Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
meadowlarkOR
meadowlarkOR began at the beginning.

Device: nook
How to rezip an epub file?

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, just starting to learn to create epub files. I'm on a PC. I've been able to get at the files inside the epub. I changed the .epub extension to .zip and then right-clicked and chose Extract All. Everything was there and editable.

However, when I reverse the process, my epub file won't open and I get an error message that's way above my pay grade. I chose the folder all the files were in and gave it a .zip extension. Then I changed that extension to .epub. No dice!

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong (or another resource I might try?)?

Thanks!
meadowlarkOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
mtrahan
Colonel Mustard
mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.mtrahan is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPhone 6, Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPad 2
You need to zip the files in a specific way. Give ePubPack a try — very simple, and does exactly what you need.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/epubpack/

Btw, to do it by hand, here's what you need to do:
  • Create an empty .zip file with whatever name you like (See notes below for detailed instructions on how to do this.)
  • Copy the mimetype file into the zip file (don't use compression on this file)
  • Copy the rest of the files and folders mentioned above into the zip file *
  • Re-name the .zip extension to .epub

* The specification recommends that the books files go in an "OEBPS" folder inside the zip file. If you put them in another spot, be sure that container.xml in the META-INF folder points to the correct location of the *.opf file.

Info from: http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/Tutorial03.shtml

Last edited by mtrahan; 12-04-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: More details
mtrahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Another way to do this is to import the epub into Calibre and use its "Tweak ePub" option. Right click on a title with an ePub and select "Tweak ePub" then "explode epub", edit any contained files and then "rebuild".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you extract the files from the ePub,m do not extract META-INF and metadata. Leave those alone. Then when you put back the rest of the files, the ePub will be compressed correctly (if it was correct before you extracted any of the contents).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowlarkOR View Post
...I'm on a PC. I've been able to get at the files inside the epub. I changed the .epub extension to .zip and then right-clicked and chose Extract All. Everything was there and editable....
I avoid re-zipping the ePub. I simply view the files in the ZIP version and manually drag out copies of the file(s) that needs editing. I make my fixes and then drag the fixed version back into the ZIP archive replacing the original.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I avoid re-zipping the ePub. I simply view the files in the ZIP version and manually drag out copies of the file(s) that needs editing. I make my fixes and then drag the fixed version back into the ZIP archive replacing the original.
That's the approach I use.

Using the "open with" option using winzip, dragging the file out and then back in after modification works a treat. Not had a problem with this from the hundreds I've modified.

Only need to do this though until Sigil retains the original epub structure, and then you can open it in Sigil instead.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post

Only need to do this though until Sigil retains the original epub structure, and then you can open it in Sigil instead...
There will still be need of this type of manipulation unless Sigil gets real sophisticated and adds the ability to have bitmaps be opened in an external app for editing. I find that adjusting images in Photoshop to be my most common use for this.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Since you're on Windows, the makers of the Atlantis Word Processor have published a free stand-alone program called "tweak_epub.exe" which will let you open, edit, and repack the epub. (I don't remember where to find it, but Google is your friend.)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
victorhugoa
victorhugoa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Oxygen allows you to work inside any epub file without decompressing changing names or anything like that. Simple and direct tool that opens the files inside, keeps the structure and there is no necessity to compress again.
victorhugoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
73ChargerFan
73ChargerFan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Calibre works just fine with unzipped/rezipped epub files using 7zip.

I'll try the other tools mentioned in this thread also.
73ChargerFan is offline   Reply With Quote