Notices

Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 AM   #1
jenrar
Connoisseur
jenrar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Series description

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a plugin or a way to add a description for a series, so it shows up when you make a catalog of your books.

TIA!
jenrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrar View Post
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a plugin or a way to add a description for a series, so it shows up when you make a catalog of your books.

TIA!
You making an epub catalog?

I'm not sure this is what you mean but when creating an epub catalog you can add a hook to 'Descriptions' in the 'Included sections'. This will show you the book-info AND the comments from the metadata. So if your series-info stands in the comments you will see it there.

You also can add a column for the 'Merge with Comments' part that will show under the comments of a book.

Mini
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
jenrar
Connoisseur

I'm making a MOBI one, not epub.

I don't understand much of what you said, unfortunately. *laugh*

In the comments box for each book, I've been putting the book description. What did you mean with: add a hook to 'Descriptions' in the 'Included sections'. ?

Also, what's the 'Merge with Comments' part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMouse View Post
You making an epub catalog?

I'm not sure this is what you mean but when creating an epub catalog you can add a hook to 'Descriptions' in the 'Included sections'. This will show you the book-info AND the comments from the metadata. So if your series-info stands in the comments you will see it there.

You also can add a column for the 'Merge with Comments' part that will show under the comments of a book.

Mini
Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrar View Post
I'm making a MOBI one, not epub.

I don't understand much of what you said, unfortunately. *laugh*

In the comments box for each book, I've been putting the book description. What did you mean with: add a hook to 'Descriptions' in the 'Included sections'. ?

Also, what's the 'Merge with Comments' part?
The catalog options are the same for MOBI or EPUB, the file output is the difference.

If you look at the screenshot attached at the bottom you'll see two red arrows pointing to the Merged With Comments section. Right above that is the Extra Description note option. You can use these to add information from a custom column to the Description for each book listing.

You would most likely want to create a custom column using the "Long text, like comments, not shown in tag browser" option, naming it something like Series Description or Info. You could then add the description for a series to each book or at least the first book in the series.

When you create the catalog you'd then select the Series Description column from the list and it will appear in the book descriptions.

Hope that helped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	127150  
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
If you look at the screenshot attached at the bottom you'll see two red arrows pointing to the Merged With Comments section. Right above that is the Extra Description note option. You can use these to add information from a custom column to the Description for each book listing.
Just to show you @jenrar what you would see in the catalog from what @BookJunkie explained if you have a custom column for both. In my case:

'Extra Description note' is displaying: Words / Status / read & read all
'Merge with Comments': Pairing (Relationship) // Rated // Genre // Characters

Both columns are built from other columns.

You can see in the picture the outcome.

Mini
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catalog.png
Views:	270
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	127161  
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM   #6
jenrar
Connoisseur

Thank you both for the posts. That's a HUGE help! I truly appreciate it!

Tags
catalog, series