Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #76
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Because, if you have the font size set to very large, you might have the same "page number" on more than one screen, which would not help you go to a specific part of the book.

Regarding why they display 1046-56, and you only want 1046, why is having more information than you feel you need a problem? Only look at the first number, and ignore the rest, and others of us can use both numbers, if we want.
Which would be why I started my post with "For me at least," and "it would work smoother for me" Everyone has their likes and dislikes, and if this is the worst thing there is, I'm a happy camper Glad you like it the way it is - for me, this device would be a little better with a little less info. But it is nothing that is bothering me to any degree, just another viewpoint that I wanted to mention.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #77
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Wouldn't it be great if you could build a Kindle to order. Choose your casing style and colour and then customise the firmware onboard. Bit like an off-the-peg computer. That way everyone could choose what they wanted.

I think I'd plump for bamboo casing with memory card slot for unlimited extendable memory, a slide out keyboard please to make device not much bigger than the screen which would be made of unbreakable and scratch resistant plastic. In my dreams ...
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #78
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
well then I want a purple one with all the other stuff you said

but non hardware stuff should have some optons.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #79
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
The example you've used illustrates that page numbers are not ideal for referencing a position within a book.
Your professors would have had to obtain the same edition of the book if they wanted to check your references.
My point is that using the kindle system is meaningless to any professor unless he/she BOTH has a kindle AND has purchased the book on the kindle (possible, but unlikely). Page system means that although the proper edition needs to be tracked down, a library should have it (especially if, for instance, the work is being done at a major university).
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #80
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Locations are and always will be a flawed system as long as they count bytes instead of visible text.

None of my reasons for not liking locations has to do with a nostalgia for the smell or feel of paper books or a refusal to adapt to a new paradigm.

I don't like them because they are bad UI, misleading (precision != accuracy), and they don't and won't even match across files of the same exact title within the same format.

There are a million things I love about my Kindle, but whether a weakness affects me personally or not, I'd like to see the technology be the best it can be.

We need a standard that works at least somewhat across platforms, and any method that measures bytes doesn't even make it to the table.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #81
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
What I understand a "page" to be is the amount of content that fits on one unit of a display for a given formatting of the content. A display could be a piece of paper or an electronic screen. In either case the size of the display, the font used, the spacing, the formatting will all alter the amount of content that makes up one page.

An important characteristic of a page is that it is a function of the content (the text and any graphics), the display size, and the formatting. Because of this when you alter any of these three factors the paging changes. This is true for any kind of display be it paper or electronic.

Now I have ebooks on my reader that have static "page" numbers embedded in the text. I realize these are an attempt to reference the ebook content back to some unknown printed version of (hopefully) the same content. While I understand why somebody would find this useful how am I to know what printed version was used to determine this paging? What if there is no printed version? What if there are multiple printed versions? What if their are multiple editions of the content? And most confusing to me, shouldn't the page number on MY EREADER be based on the amount of content that I see on MY SCREEN rather than some unknown theoretical paper version? When ebooks become the dominate format are paper books going to have theoretical ebook based page number scattered throughout their pages?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 09-17-2010 at 09:16 AM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #82
captcrouton
Connoisseur
captcrouton has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
I vote with locations because as many books as I've read, I've only seen one page on my Kindle. What I would love is to have the screen saver match the book. Often people see the screen saver and they think I"m reading that author. Silly muggles.

In other news, I think that Alexander Dumas looks fresh off the cast of Welcome Back Kotter. But that's for another forum.
captcrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #83
jempweber
jempweber began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle for Mac
My biggest problem with Kindle is that I'm using binominal keys, i.e. Plant Key:
0:
Plant with flowers: go to 1
Plant without flowers: go to 2
1:
three or more flower petals: go to 3
less than three flower petals: go to 12
2:
woody plant: go to 24
non-woody plant: go to 32
3:
white flowers: go to PAGE 142
other colour: go to 4
4:
... You'll get the idea :-)

If I had a flowering plant with 5 white petals, I had to go to page 142, however on Kindle that is not possible with its locations in 128 bit steps... Any recommendation for an ereader with a way to find the original page numbers from the paper copy would be very much appreciated
jempweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Whoever converted that particular physical book to an ebook should have been smart enough to convert those hard coded cross-references to hyperlinks. That's hardly something that an eReader manufacturer is going to able to account for.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Precisely. Cross-references in eBook should be hyperlinks. That's an example of a "quick and nasty" eBook conversion, where the publisher didn't take the time to replace the page number references by hyperlinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #86
jpl83
jpl83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How about I'm reading a non fiction book and I want go go to Chapter 47 from the table of contents. How do I find that on my Kindle?
Thanks
jpl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl83 View Post
How about I'm reading a non fiction book and I want go go to Chapter 47 from the table of contents. How do I find that on my Kindle?
Thanks
How do you find what? The table of contents? Tap the top of the screen to display the menus, then "Goto", "Table of Contents".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote