Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 05:11 AM   #31
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why, as a matter of interest, would you recommend v10 rather than the current v11?
It was just a recommendation of Abby: I wasn't aware 11 was out, and I'm happy enough with my current version.

I don't have massive amounts of expertise / experience with OCR software, but I was very impressed with Abby, since the last time I tried OCRing must have been 5 years ago, when the software clearly wasn't up to the job. Back then, it was barely more time-consuming to type the document out again. The way technology has developed in the last half-decade really has made life considerably easier (at least working / cultural life).
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #32
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
This Book Saver http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver looks interesting
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
This Book Saver http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/book-saver looks interesting
It looks interesting, but I'm skeptical about the "Scan hundreds of pages in just minutes" claim. Lifting the rig and the page flattener, flipping a page, and then putting the hardware back must take some time; 5 seconds maybe? It also has to be still when the picture is taken, or it will look blurry, so factor in some settling time. So maybe you can do 10 pages per minute or so. Still, that's quite a bit better than my OpticBook scanner.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
So maybe you can do 10 pages per minute or so. Still, that's quite a bit better than my OpticBook scanner.
On the Other Hand... my OpticBook has been in use for more than a year now, scanning away at 4 pages per minute whenever I need it. The IonAudio scanner has been "Coming soon" for longer than that, as I recall.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #35
sonofpendragon
Member Retired
sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonofpendragon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for PC
Two ideas which may appeal, then again they may not, depends.

Lower the DPI say, to 72, when scanning, but try and then save immediately to PNG and at the same time, up the DPI to 300. This may give you acceptable results, but of course a close check will be needed, but I have noticed, a lower DPI, a fast scanning time, which figures I suppose.

Or, is there an absolute need for converting back to text? Many books and ebooks are constructed of image files only. For some it is to avoid the OCR business, for others it is to retain the look and the 'smell' as it were of the original antiquarian book, because then, calling it a facsimile carries some weight, and you do find that even the faded edges caused through the years passing, give it a stylised oldy charm.

Obviously, if you do obtain a faster scanner, then great, but if not, then either of the above just could help a tad.

SofP
sonofpendragon is offline   Reply With Quote