4.5.1 version, with jailbreak 1.10.N and the corresponding bridge (and usbnetwork "0.16.N-r10711") installed. A few days ago my PW2 updated to 5.6.1 so I lost my JB.

Now I tested your new hotfix above and it was recognized. I could go with the usual "[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle" sequence and my PW2 rebooted. Now, how may I test if I recovered my JB? I tried to install latest usbnetwork hack "kindle-usbnet-0.18.N-r11218.tar.xz" but in this case, when I do "[HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU]", the "Update Your Kindle" option is grayed out. Does this mean I was not able to recover my JB?

Anything may I test?

Thanks in advance
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #1599
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@gianpaoloc-
I'd bet the jailbreak worked...try installing other things via the KUAL MRInstaller extension...should work.

@NiLuJe- 'You can't stop the signal, Mal' !!...

Last edited by GoSharks; 12-17-2014 at 04:24 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #1600
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gianpaoloc View Post
Dear NiLuJe,
as I said in a previous message, I had a jailbroken PW2 with 5.4.5.1 version, with jailbreak 1.10.N and the corresponding bridge (and usbnetwork "0.16.N-r10711") installed. A few days ago my PW2 updated to 5.6.1 so I lost my JB.
I am curious... if 5.6.1 deletes "old" .bin files on eject (so that hacks can't be installed without using mrinstaller), how is this new jb recognized?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #1601
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@gianpaoloc: As @GoSharks mentioned, if the update was successful (that the Kindle restarted is only an indication the update *attempted* to run, what we care about is the final result of the update process, before the reboot), use MRPI to install your packages (cf. the full 5.6.x notice if the first post).

@Ruskie_it: By being packaged differently, in a way that makes FW 5.6.1.x mostly happy.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #1602
mfirewire
mfirewire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Download the attached zip file, and unpack it.
Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. If the update is successful, you're golden. If it fails, it probably means you weren't properly jailbroken before the update, in which case, you're still screwed.
@NiLuJe Great! this hotfix works for me. I've jailbroken KPW2 on 5.4.3.2 with 1.10.N. And it silently OTA to 5.6.1. Now I am jailbroken AGAIN!

Thanks!
mfirewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:59 PM   #1603
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:

If you happened to be running a live, but outdated version of the JailBreak when you got the 5.6.x update, this package should get you back on track.

Copy the Update_jailbreak_1.14.N_install.bin file to the root directory of your Kindle.

Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #1604
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
NiLuJe - Thanks for making Christmas just a bit more merry for a lot of folks!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #1605
satchmo
satchmo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:

Zat you, Santa Claus?
Big thank!
satchmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch