Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #46
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersott View Post
Yes, the page slider, it's strange, i can't open TOC in my epub book, My kobo reboot, later i try with another book...
I sideload everything and have not had this problem on my Glo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
I have a Glo and sliding my finger up or down the left side has no effect on the light.
Anyone else have this problem?
Am I doing something wrong?
There definitely seems to be a trick to it; I had to experiment a bit to get the hang of it, but it does work. Up is brighter, down is dimmer.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #47
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
As others said, you must be within a book for it to work. And I find it works best if my finger is actually touching the bezel and the glass, you really need to be along the far left edge. If I do it along the edge even a slight distance from the left, it won't work. This is on a Glo.
Yup, that's it. The Glo was in a 'slip in' case. I couldn't physically get near enough to the edge. Out of the case it worked fine.

Thanks to all who answered.

V
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Yup, that's it. The Glo was in a 'slip in' case. I couldn't physically get near enough to the edge. Out of the case it worked fine.

Thanks to all who answered.

V
I think it's now time to get a new case that doesn't obscure where you want to touch on the screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #49
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's now time to get a new case that doesn't obscure where you want to touch on the screen.
Naw, truth is I never change the brightness now. I just wanted to see it work.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
You are wrong...

I suppose you cannot track and test everything...
Yeah, I know. But, I wanted to reduce the number of time "Have they fixed Kobo Nickel?" was asked. That and a few other problems are commented on so much that I test them pretty quickly.
Quote:
3.8.0. also solves transparent images rendering which sometimes were drawn in black (no transparency at all).

I never found which exact kind of images or chained troubles generated the issue, (as it didn't always happen). But it was shown in either Web Browser or some books with embedded images. Good pages to test: www.tweakguides.com (the big logo) and www.google.com (the menu icon in the upper left corner of the screen).
I don't remember seeing that reported before. But, I do remember seeing that black blob on the Google home page. And it is fixed now. I think they use WebKit for the browser and other places, so it probably means they have updated that or a related component.

I'll add this to my first post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
just checked my Aura HD, still 3.3
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM   #52
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
I noticed today that after downloading an epub from calibre content server my Aura HD running 3.8.0 popped up a message saying the download was done. I can't recall that ever happening before. Just tested on my Aura running 3.3 and it doesn't give me a popup message when download finishes, is this a change in behavior or just a random thing?

After updating my Aura and some more testing this is definitely a change in the browser behavior. I like that it tells me the download is done now, unfortunately if I download a second epub in the same browser session I get the download done popup twice, download a third file and I get it 3 more times. I stopped after 5th epub and 5 popups but suspect it would continue that way endlessly. Thankfully it is only downloading each file once, but the multiple pop-ups that you have to respond to for each file is crazy.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 08-28-2014 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Additional testing
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #53
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
I noticed today that after downloading an epub from calibre content server my Aura HD running 3.8.0 popped up a message saying the download was done. I can't recall that ever happening before. Just tested on my Aura running 3.3 and it doesn't give me a popup message when download finishes, is this a change in behavior or just a random thing?
I don't remember seeing it before. It offers to open the file or close, which I think is a good idea. But, I could understand if someone wanted to turn it off.
Quote:
After updating my Aura and some more testing this is definitely a change in the browser behavior. I like that it tells me the download is done now, unfortunately if I download a second epub in the same browser session I get the download done popup twice, download a third file and I get it 3 more times. I stopped after 5th epub and 5 popups but suspect it would continue that way endlessly. Thankfully it is only downloading each file once, but the multiple pop-ups that you have to respond to for each file is crazy.
And I saw this to. That's painful. Luckily it resets when you close and reopen the browser.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #54
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
dictionaries

I noticed changes in the dictionary calls with 3.8 last night. I'd already noticed a bug with Spanish a few versions back (I reported it in the bug thread) but this is different: Kobo apparently decided to go to a translation dictionary instead of single language for the first pop-up when appropriate, considering the translation dictionaries always turn around English. I know many people prefer it, but with how poor the kobo dual language dictionaries are (possibly apart from the English-French one), I'm afraid it won't be much use to them - Sony dictionaries were much better.

At present, with my language defined as the usual French
  • Spanish defined books call the French dictionary, unless I switch the parameters language to Spanish - the same books that called the Spanish dictionary a few releases ago
  • English defined books call the English-French dictionary in the first pop-up, the single language English in the full page called from the pop-up
  • French, Italian and German books call the single language appropriate dictionary in both pop-up and full page
If I define my language as English
  • Spanish and English defined books call the English dictionary
  • French, German and Italian defined books call the French-English/German-English/Italian-English dictionaries respectively in the first pop-up, the single language appropriate ones in the full page called from the pop-up

I understand that most of this corresponds to majority wishes, though I would like an option to choose single language as a first choice - not to speak of decent translation dictionaries - but I DON'T understand why, while implementing all this, kobo didn't solve the reported Spanish bug.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 AM   #55
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hi,

I have a Glo and sliding my finger up or down the left side has no effect on the light.
Anyone else have this problem?
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

V
It does work fine at my Aura HD but it seems not to work at my Glo or I just can't do it right,maybe to slow cause I mark a lot of txt

Last edited by Nick_1964; 08-29-2014 at 04:31 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:13 AM   #56
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
For those who are asking, IMHO the 3.8 fw is better than the 3.5 fw
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:20 AM   #57
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
That left-edge light thing really rocks. I'm trying to recreate that bookmark bug but it's not happening. I'm mostly using side loaded tho.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #58
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
That left-edge light thing really rocks. I'm trying to recreate that bookmark bug but it's not happening. I'm mostly using side loaded tho.
First bookmark a page.. then go 3 or 4 pages up, then while reading bring up the annotations list by tapping on low in the middle and you see the page slider, use the option in most lower right, choose annotations, you see the list where the bookmarks are, go to the last created and try to undo the bookmark by tapping on it, the it reboots.
Only way to remove the bookmarks and not get a reboot is when you are in the annotations list,choose options and delete all.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 AM   #59
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
First bookmark a page.. then go 3 or 4 pages up, then while reading bring up the annotations list by tapping on low in the middle and you see the page slider, use the option in most lower right, choose annotations, you see the list where the bookmarks are, go to the last created and try to undo the bookmark by tapping on it, the it reboots.
Only way to remove the bookmarks and not get a reboot is when you are in the annotations list,choose options and delete all.
There we go... It just happened... But since I don't really use the annotations that much, let alone delete a bookmark, all of the new things that 3.8 brings (mainly that light control and collections sort) are worth the update...
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #60
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
I like fw 3.8.0 so far, it feels more responsive and open the books faster on my Kobo Aura. I still have some big math textbook which I bought from Kobo, so it's their kepub, and it still takes like 15 sec to open (on my desktop the same thing), but all the other side loaded ones open in a blink.

My Kobo Aura is from Fnac, I had to manually update. Thanks for posting the link.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote