Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > BBeB/LRF Books (offline)

Notices

Old 11-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Kuttner, Henry: The Time Axis. v1. 09 Nov 08

This title was released under a Creative Commons License with a link to the book here. There is additional acknowledgement AND a link again placed at the end of the book. Book was acquired from Manybooks.net, BUT REFORMATED BY ME TO MY SPECIFICATIONS.

An early fantasy novel by Henry Kuttner, originally published in 1949 and later reprinted by ACE in the '60s.

Here's what one reviewer on Amazon says about this novel:

"The story here concerns the "nekron," a shadowy whatzit that is killing Earthlings and causing the spread of an all-new form of matter: "a dead null-energy pattern of negation." Freelance reporter Jerry Cortland, a Madame Curie-type physicist named Letta Essen, dilettante scientist Ira de Kalb and martinet Army Col. Harrison Murray attempt a trip to the far, far future, after having received a distress summons found in a mysterious box on the isle of Crete. de Kalb had recently discovered the eponymous "time axis" buried in the Canadian Laurentians, and so, somewhat reluctantly, the quartet takes off in answer to the summons of the Face of Ea, and to hopefully find a cure for the nekron plague. Somehow, though, they do not get very far--perhaps only 1,000 years from now; the authors coyly refuse to be specific--and then the really strange stuff starts happening, as their personalities are absorbed by their futuristic counterparts and they get involved with brewing trouble regarding some synthetic humans, the Mechandroids. And this capsule description does not even begin to convey the temporal theorizing, mind-blowing plot developments and mysterious happenings that befall the four, all culminating in a grand duke-out with the nekron itself through both time and space."

I read this novel, along with the other Henry Kuttner novels I've assembled, back in the 60s when ACE reprinted them. They're fun to read and enjoyable entertainment. If you're tired of fat, preachy fantasy novels, then these early novels of Henry Kuttner are very enjoyable, indeed.

Like all the books I assemble on MobileRead, this too was assembled to reflect human intervention and artistic judgment.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote