Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The thread is titled:

25 Things Learned From Opening a Bookstore

The number one thing ought to be:

Don't Do It!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
You know, I wonder if a small bookstore could help cover losses by offering classes on how to use the various versions of eBook readers? Charge a nominal fee for the class, then be sure to show the class visitors your website with links tied to your Affiliate program.

The one thing that small bookstores (like most SMALL business) have over the large ones is personal service. Get user loyalty going, and offer something different, and they might be able to keep the business going...

Most people new to e-readers will still want print books for a while. Speaking only for myself, it took about 5 years before I switched completely to digital versions (although part of that had to do with the minimal selection available back in 2002 when I first started buying eBooks).

I think in bigger cities, small bookstores have a harder time because B&N (or BAMM or whatever) will come in and "take over". But I don't know...it's funny to read in other threads about how B&N sold books at a discount, when I tend to think of them as more expensive that discount stores, where I always bought books (I never buy hardbacks, which might be where the difference is).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #33
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
There is always room for specialty shops in every product... somewhere.
The question is, in fact, finding the right place for the product/service you specialize in.

The biggest problem facing bookstores is their cash cow has turned generic; the bigh volume movers--the so-called bestsellers--are available everywhere.
Their second biggest problem is that the rest of their product catalog is slow-moving, inventory-clogging, and is readily found online from vendors with enough reach and volume to be able to sell it at way lower prices.

This forces bookstores to sell service more than product.
Note what people who swear by B&M retailers focus on: the experience.
Note what people who swear at B&M retailers focus on: the experience.

If you find the right location and the right staff, you might actually survive opening a bookstore. Even in this climate.
But its not a trivial *if*.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote