Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #1
mimihuhu
mimihuhu began at the beginning.

Device: none
/usr/java/lib/fonts is readonly

I update my Kindle Touch to 5.3.2.1, and jailbreak it.

I don't like the default font for Asian characters, so I want to post some new fonts into folder "/usr/java/lib/fonts", and re-generate "fonts.dir" and re-config "local.conf". In that way, Asian characters can be displayed as new font, and Latin characters can be displayed as original font. But I notice folder /usr/java/lib/fonts is no longer a read-write folder now, even after running comand "mntroot rw". Seems some new restrictions are added to prevent making changes to this folder.

I know how to use an alternate font by adding empty file "USE_ALT_FONTS" and putting font files into folder "fonts" to device in USB mode. However, if I change a font in this way and read a book with an Asian font, the Asian characters will be pretty, but the English characters in that book will also displayed in Asian font, and will be ugly.

Does anyone know how to mount /usr/java/lib/fonts as a read-write folder? Thanks!
mimihuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimihuhu View Post
I update my Kindle Touch to 5.3.2.1, and jailbreak it.

I don't like the default font for Asian characters, so I want to post some new fonts into folder "/usr/java/lib/fonts", and re-generate "fonts.dir" and re-config "local.conf". In that way, Asian characters can be displayed as new font, and Latin characters can be displayed as original font. But I notice folder /usr/java/lib/fonts is no longer a read-write folder now, even after running comand "mntroot rw". Seems some new restrictions are added to prevent making changes to this folder.

I know how to use an alternate font by adding empty file "USE_ALT_FONTS" and putting font files into folder "fonts" to device in USB mode. However, if I change a font in this way and read a book with an Asian font, the Asian characters will be pretty, but the English characters in that book will also displayed in Asian font, and will be ugly.

Does anyone know how to mount /usr/java/lib/fonts as a read-write folder? Thanks!
the mntroot script only affects the file system mounted on '/' (root filesystem).

/usr/java/lib/fonts may not be on that same file system.

hmm...
Lots of ways you could learn what file system that path is on.
For a *nix newbie, perhaps the easiest is to post the output of the 'mount' command. Let us read it back to you.
Just enter:
mount
at the Kindle command line, cut and paste the report in a code block of your next post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
/dev/loop/4 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)

rebuild the cramfs.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #4
back2iam
back2iam began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PaperWhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
/dev/loop/4 on /usr/java/lib/fonts type cramfs (ro,noatime,nodiratime)

rebuild the cramfs.
Please tell me in detail.
back2iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2iam View Post
Please tell me in detail.
1) Select your favorite web search engine (google will do)
2) Enter the phrase: rebuild cramfs
3) Press the return key
4) Select and read the information at the returned links.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=330

Among others... not mega tough to do. Knc1 has explained the process more than once on many threads. good luck
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@mimihuhu

the font config i used changes the Chinese fonts without affecting the original English fonts. you may want to give it a try. the font config can be found in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=126
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote