Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Northern_Light
Northern_Light began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle questions from a newbie

Hi, I'm new to both your forums and to e-readers. I've looked around at the various kinds and I'm leaning strongly to the Kindle, but I have some questions to make sure it's right for me.

-I have an iPhone. There are a few books (those involving practical exercises, like cookbooks) where it would be really helpful to be able to read them on my iPhone. Is there a way to have the same book on both devices?

-I need to be able to highlight and make notes on some of the books I want to buy. Can I do that with Kindle?

-I'm concerned about the inability to handle epub format. My biggest concern is that a lot of the e-books I'd buy in the future are Pagan books that would be small press published/self-published. Does anyone know enough about that market to tell me if I'd be okay with the Kindle? For instance, Lulu books are available as PDF for Adobe Digital Editions. Can the Kindle read that?

-I'd also like to be able to read fan fiction and other web-published fiction. Calibre handles that for Kindle, right?

-How sturdy is the Kindle? With a cover, if I drop it on, say, a linoleum floor, will it be okay?

Thanks in advance-- there's an awful lot of confusing info to wade thru if you're completely new to this! So far the Kindle is looking like a good fit for me. I went to Best Buy and I liked how it handled over the Nook.
Northern_Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Light View Post
-I have an iPhone. There are a few books (those involving practical exercises, like cookbooks) where it would be really helpful to be able to read them on my iPhone. Is there a way to have the same book on both devices?

-I need to be able to highlight and make notes on some of the books I want to buy. Can I do that with Kindle?

-I'm concerned about the inability to handle epub format. My biggest concern is that a lot of the e-books I'd buy in the future are Pagan books that would be small press published/self-published. Does anyone know enough about that market to tell me if I'd be okay with the Kindle? For instance, Lulu books are available as PDF for Adobe Digital Editions. Can the Kindle read that?

-I'd also like to be able to read fan fiction and other web-published fiction. Calibre handles that for Kindle, right?

-How sturdy is the Kindle? With a cover, if I drop it on, say, a linoleum floor, will it be okay?

Thanks in advance-- there's an awful lot of confusing info to wade thru if you're completely new to this! So far the Kindle is looking like a good fit for me. I went to Best Buy and I liked how it handled over the Nook.
Just download the Kindle app from Apple's App store

Highlighting, yes, just do a web search & there'll be lots of results. You can make primitive notes, or install the note taking app from the forum.

For ePubs, search for "FBReader" & "FBKindle" on this forum. I installed it a few days ago & it seems ok, saving a conversion step.

I'm afraid there's no substitute for lots of research & reading with most devices nowadays.

Can you point us to this "awful lot of confusing info", as there seems to be lots of replication, understandably, but not sure about "confusing", unless you mean the info' assumes a great deal of knowledge from the reader?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Yes. The Kindle for iPhone app will allow you to do this.

Quote:
Highlights, bookmarks and notes... check.

Quote:
The Kindle can read pdf's. Whether or not it's an enjoyable reading experience depends on the pdf. Experiences with pdf's on a 6 inch kindle screen range from "wtf" to "I guess that doesn't suck." However, Adobe Digitital Editions will probably (but not certainly) have DRM--the Kindle won't be able to read that without stripping the DRM first. I know nothing about Pagan Books, but if they sell DRM free books, then you can convert them to mobi with Calibre.

Quote:
I don't know about Calibre solutions for this, but there are many browser add-ons that convert web-pages to Kindle compatible ebooks.

Quote:
How tall are you?
I'd like to say it would survive, but I wouldn't want to find out. My Kindle 2 has taken a couple of hard knocks with no issues, but I can't attest to the Kindle 3's sturdiness. Let's just say "no' to this question to play it safe.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
re: droppage, it also depends on the cover. there are some relatively flimsy cloth type covers that would do little, and then there are some beefy covers. my Kindle has had a fairly rough and tumble life and is doing ok. then there is someone who whacked herself on the head with her kindle ( I'm just reporting here!) and broke her Kindle. check out the covers thread above for all sorts of options

Merry Meet!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Would the average laptop or netbook survive a fall from a decent height? The Kindles weak point is the screen. I treat my Kindle the same way I do a netbook or laptop.

I have dropped my K1 a few times from about four or five feet and it has survived just fine. Both times it landed on a corner and not on the screen so that probably has something to do with it.

The K3 is really light bit nothing about its construction makes me worry that it is fragile, other then the screen issue. I have mine in a sleeve and am very comfortable with that.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Deja Moo
Enthusiast
Deja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipseDeja Moo can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PaperWhite
I dropped my K3 a couple of months ago (by coincidence on a linoleum floor). It landed on a corner and cracked the screen. It was in a sturdy case, too! It was just a small crack, but....

edit: Customer Service sent me a new one immediately. All I was really expecting was a deal on the repair.

Last edited by Deja Moo; 04-16-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Hyping Amazon Customer Service
Deja Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool check out this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Moo View Post
I dropped my K3 a couple of months ago (by coincidence on a linoleum floor). It landed on a corner and cracked the screen. It was in a sturdy case, too! It was just a small crack, but....

edit: Customer Service sent me a new one immediately. All I was really expecting was a deal on the repair.
check out this thread:

Kindle customer service too good to be true!

--
Alan

Last edited by alansplace; 04-17-2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: fix link
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If you are worried about accidental damage, you can get a two year Square Trade warranty that includes such protection for a pretty reasonable price.

Also, check out archiveofourown.org for fanfiction... any story can be downloaded in mobi format.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote