Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #16
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post
As for GraciousMe, who said in another thread she doesn't publish at Amazon, a cover with a size of 800 x 1000 px would be ok, though it has not the ideal ratio of 1.6 recommended by Amazon.
I have one with the ratio 800x1131. Could that work?

This book will later be published as an A5, the sizes comes from that, I think...

I get help from a designer, he´s the one who knows what these numbers mean.
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're getting stressed about a non-problem. Use the largest image you have, and everything will be just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
by this do you mean scaling it down to 1024 on the longest side?
I scale it down to 1024 lines horizontally.

Quote:
resizing the image would be done in a program like Photoshop or Gimp, and the svg wrapper is explained here
When using an SVG wrapper, you NEED to make sure the images dimensions are put in and not some arbitrary set of numbers. ADE doesn't display the image correctly unless the actual dimensions are in the SVG wrapper. Also, you want the SVG wrapper set so it keeps the correct aspect ratio of the cover image otherwise, it just looks off because it is off.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
purplepancake
Nameless Being

@GMcG

"Requirements for the size of your cover art have an ideal height/width ration of 1.6, this means:
• A minimum of 625 pixels on the shortest side and 1000 pixels on the longest side
• For best quality, your image would be 1563 pixels on the shortest side and 2500 pixels on the longest side

I just looked into an Amazon sample that had a cover 860 x 1226 px. The ratio is 1.426. So anything goes?
As for GraciousMe, who said in another thread she doesn't publish at Amazon, a cover with a size of 800 x 1000 px would be ok, though it has not the ideal ratio of 1.6 recommended by Amazon."

Thanks this has been useful as I've been playing around trying to get a better cover on a Kindle Paperwhite.

I started, following advice from elsewhere, with 600x800, ok but noticeably shorter than Amazon covers. I went up to 800x1280 as a ratio of 1.6 based on your post and other info. This is now the same height as Amazon covers but looks a little thin, being picky here.

So, I would suggest a near perfect rendition would be 960x1280 which at 1.33333 is yet another ratio.

Worth repeating though that I've only tried this on a Paperwhite.