Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #46
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I needed to notify PayPal immediately because BoB had actually RECEIVED the money.
Sorry but you clearly have no idea how credit card transactions actually work. You sending the funds and them coming out of your account (a credit card is a type of account) does NOT mean the person or company you're paying gets those funds in the same immediate moment. They do not.

You jumped the gun in filing a claim & you end up penalizing their account with PayPal because you initiated a dispute.

Try being a merchant sometime & see the other end of the transaction.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Not online I don't. With the exception of Amazon (and a one-time HP TouchPad purchase), I also make it a point not to buy from online stores that don't have a B&M presence in my area.

I don't buy from MR, so I have no need for CS.
I do try to buy from online stores that have a pickup point in my area, but mostly for the more expensive purchases.

About contacting PayPal immediately, don't you have a 30 day window in which a transaction can be reversed? Or is that only here?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
About contacting PayPal immediately, don't you have a 30 day window in which a transaction can be reversed? Or is that only here?
I have no idea. I don't do PayPal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #49
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Sorry but you clearly have no idea how credit card transactions actually work. You sending the funds and them coming out of your account (a credit card is a type of account) does NOT mean the person or company you're paying gets those funds in the same immediate moment. They do not.
While that is true of the credit card payment, PayPal isn't a credit card. He said he'd confirmed with PayPal that they had delivered the money, and they do know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
You jumped the gun in filing a claim
That, however, is still true, and I'm sure he'll pay the price for it. (A lot of merchants track such things, and some are known to share such information. He may find it difficult to get some web sites to take his money in the future.)
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #50
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
I had my Humana health insurance policy cancelled because of an overly cautious credit card screening (reinstated quickly enough, but boy was I PO'd) which I attempted to use for recurring payments. I also recently had an online transaction that charged me twice for one order.... resolved but it took about 48 hours to clear to my satisfaction.
I have a credit card which always chokes on Jamba Juice. I have a refillable JJ card for one of my sons. So I set up a recurring "refill" on the JJ site, using the credit card. Meanwhile, I kept getting calls from the credit card company asking me to verify purchases. Eventually it dawned on me that the common purchase was the JJ charge. I switched to a different card for JJ purposes, & that took care of that...
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #51
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lessons so far:

1. don't use PayPal for large transactions, or ones that you really care about.
2. don't trust Books on Board.
3. don't leave your ebooks where the seller can repossess them.
4. always have a cash stash when you travel.

Have I missed any?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #52
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
Lessons so far:

1. don't use PayPal for large transactions, or ones that you really care about.
2. don't trust Books on Board.
3. don't leave your ebooks where the seller can repossess them.
4. always have a cash stash when you travel.

Have I missed any?
5. There is no action or inaction that will seem appropriate by all MobileRead members.
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #53
KJohnson
KJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-booksKJohnson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony505
Responding to the recent support issue with the locking of a transaction on our site: We of course regret a customer encountered this temporary lock (I am unaware of any that have needed 24 hours to be examined and released, I think in this case it was as much as 4 hours due to the minimal staffing on the holiday and timing of the purchase). Unfortunately, we experience higher rates of fraud on holidays as these people seem most active when they think the guard is down and we are a bit more stringent in keeping an eye on transactions. We do apologize to any of our legitimate customers that are affected and depend on their understanding that we are doing what we can to protect the innocent. We attempt to exempt any of our customers who have a purchase and payment history with our site, but on occasion it is possible for even a repeat customer to trip the system unless they have been exempted from it. Anytime a legitimate customer is affected we correct this oversight as soon as we are made aware of it.
While we do close our support on the major holidays, there is always a staff member keeping an eye on the locks of any transactions. Most are vetted and resolved within minutes. Should anyone here ever receive a support response that they feel is sub-standard please contact me personally and I will correct, kurtj@booksonboard.com.
It helps a great deal if customers establish verified Paypal or Google accounts. Both of these payment gateways are options on BooksOnBoard. Some may recall that for the first few years BooksOnBoard did not require customers to register an address or a credit card with our site in order to do business with us or browse our site. And until publishers imposed distribution territory restrictions, as if DRM wasn’t making eBooks hard enough already, and required retailers to collect physical addresses for tax purposes from customers did we begin to. We have always tried to make buying a book from us as close to a B&M transaction as possible. But we must have some fraud protection in place.
Credit card fraud and identity theft is just an unfortunate fact of life in ecommerce and we are dealing with it as best we are able. We have never collected and stored customer payment information – credit card numbers or account numbers of any kind, and no employee at BooksOnBoard ever has access to user cc numbers or account numbers at any time. Thus it is impossible for us to ever be responsible for allowing one of our customer’s credit cards or accounts to be compromised. We do not believe our customers should need to assume even the remotest of risk so that BooksOnBoard can protect itself from occasional negative comment about our fraud prevention or so we can follow our customers every online purchase. We want your eBook business, but what eBooks you buy and read is your business.
Are eBooks a target for cc thieves?
Absolutely. Since delivery is via download and there is no physical address with delivery confirmation or tracking, none of the payment gateway providers offers any seller protections for retailers of any content delivered online. Retailers are left unprotected to absorb the losses. There is no protection from payment gateways, credit card or banking companies and we will not punish the customer who lost or had their cc stolen. No one wants to see these costs passed on to honest customers, not retailers, not the customers.
KJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #54
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
5. There is no action or inaction that will seem appropriate by all MobileRead members.
This is where Eubonics comes in handy: Ain't nobody agree on nothing.