Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #61
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It doesn't use your free iCloud space. Yes, once you buy it you can download it via iTunes to your pc and then transfer it to your iPad, like any other purchase from the iTunes Store. Since you don't want to watch it, this is all moot.
As I am new to iPad I bow to your superior knowledge about iCloud.

However of the "Gifts" I actually bought all except one I had to download there and then to my iPad via the "Gifts" app. Only one of them gave me the option to download later ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #62
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From the comments about the "Gifts" as a whole, people don't seem to be very impressed ?

How do you think Apple can improve this, assuming they do it again at Christmas 2014 ?

I suggest they give people a choice.

That is each day you can download one "Gift" from say a choice of 3, the choice changing each day ?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #63
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
How do you think Apple can improve this, assuming they do it again at Christmas 2014 ?
Terminate the program
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #64
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
From the comments about the "Gifts" as a whole, people don't seem to be very impressed ?

That is each day you can download one "Gift" from say a choice of 3, the choice changing each day ?
Actually, this is an excellent idea
Old 01-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #65
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:

Apple has been doing this for many, many years now. It's only been this year that they opened it up to the US and other countries.

And there has never been a problem.

It's supposed to work like an advent calendar. You get what's behind the little door.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #66
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
As I am new to iPad I bow to your superior knowledge about iCloud.

However of the "Gifts" I actually bought all except one I had to download there and then to my iPad via the "Gifts" app. Only one of them gave me the option to download later ?
I got this option for videos only. For other stuff, you can always stop the download after it has started I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Apple has been doing this for many, many years now. It's only been this year that they opened it up to the US and other countries.

It's supposed to work like an advent calendar. You get what's behind the little door.
Not sure what you mean by that... This has been available in France for at least three years. And last year I wasn't very impressed by the gifts either. I don't particularly mind, after all I don't have to download them if I don't like them, and if I do download them they don't cost me a thing even if I don't like them.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #67
mXb
Addict

Quote:

...then it's long overdue for some fresh ideas !

Apple like to do regular updates, so time to update this also.

Last edited by mXb; 01-07-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #68
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

Not from Apple. They're all about margins and that dictates giving away stuff only a limited number of people would want.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:40 AM   #69
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not from Apple. They're all about margins and that dictates giving away stuff only a limited number of people would want.
You ever think that the developers say no too? Developers don't like flat deals either. Read on the controversy of MacHeist.

Most of them charged again for an iOS 7 updated app for a reason.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #70
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I would doubt that this is their motive. Apple has a large widely divergent customer base with vastly different interests. When they offered HUGO as a download I thought it was an excellent choice and everyone would like it but here at MobileRead people complained. I think some people would kick if they were hung with a new rope. Anyway I think it is likely that Apple is likely working with their suppliers of information to promote certain apps and tunes while attempting to provide content to their widely divergent customer base.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #71
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

The app is not the source of free items. It is only the messenger. There is nothing that can be done to the messenger to make it work better. I did not download the app early on but every time someone mentioned the freebee I went and looked in iTunes and sure enough it was marked zero cost for anyone to download. They simply change the price for one day and then alert via the app. To give away one free item out of three choices would require changing the entire pricing code and how the store works for Apple which would also change their accounting system. I seriously doubt the 12 days of free items warrant redoing the entire store.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #72
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would doubt that this is their motive. Apple has a large widely divergent customer base with vastly different interests. When they offered HUGO as a download I thought it was an excellent choice and everyone would like it but here at MobileRead people complained. I think some people would kick if they were hung with a new rope. Anyway I think it is likely that Apple is likely working with their suppliers of information to promote certain apps and tunes while attempting to provide content to their widely divergent customer base.

Dale
If Apple truly cared about their customer base, they would offer several choices each day of the giveaway. They have the money and they can afford to do this once each year.

Anyway, most of the comments I read at various websites on this 12 Day giveaway were generally negative on the media that was offered. Even worse, the 12 Day app they designed required iOS 7. What's with that? Only one item of the 12 offered required iOS 7.

Oh well, I still think it's all about margins.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #73
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Negative comments from people who want what they specifically want for free. Everyone wants Minecraft for free (they even beg on the Amazon Appstore to make it FAOTD), yet they don't take into account of the server costs the app cost pays for.

The same people who don't understand that a music studio to record that $0.99 song costs $2,000 a day sometimes. When I took music production my first year of college, a lot of the things I learnt made me think differently about pirating music, and it's why I stopped. A lot of artists will tell you they don't care, but honestly, it's affecting them, they just aren't being honest about it. Everyone's just learning to downsize.

It's even worse that people think games are made in a day. Most of the SDKs just to BUILD a game with are $5,000+.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:09 AM   #74
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Negative comments from people who want what they specifically want for free. Everyone wants Minecraft for free (they even beg on the Amazon Appstore to make it FAOTD), yet they don't take into account of the server costs the app cost pays for.

The same people who don't understand that a music studio to record that $0.99 song costs $2,000 a day sometimes. When I took music production my first year of college, a lot of the things I learnt made me think differently about pirating music, and it's why I stopped. A lot of artists will tell you they don't care, but honestly, it's affecting them, they just aren't being honest about it. Everyone's just learning to downsize.

It's even worse that people think games are made in a day. Most of the SDKs just to BUILD a game with are $5,000+.
Developer costs are irrelevant to this discussion. My point is that Apple foots the bill when developers choose not to participate.